Other IP

Talk about Frozenbyte, general gaming topics, and everything else.
No Bic

Other IP

Postby No Bic » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:22 am

Have you guys ever tought of continuing a cancelled series? An example of this is the SiN series. Many people still wanted for the series to continue, and they were suggesting/thinking that valve may pick it up. While the SiN series may not be your ballpark, would you consider picking up other series? Maybe Kingpin: Life of Crime or B.R.E.E.D.?

Matti

Re: Other IP

Postby Matti » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:36 pm

No Bic wrote:Have you guys ever tought of continuing a cancelled series? An example of this is the SiN series. Many people still wanted for the series to continue, and they were suggesting/thinking that valve may pick it up. While the SiN series may not be your ballpark, would you consider picking up other series? Maybe Kingpin: Life of Crime or B.R.E.E.D.?

Oh noes! I've played (some) of those, and they all suck! Shadowgrounds serie is great compared to those suckers! Ok, Breed isn't that bad, but sequel better be much better if I'm to buy it.

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:15 am

breed was the poorest in terms of technology and game play. it could have been polished and fine tuned alot. out of curiousity, which ones did you play?
and btw, the company that made the game, brat degins, dissappeared. i'm assuming they went out of business, since their websites, bratdesigns.com and breedgame.com, have dissappeared.

Matti

Postby Matti » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:03 am

No Bic wrote:breed was the poorest in terms of technology and game play. it could have been polished and fine tuned alot. out of curiousity, which ones did you play?

Bit of Kingpin (my brother had it) and Breed almost through. Breed's graphics aren't top notch, but it deserves point about teammates, who can be pretty useful (pathfinding sucks though). Map design is good and very much different of your typical trench runs. Liked weapons too: SMG with scope is neat.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:20 pm

I think CD Projekt was bringing Kingpin (the original) back.

We'll probably continue making new IP of our own, or collaborating with others on their IP in a joint-project. If someone comes to us offering a great IP of course we could consider it but we're not actively searching for any other IPs. I think our creative side (i.e. new IP) is one of our biggest strengths, we just need to grow bigger to have resources to make all the great concepts a reality. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:53 pm

that's cool. but you know, many people want many IP back on the market. just saying. :D

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:36 pm

Yeah for sure... I'd love to see a new Death Rally game for example, or any game based on M.A.S.K., or a new Space Crusade game (well I guess WH40k games are close but they're a little different)... Or the ultimate game, a new X-COM (proper one, although I haven't played any of the recent remakes).

So yeah there's so many IPs to wish for... usually the rights to the IP are "problematic" legal-wise, though, so that's one reason they're not picked up. Many IPs are also not well-known anymore, so that's another.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:44 am

i can understand that IP has legal problems to them, but since many IPs are not well-known anymore, one could use that to their advantage. SiN, for example, wasn't really well-known (i didn't know about it) before 2006. Ritual created a new game, an bundled an older gem along with the new game. I actually enjoyed the original SiN, altough i didn't finish playing it.

Matti

Postby Matti » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:33 pm

fb_joel wrote:new Space Crusade game (well I guess WH40k games are close but they're a little different)...

Hey man! Space Crusade (with computer and without) IS WH40k! Space Marines kicking Chaos, genestealers and Dreadnoughs... enuff said ;)

Or the ultimate game, a new X-COM (proper one, although I haven't played any of the recent remakes).

Did you know that X-COM: UFO Defense was also sold with name UFO: Enemy Unknown? In practice UFO and X-COM titles are same serie. I'll introduce you UFO: Extraterrestrials and UFO: Alien Invasion

ZEUS_GB

Postby ZEUS_GB » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:33 am

Having another SiN released would be awesome I love that game. It's a shame it that Ritual were taken over and turned into a casual games developer.

BREED sucked because it was woefully executed and had so many unforgivable bugs but having said that the premise was quite good, it kinda reminded me of the Sci-Fi show Space Above and Beyond.
Check out my retro goodness YouTube channel

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:25 pm

Matti, yeah I was talking more about a new Space Crusade game gameplay-wise. I know it's based on WH40k (and the board game) but the new WH40k games are not the same as the old SC. (But I think there's remakes of Space Crusade/Space Hulk, so I should check them out).

And yes I did know the X-COM/UFO distinction. It was sold as X-COM: Ufo Defense in North America and UFO: Enemy Unknown in Europe as far as I remember. It's quite interesting that Terror from the Deep was sold as X-COM here in Europe too (and sadly I just noticed I don't have the original box!). Apocalypse I hated, even X-COM: Enforcer was more enjoyable (well not really), and I wish X-COM: Genesis would have seen the light of day (to be honest it probably would have sucked, and nowadays the old 3D graphics look bad. But it was exciting back then, I remember browsing the biggest X-COM fansites for information... I tried finding the Genesis clips on YouTube but they're not there, which is a bit odd. I somewhat liked Altar's UFO: Aftermath but didn't play the newer ones.

And I should definitely try out UFO: ET and maybe UFO: AI as well, thanks for reminding. I just wish I had more time. :(
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:41 am

BREED did suck, technically: HORRIBLE AI, map layout not very logical, and there were parts of the game that could fuck you over. Do any of you guys remember that part where you had to save some guy, and you have to follow him (he was in his space ship, you were in yours)? You had to go through a bunch of circles, yet you couldn't see any of them behind the light was too bright. That fucked me over quite a few times.
YET, I enjoyed it quick alot.

Matti

Postby Matti » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:07 pm

No Bic wrote:BREED did suck, technically: HORRIBLE AI, map layout not very logical

IMO map layout is much more logical than in Call of Duty :P

Do any of you guys remember that part where you had to save some guy, and you have to follow him (he was in his space ship, you were in yours)? You had to go through a bunch of circles, yet you couldn't see any of them behind the light was too bright.

Let me guess: it's in late part of the game, where aliens invade the mothership (forgot its name) and first objective is to defend location in ship by stand & deliver tactic. Running circles comes bit later, but it's not guy who needs to be saved, it's woman. Then she runs ahead, and gets herself killed. I haven't passed that yet, and maybe never will...

jasuk1970

Postby jasuk1970 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:03 pm

I'd love to see someone take up the Wizardry title and carry on with that. Wizardry 8 is still one of my most favourite RPG's.

Jas

ronnzz

Postby ronnzz » Mon May 11, 2009 5:28 pm

i really love those extreme action, could be exciting to me

Return to “General Chat”