POLL: Do you play RTS games for SP or MP?

Talk about Frozenbyte, general gaming topics, and everything else.

Do you play RTS games for the story or campaign or the multiplayer (ie, kicking serious ass)?

RTS Stories are awesome!
64%
I like playing campaigns, but I don't pay attention to the story. I may/may not play multiplayer.
No votes
I may/may not play the campaign(s), but multiplayer is awesome! Kicking Ass is an art!
29%
RTS games have stories/campaigns? ROFLMAO!
7%

Total votes: 14

No Bic

POLL: Do you play RTS games for SP or MP?

Postby No Bic » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:21 am

yea, read the question/options. This should be interesting. It should be interesting. Also: Discuss.
I think that RTS should be made as multiplayer games, with campaigns/stories being second priority.

ZEUS_GB

Re: POLL: Do you play RTS games for SP or MP?

Postby ZEUS_GB » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:27 am

I do like RTS game but as long as there's a decent enough story behind it but the game must be well executed and not have huge balance issues. I'm also not too bother about multi player as I don't go online with them.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:40 pm

Personally I prefer singleplayer campaigns with as much story as possible. The story doesn't really need to be great but it needs to progress the game and e.g. gameplay possibilities (new units and so on). I tend to want to be immersed in games and that happens easiest with a "good" story and atmosphere, and if that's missing then I don't usually see much reason to progress in the game. A good comparison would be any Westwood RTS (e.g. C&C or RA and even the later games) versus Total Annihilation. Total Annihilation is a good game gameplay-wise but I just lost interest in progressing the campaign at some point (after some 20 missions or so). Cutscenes as reward work quite well for me. I have fond memories of completing some of the harder missions in C&C and RA and being so happy when a new cutscene started. Granted, I was quite a bit younger then, so I'm not sure if the effect would be the same now.

I have played some RTS games in multiplayer too, and it's fun if the atmosphere is right. For me that means a bunch of guys in the same room/house with some social interaction afterwards (e.g. "haha, stealing all your ore right under your nose was so cool" and so on). Online I don't really get the same feeling and RTS games are very competitive online, so it's harder to enjoy. (Maybe I'm just not that good.)

Just my thoughts... I think there's room for both kind of RTS games, and they're equally justified.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Viking

Postby Viking » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:20 pm

I'm also much more into the single player aspect of RTS games. More than likely due to my MP skills being far too rubbish. :) There's just something about having a proper story to go through that makes it feel more involving and introducing slightly different goals than you could reproduce in MP. But I agree that all RTS should always have an MP aspect to them as well. More to increase the longevity of the game.

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:45 am

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION! lol
I made the same thread on the pure pwnage forums, since there are more people. It's fun to see what people answer.
http://forums.purepwnage.com/index.php?showtopic=79499
It seems that many people are on the opposite side (for now). I'm apparently in the minority when I say that I hate HL2's Alyx. I'm apparently minority when it comes to paying attention to storylines in RTS games.

Matti

Postby Matti » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:20 pm

In last millennia Total Annihilation was RTS game with best game engine, gameplay and user interface. Those reasons alone hooked me into game for over 5 years, made me buy two expansions and play them through (total 175 single player missions), then continue with multiplayer and modifications. Yeah, that game rocked BIG time and harder than Starcraft! Other (inferior) RTS games have kept me playing mostly becouse of storylines... and becouse I got fed up of TA... and becouse my PC can't handle Supreme Commander. With exception of TA and its mods, I don't really play RTS on-line (anymore), instead I play turn strategy ones.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:37 pm

A small bump and hey again. I'm in the army so I haven't got time to play the Shadowgrounds survivor nor visit these sites and report the crashing issues but anyway, on the topic.

For example Red Alert 2. Good story I have played it couple of times through and I liked it every time.

Hostile Waters.

Now... That's something beyond this universe. The story of it is totally unbelievable. I have played that game 69 times through. Yes. 69 times and I'm planning to play it again tomorrow.

Why? Because of its story. It's something so epic and it interwines so well to the gameplay and the gameplay interwines so well to the story that it's just awesome.

Even though Hostile Waters is RTS/FPS hybrid it still can be thought partly as a RTS game.

So in my opinion, the better the RTS game's story the better the game experience.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:51 am

you guys are extremely Story/SP centered, I cannot believe!
I wonder who the person who voted for option 4 is? I voted number 3.

Viking

Postby Viking » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:23 am

It's all down to personal taste really. Looking at what I consider to be the 2 most extreme ends of the spectrum, there are people that can spend most of their hours playing counter strike all day long but on the other hand there are those who can spend all their hours in world of warcraft. And they probably don't understand why the other does what they do. If that makes sense. :D

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:16 pm

Yeah these results are quite interesting (a small sample but still). Maybe the story in Shadowgrounds was more important than we have thought. :)

Hostile Waters was indeed a cool game. I probably played halfway through or something, but it was a very fresh game. There is a good making of article/interview about it on Rock Paper Shotgun.

I'm looking forward to Red Alert 3 a little bit (FMVs, here we come!). I didn't really like the graphical style of RA2 and I'm not yet sure how I feel about RA3, but nevertheless I want to complete that.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:01 pm

fb_joel wrote:I'm looking forward to Red Alert 3 a little bit (FMVs, here we come!). I didn't really like the graphical style of RA2 and I'm not yet sure how I feel about RA3, but nevertheless I want to complete that.

I hear it's going to have a disgusting DRM scheme. they should do it right (sorta like steam, or just a simple cd/dvd check) or don't do it at all.

Matti

Postby Matti » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:18 pm

Matti wrote:In last millennia Total Annihilation was RTS game with best game engine, gameplay and user interface. Those reasons alone hooked me into game for over 5 years, made me buy two expansions and play them through (total 175 single player missions), then continue with multiplayer and modifications. Yeah, that game rocked BIG time and harder than Starcraft!

Forgot to say, in TA story is about as important as it is in Duke Nukem 3D. But gameplay elements were top-notch. Starcraft has (much) better story, which is partly integrated to gameplay. In Ground Control gameplay and story elements are balanced well, and both are enjoyable. GC has only one major fault: in order to use limited AA weapons (carried by heavy tanks), game needs to be paused. That ain't gonna work in MP: "Excuse me, could we pause game pls, so I can blast your planes outta sky?" :P

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Thanks for the link Joel. I'll read it now. =)
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Malkael

Postby Malkael » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:46 am

fb_joel wrote:Yeah these results are quite interesting (a small sample but still). Maybe the story in Shadowgrounds was more important than we have thought. :)

Hostile Waters was indeed a cool game. I probably played halfway through or something, but it was a very fresh game. There is a good making of article/interview about it on Rock Paper Shotgun.

I'm looking forward to Red Alert 3 a little bit (FMVs, here we come!). I didn't really like the graphical style of RA2 and I'm not yet sure how I feel about RA3, but nevertheless I want to complete that.

Nothing wrong with a great singleplayer campaign story :), adds that extra dimension of atmosphere to the game if done well in my opinion. One of my examples would be the Brothers In Arms games, while they are not an RTS game they do have a great story in my opinion.
"I Join The Wild Spirits" - Ranger, Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim

Return to “General Chat”