FrozenByte with Amiga Roots?

Talk about Frozenbyte, general gaming topics, and everything else.
Cool_amigaN

FrozenByte with Amiga Roots?

Postby Cool_amigaN » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:01 am

Hello and greetings from Athens! I have played two games of FrozenByte: Trine and ShadowGrounds Survivor. Both games remind me a lot of two pure quality games of my favourite computer system: Amiga. Trine looks very much in concept with The Lost Vikings http://hol.abime.net/4042 and SGS reminds me Alien Breed (no need to post url I am sure everyone knows the game already). Especially in the trailer of Shadowgrounds (the first, 2005) I can clearly see in the begging of it a monitor that is the same as it was in Alien Breed series.

I don't know if this has been stated before but I would like to know eheter FrozenByte has some short of roots and connection with the Amiga (ex-gamers, users, crackers, democoders etc), given also your country, Finaland, which had very strong user base of Amiga. If yes, have you done any work I can find?

Thanks in advance!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: FrozenByte with Amiga Roots?

Postby fb_joel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:45 pm

A lot of our guys (and gals nowadays too) are/were hardcore gamers "back in the day" (this could mean very different things, ranging from MSX to NES and so on). So that influence probably shows in our games.

We're also an exception in the Finnish scene in the sense we don't have much demoscene background. We sometimes call ourselves as the second (or third) generation of Finnish game developers, because we more or less started out as gamers who wanted to make games, with no demoscene phase in-between. We have had some guys who have won e.g. Assembly compos though (our ex-inhouse-current-close-collaborator musician Ari has won numerous awards and our ex-animator also won a few).

The funny thing is that our games have always started out as very different than what they have eventually become. Shadowgrounds started off as a rather different game than what it turned out in the end (especially if you count the phase where our first game was a real time strategy game, heh). Trine started out as a very oldschool fantasy platformer and came out as a modern one instead. But of course good gameplay is good gameplay always, so there's lots of "old" elements in our games. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:27 pm

Since there's no collector's edition, is there a thing you guys can do, maybe weekly, maybe daily, for a while to explain the history of the games you've made and show screenshots and possibly videos of the process? This is a company I find I really have a heart for and would be very interested in the history and making of the properties you've released and anything else that's gone under the rug.

For instance, I'd really like to see how Shadowgrounds started out as an RTS. I'm assuming it was made like StarCraft or Trash. There were so many older 2D alien RTS games for PC which I've forgotten the names of, but I'm sure those are also important indicators of how it might've looked. To think, it became this top-down 3rd person shooter.

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:52 am

Saturn2888 wrote:Since there's no collector's edition, is there a thing you guys can do, maybe weekly, maybe daily, for a while to explain the history of the games you've made and show screenshots and possibly videos of the process? This is a company I find I really have a heart for and would be very interested in the history and making of the properties you've released and anything else that's gone under the rug.

For instance, I'd really like to see how Shadowgrounds started out as an RTS. I'm assuming it was made like StarCraft or Trash. There were so many older 2D alien RTS games for PC which I've forgotten the names of, but I'm sure those are also important indicators of how it might've looked. To think, it became this top-down 3rd person shooter.

same here. i think this is an awesome idea.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:17 pm

Yeah I think we'll do something like that eventually. It will happen when I have too much free time on my hands. So not very soon but one day. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:00 pm

Yay!

Return to “General Chat”