What games are you playing?

Talk about Frozenbyte, general gaming topics, and everything else.
Korinu

Postby Korinu » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:46 am

As i finished Shadowgrounds already, i'm playing FEAR again.
I'm waiting for The Movies. Hope i receive it tomorrow.

Matti

Postby Matti » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:14 pm

MegaMek

This is the game which eats about half of my time with computer games. MegaMek is based to rules of BattleTech and follows them almost to letter. Large number of official BattleTech units are included to game including 'Mechs (counting BattleMechs, QuadMechs and OmniMechs), ProtoMechs, infantry (counting battle armor), vehicles (counting tanks, hovercrafts and Mobile Long Tom) and some units of recently added elements: VTOL and naval. In addition to units game includes number of maps and random map generator (RMG). Host player can define parameters for RMG including amount of water, woods, rough, roads and so on. Game is open source and is in constant development. New elements are added and bugs squished on regular basis. New versions come available without schedule but it seems to be almost weekly basis.

For those who don't know about BattleTech, it is tactical war game on unit level. Main focus is in 12 meter tall walking war machines of mass destruction, commonly known BattleMech or 'Mech for short (in MegaMek called Mek becouse copyrights). Game is played in phases. Game starts with deployment phase where units are place to the map. It is followed by movement phase where units are moved and firing phase where targets are declared for weapons. Hit and damage calculations are made after target declarations. Next is physical phase where BattleMechs can use their own mass to make damage: punchs, kicks and push (to water).

MegaMek isn't most exciting game but it is tolerable with sufficient amount of cola and cookies. When something happens, it usually happens BIG time. Shouts of joy and damaged keyboards are not uncommon when playing MegaMek.

Would you like to know more?

MegaMekNET

MegaMekNET is on-line campaign game built around MegaMek. Short and sweet: players join to factions and fight over Inner Sphere ( = known galaxy). Players launch attacks against planets of opposing factions. Focus is conquering enemy. When enemy planet is captured which includes factory, it is possible use that factory to produce enemy units for own use. Other available task types include raids to steal units or components from enemy. Default server is based to year 3025 with level 1 technology only. Available units include most level 1 'Mechs and ground vehicles (not counting hovercrafts).

Would you like to know more?

MortarRound

Postby MortarRound » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:59 am

RTCW: Enemy-territory, Maple story, Conquer online, Warcraft III, Red alert, Diablo 2 + LoD, Adventure quest (not much, damn boring game :F) there´s some what i play (there is not all.. only them what i remember at the moment)

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:23 pm

Also I will soon play Fallout Tactics. I don't know why, but I think it is at least as good game as Fallout 1 and 2 are. I like the story, the atmosphere, the graphics, everything.

You should thank god that there aren't any "true" fallout fans here..if there were they would have ripped you to pieces for what you just said :lol:[/quote]

:evil: RRIPP.... :evil:

Let's see - I have these now...

Space Rangers 2 (superb gameplay)
Nethack
Fallout (actually, finished again last year)
Shadowgrounds (of course, but finished)
Geneforge (bad balance though)

And looking forward for these :
The Witcher
Heroes of MM V
Gothic III
Oblivion
NWN 2
Grotesque
Nuclear Nigtmare
Dungeon Delvers
Sam and Max Freelance Police
Bourgoisie
Omega Proejct
Project Offset

SD

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:12 pm

If they could reach me! :D In such a remote place like Finland there are lots of trees I can hide behind :P

But seriously, I like Fallout Tactics a lot. There's nothing I dislike in it, except maybe that it doesn't have a proper boss enemy in the end. I know the F01 and F02 puritists hate Fallout Tactics. I think their taste is too narrow. There is room for a combat strategy game in the Fallout universe.

I am waiting for Fallout3. It could be cool! Or a disaster, that is, but I will buy it anyway :)

Soon I will be playing FlatOut again. Also some Jazz Jackrabbit 2 playing will occur :)

Znake

Postby Znake » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:02 pm

I'm playing:

Action Quake 2
Reaction Quake 3
Quake 4
Guild Wars
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Qraft wrote:
*cough*metal gear-fanatic*cough*

what, me? 8)

Your not the only one. :)

I've had PSOne version of Metal Gear Solid.
I have:
PC version: Metal Gear Solid.
GC version: Metal Gear Solid:Twin Snakes
PS2 version: Metal Gear Solid2:Sons of Liberty & Metal Gear Solid 3:Snake Eater

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:02 pm

Sampo wrote:If they could reach me! :D In such a remote place like Finland there are lots of trees I can hide behind :P

Not from us other finns :wink:

Sampo wrote:But seriously, I like Fallout Tactics a lot. There's nothing I dislike in it, except maybe that it doesn't have a proper boss enemy in the end. I know the F01 and F02 puritists hate Fallout Tactics. I think their taste is too narrow. There is room for a combat strategy game in the Fallout universe.

Except its just combat strategy. Anyone can rip graphics from a tittle and do a mod and loose the original idea of a game. I tried FT too and I did not like it. Imho fallout creators just ran out of ideas and rode on the name trying instead of creativity. Sad so ah so sad. Not to mention the disaster of brotherhood of steel... :cry:

SD

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:34 pm

I'd like to point out, that the creators of F01 and F02 have nothing to do with Fallout Tactics and the PlayStation shooter game. Inteplay put some other studios to make these games since it owned the license, I believe.

Matti

Postby Matti » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:03 pm

Znake wrote:Quake 4

Still playing it? It took only 2 days for me and I can feel it in my head! Outch! :evil:

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:08 pm

Sampo wrote:I'd like to point out, that the creators of F01 and F02 have nothing to do with Fallout Tactics and the PlayStation shooter game. Inteplay put some other studios to make these games since it owned the license, I believe.

True. But ripping characters from fallout and dated AI does not make FT imho a great game...

F0/F1 can be forgiven of their outdated style for the great depth of a gameplay, but there is no excuse for FT...

Btw, as for Fallout 3, the latest info I have for it is that it was twice canceled before bought out by Bioware and then there have not been any news or updates for it since 2004. Do you have better info/link ?

SD

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:01 pm

Your Fallout 3 information is not completely correct. 'Van Buren', the Fallout 3 project of Black Isle (the original Fallout authors, I believe) was cancelled in 2004 (a earlier version was scrapped just after F02). It had been quite long in development, a lot of it was finished. I really don't know why it was cancelled.

Van Buren was cancelled in the Q1 of 2004. Bethesda Softworks (for example the Elder Scrolls series) bought the Fallout license from Interplay that year and announced in July 12th that they will be developing F03, 04 and 05. At least they have the license to do them all. Not much is known about the Bethesda Fallout 3, except it will take place after F02 and it will use SPECIAL system.

I believe Fallout 3 will be out in late 2006 or early 2007, but that is me, it is nothing official.

Some sources:
Wikipedia: Fallout 3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout_%2 ... #Fallout_3
Bethesda Announcement: http://www.bethsoft.com/news/pressrelease_071204.htm
Duck and Cover The Vault: the Van Buren article (interesting it is): http://vault.duckandcover.cx/index.php?title=Van_Buren
Duck and Cover The Vault: the Fallout 3 article (a stub): http://vault.duckandcover.cx/index.php?title=Fallout_3
NMA-Fallout: Fallout 3 FAQ: http://www.nma-fallout.com/content.php?page=fo3-faq

P.S.: I may have written some faulty info, but the sources should be as accurate as possible.

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:08 am

it would be nice to see some screens from the first version of Fallout 3 that was almost complete.
Game of the year 2006 :D

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:31 pm

I fear that it could have been a great game. But then again, why would Interplay cancel something promising?

During December '05 I played Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 1: Source through. Pure classics! I also heard about a promising project named Black Mesa: Source, a Half-Life 1 remake. A complete fan-based Source remake. It will be spectacular! Its release is probably at maximum one year ahead.

http://www.blackmesasource.com

Now I'm busy with one particular Jazz Jackrabbit 2 tileset. There's a thread and a screenshot about it in JCF, Jazz community forums. It will be released in less than a week :)

http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=14393

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:41 am

Mmm, the original Jazz Jackrabbit was a great game, and the countless editions and the sequel were ok too, if I remember. The original didn't have co-op but Jazz 2 did, right?

Anyway, I hope to be playing some Xbox 360 games next week. I bought one at the European launch but have only played a couple of hours of PGR3. Too busy with our own game(s)! Anyway, looking forward to playing Kameo soon. Should be pretty good.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:10 am

fb_joel wrote:Too busy with our own game(s)!

WHAT?????!!!!!

You must try the Fight Night 3 demo. damn it was good. Brutal, but good :wink:

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:02 am

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 has a cooperative mode, correct. Actually it is only a part of thing called 'party mode' which includes single computer cooperative, race, treasure hunt, deathmatch and the same in network and Internet play.

The Twilight Park was released in 6th of January. Now exploring the Knights of the Old Republic II universe as a light side jedi guardian ActionMan :p

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:18 am

Is Jazz Jackrabbit 2 a freeware?

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:46 am

It is not. The problem is that it is nowadays hard to obtain legally. However, there is some hope for the ones that are really trying: http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/node.p ... boutBuying

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:28 am

Have found a germen version of the game for a good price. but i dont not if that version onley is in german.

Sampo

Postby Sampo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:14 am

At least the version I bought (here in Finland) had multiple language choices. It is plain stupidity if the German version includes only German. You should find out how the things are.

Oliver

LSN

Postby Oliver » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:07 am

anybody playing Laser Squad Nemesis ?

Grisu

Postby Grisu » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:46 am

Qraft wrote:Have found a germen version of the game for a good price. but i dont not if that version onley is in german.

If I remember right an old version you could buy in Germany had multiple languages included.

What you can do is try to grab the demo version and copy over the English texts...

Magisoft

Postby Magisoft » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:11 pm

I have tested Laser Sguad Nemesis but I didin't like it. I play Halo multiplayer on PC, Civilization4 and AoE2. And of course, Shadowgrounds ;)
Be rich. Be hard. Be Richard.
http://www.suomipelit.com

Grisu

Postby Grisu » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:35 pm

Didn't you miss the Fallout series?

That one is great too. Your avatar says it all... :)

Pavok

Postby Pavok » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:05 am

Settlers (the original) is my number one game at the moment. Thanks to Dosbox and the other useful Dos-like programs I can play it with joystick and hear the music. And despite the years that have gone by it still is a killer game, yeah!
Cygnus.... Vismund Cygnus

Return to “General Chat”