New Engine?

Talk about Frozenbyte, general gaming topics, and everything else.
No Bic

New Engine?

Postby No Bic » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:42 am

Are you guys thinking of switching engines? It seems the logical choice since your fanbase is asking for online multiplayer and the current engine doesn't support it. The Unreal Development Kit is free for non-commercial use, so you guys could easily learn it on your own time. Only problem is money: I hear the unreal engine costs around $350,000 to license.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Re: New Engine?

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:04 pm

They are using their own engine so I doubt they are switching now. Also unreal engine uses unreal script for code which is mixture of all kinds of programming languages which also takes time to learn.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:19 pm

We've evaluated most commercial engines out there and they haven't really fit our purposes. So we'll continue with our own tech... That said, there will be no new games created with the SG/Trine engine... so... :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:11 am

so how does a dev team come around to building their own engine? Obviously you guys aren't creating from complete scratch because then you'd need to write all the algorithms for showing models and stuff.
Where is the starting point? Do you take old technology and build upon that? Or do you combine tools available to you?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:38 pm

I'm no expert on this but I'd say it's a mix of both. So yes, we are in fact rewriting many very "basic" algorithms and other kind of code that is related to gameplay and the very core of the engine. In a sense it's starting from scratch. Some parts will remain or get improved upon but a lot will simply be replaced with new, better code, and most importantly the underlying "core" is rewritten. The graphics engine was already modernized for Trine so with that we're just "building upon" on it (so that's the "showing models" part I guess). All in all it's a huge task and takes a lot of time but once it's done, it's going to be awesome. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:08 am

fb_joel wrote:I'm no expert on this but I'd say it's a mix of both. So yes, we are in fact rewriting many very "basic" algorithms and other kind of code that is related to gameplay and the very core of the engine. In a sense it's starting from scratch. Some parts will remain or get improved upon but a lot will simply be replaced with new, better code, and most importantly the underlying "core" is rewritten. The graphics engine was already modernized for Trine so with that we're just "building upon" on it (so that's the "showing models" part I guess). All in all it's a huge task and takes a lot of time but once it's done, it's going to be awesome. :)

So what exactly do you do at frozenbyte besides being a site admin?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:33 pm

Heh, we don't really have a site admin... I mean I am it I guess but I spend like 0,1% of my time on the website admin stuff (otherwise I guess we'd have got all those website and forums modifications done ages ago!). So that's not really what I do in general. :) If you're curious, you can check the credits for Shadowgrounds, Shadowgrounds Survivor and Trine, and see what I and our other guys and gals do (or rather, have done in the past).

So in essence, me and Lauri are doing our best to enable everyone here to focus on the actual games. So that means all kinds of management and business stuff, all the (basic) support stuff like posting here on the forums, everything that isn't directly part of the games (and frankly, we do have our hands in the games too but in my case it's rather minor nowadays, just some technical stuff like making sure dialogues are played in the correct spots, integrating localizations and simple stuff like that, and sometimes some story stuff too, whereas Lauri provides general design direction for the games and works with others to make sure our games are as great as they can be from the design standpoint). Now that we've grown a little bit we've also got a couple of new guys who are helping with various production issues and at some point they may start posting here more often too. We'll see. We're still a rather small team so everyone has to wear multiple hats, and in general we work as a team to get things done. It has worked well so far. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:47 am

1. What is the engine you guys are using? (or at least, which is the one you guys started with).
2. When is the next game coming?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:33 pm

The engine is our own, it doesn't really have a name. If you are truly interested in the history of the engine, you can go to Sebastian Aaltonen's website and read a bit about that (it's not really the same anymore though). And the new engine we are working on now is being written more or less completely from scratch.

The next game is coming sometime after the summer. We'll make announcements before/during the summer. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:36 pm

May I please have a sneak peek? OH PLEASY PLEASY PLEASY!!!?!?!?!?!!ONE1ONEO1ONEONE111

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:14 pm

We do have some "fan interaction" plans but they're not high priority yet, so it'll take a while. In any case it shouldn't take too many months now until some information/visuals are published... Maybe I'll add some sort of a countdown clock at some point (and then we can all see how it goes over and shows how late we are, heh).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:16 am

You have until, oh, I dunno....September 20th to make the annoucement. Or else you'll miss the deadline for the summer annoucement.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Noted. ;)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “General Chat”