Network games, please?

Talk about Frozenbyte, general gaming topics, and everything else.
Marou

Network games, please?

Postby Marou » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:09 am

I don't care whether its through Steam, or just LAN support, or Direct TCP games. I really love your games, and the only thing stopping me from gifting copies to friends is the lack of network play.

So, I'm not saying I won't be buying whatever you guys cook up in the future. I'm saying if it has network support I'll probably be buying 4+ copies instead of 2 (me and the wife).

Thanks, and keep doing your thing guys. The games you create bring me back to the good old days of gaming, and I really appreciate that you don't cripple them with DRM. I'm missing out on Settlers 7 right now due to it.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Network games, please?

Postby fb_joel » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Thanks. We are aware of this... We haven't made any official announcements yet but it's fairly safe to say that our future games will start to include proper multiplayer features (at least for those games where it makes sense). So I think a lot of people will be happy eventually, it just takes a while to get to that point. :)

And funny enough, I'm also missing out on Settlers 7 because of the same reason. Had the itch to play a game like that a week ago and then looked at the DRM requirements, and decided I don't want to support that kind of stuff. (Probably for the better because I have so little time now anyway.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Marou

Postby Marou » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:02 pm

We haven't made any official announcements yet but it's fairly safe to say that our future games will start to include proper multiplayer features (at least for those games where it makes sense).

Thats awesome, I can't wait. :D

Had the itch to play a game like that a week ago and then looked at the DRM requirements, and decided I don't want to support that kind of stuff.

Yeah, it's really retarded. I realize the publishers are often the ones pushing these crazy schemes on the developers, but you'd think they'd realize almost all piracy is by people who wouldn't buy the game anyways. They don't buy it either because they don't want it enough to pay for it, they don't want to buy without trying it and there is no demo, they want it really bad but are too broke to pay for it (everyone has been there), or they own it already and broke a disk or lost a CD key. (I've done this many times, kids are deadly to DVD/CD's).

Thanks again for the good news. Had to get that DRM tangent out of my system. :mrgreen:

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Marou wrote:I realize the publishers are often the ones pushing these crazy schemes on the developers, but you'd think they'd realize almost all piracy is by people who wouldn't buy the game anyways. They don't buy it either because they don't want it enough to pay for it, they don't want to buy without trying it and there is no demo, they want it really bad but are too broke to pay for it (everyone has been there), or they own it already and broke a disk or lost a CD key. (I've done this many times, kids are deadly to DVD/CD's).

That is so true. Every sentence is totally true. (Yes, I have pirated games for same reasons too. Haven't got money or there has been no demo and so on but I also have bought all those games which I have liked and wanted to tell the developers of those games that I support their ideas and the games they make.)

Anyway, good to hear that there will be network gaming option coming. :)
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:14 pm

Off the subject of piracy, From what I've seen, every 2 years there a release of a new game. Maybe this time we might see a release sooner, like 2010. Because of the last level of Trine, I'm assuming it will be related. No reason to put down a good IP especially when Shadowgrounds has a sequel game. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the new game isn't gonna be like Trine, but it will share some of the same aspects. The differences in the Shadowgrounds games will possibly be seen in this next Trine-related game.

If I'm right, it's as if we're doing the Ensemble Studios methodology here. If you research how that company worked, it would seem pretty similar. Most companies don't do stuff like this, and I really think they should as it can explore an IP from multiple angles and give a better grasp on what's all going on without having to relate the games together. The benefit of Frozenbyte's current approach is that it's not episodic. I sure would like episodic content if anyone could possibly do it right, but at least having separate, complete gaming experiences really does me in. My biggest quip will be if I can get others to enjoy the games in the same way I do. I don't think any else I've shown these games to has really understood the charm or the appeal.

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:29 am

Yeah totally. I think people are focusing a bit too much on Internet capabilities of the devices and not realizing the potential local play, something which could just as easily be integrated. It's really sad when your computer can see the computer next to it, but the game you're playing cannot and has to go to a server miles away to interact with it.

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:09 pm

More recently, I've been using online play now. I think there just aren't enough people physically around to play in my vicinity anymore which really sucks. I guess this is also why I haven't been playing many games lately besides the fact that most are single-player-only anyway.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed May 04, 2011 8:24 pm

Yeah. Just to confirm in case somebody comes to this thread now, Trine 2 will be our first game with online multiplayer, and basically from this point onwards all of our future games will have online multiplayer capaibilities (unless it just doesn't make sense for the game concept). :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:26 am

Joel, thanks for that :P. I still remember modem connecting to my friend's PC for online gaming back in the day. I'm sure you guys'll make it as smooth as other indie games like Magicka.

Question, are you still going to include local play? I really like the local stuff for when I have people over or a lack of extra copies. I mean, you guys have done an amazing job with multi-keyboard and mouse support in the past so I see no reason it wouldn't be just as good in another game of yours.

Is there going to be free-local play too? Like if I wanna play with my sister at home or over VPN, do I have to have her buy a copy too? I'm just curious. Personally I prefer free LAN play at least (similar to local co-op), but that's up to you guys.

Thanks for the update!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu May 05, 2011 3:28 pm

Oh I think our aim is a bit higher than Magicka's level of technical performance, to be perfectly honest. Magicka's not really a benchmark for a successful multiplayer launch, despite the game's other qualities. :)

Anyhow, yeah local co-op will be included in Trine 2. This means at least gamepads on all platforms, and most likely multiple keyboards/mice on Windows similarly to the original Trine.

LAN play is something that we most likely will not have at launch. I'm not going to promise it as an update either but it remains a possibility, we'll have to see how it goes. Free LAN play probably isn't going to be supported in any case, all players probably need to have their own copy.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:51 am

I was specifically noting how smoothly the online play is for Magicka. With tons of enemies on the screen and up to four players, it's smooth as can be for the most part aside from the game's random crashes and other fallbacks. The other neat thing is the ability to have a local player, a LAN player, and an online player all at the same time. I did this a few times so I could have someone connected to my machine along with me because I only have 2 copies of the game, one computer for my sister, and a friend connected online. I've never seen a game work this way before as it's something I've tried doing since the dial-up days because I only had one line to connect with. Plus, it helps to have one central point of entry instead of 2 of them saturating the bandwidth and causing higher latency.

You know, LAN play could always be emulated, even if not free, with IPs if someone's local. I mean, all it requires is a LAN tab in the Multiplayer option and have it only search broadcasting machines on the same subnet. Should be easy enough. In fact, it could be just as easy to combine LAN and Online since the machine is going to be broadcasting faster on LAN than WAN provided there was a way to search or filter.

If no LAN play at launch, does that mean all multiplayer is going through your servers instead of direct connections?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri May 06, 2011 3:29 pm

Ah, I understand the Magicka comment now. Trine 2 should be a rather smooth experience even with all the physics stuff going on. :)

As for LAN, we're going to launch Trine 2 with Steam. As far as I know Steam allows LAN play through the Offline mode, but I fear we may not have time to properly implement and test LAN before launch, in which case we'll probably just move it to an update. This is all speculation at this point because we haven't really looked into it so much yet, so it's a bit hard to say. I think we'll be a lot wiser closer to launch.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Sat May 07, 2011 1:56 am

Thank you very much! I'll make sure to look forward to that in the future.

Return to “General Chat”