PSN downtime affecting sales/profits

Talk about Frozenbyte, general gaming topics, and everything else.
No Bic

PSN downtime affecting sales/profits

Postby No Bic » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:31 am

i'm not sure if how much you can say about the subject, but how is the downtime affecting your sales?
what are frozenbyte's reactions to the PSN downtown and intrusion?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: PSN downtime affecting sales/profits

Postby fb_joel » Wed May 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Well we're saddened that it happened, it's a blow to the whole "system" - how big, that remains to be seen.

We will not be suffering from this directly, as Trine on the PSN is quite old now and thus not selling that much, and we only get a certain share of it anyway. We are worried a bit about how this affects PSN down the road - will users come back, and will the service attract new users as well as it did before, and will the average spending on the service be affected, etc...

As Trine 2 is coming in late summer 2011, we hope that PSN will have been fully functional for a long time by then, and that the repercussions aren't so severe.

So ultimately there's a lot of unknowns at this stage, but we don't expect it to harm us too badly.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Sat May 07, 2011 12:39 am

So how do you guys, as a company, feel about this incident? Has your trust for Sony/PSN diminished? Are you guys considering, based on the incidents, to expand to other services or to ditch the PSN altogether?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed May 11, 2011 7:04 pm

Trine 2 is coming for XBLA and PSN (and Win/Mac/Linux), so in that sense we're already expanding. It's got nothing to do with this situation though, that was our plan all along (to release our games on as many platforms as possible so most gamers can enjoy them). It also makes business sense of course. :)

As for trust, I wouldn't say this has had much effect on that. Sony has been and still is a good partner, although obviously they should have done a better job to prevent this, but I believe they're trying hard to rectify it now and that is good.

We do hope that PSN comes back online as soon as possible though. We actually had to readjust our internal task priorities a bit just now because of the downtime, but like I said earlier we don't expect any major direct consequences and I hope the service comes shortly.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “General Chat”