Frozenbyte's next game

Talk about Frozenbyte, general gaming topics, and everything else.

What kind of game will Frozenbytes next game be?

Action
58%
Simulation
2%
Racing
No votes
RPG
17%
RTS/TBS
13%
All of the above
10%

Total votes: 52

Hedgehog

Postby Hedgehog » Fri May 12, 2006 12:28 am

I'm an arcade gamer from origin, so maybe that's why I'm not enjoying RPGs (and don't mind the lack of saves :P).

dragontoothdw

Postby dragontoothdw » Fri May 12, 2006 5:46 am

jasper1988 wrote:yeah ok, but then more rpg elements in it
OR
a massive multiplayer online shooter!!!
were people are constantly shooting eachother!!!
with quests, need to buy ammo etc. and then you go to some thingy, people can actually shoot eachother, then like when you die you lose everything, guns ammo and everything, would be awesome, kinda wow only in shooterform :P

but then again, me have big fantasy :P

You need to let games be the games that they are! ok...they MIGHT add in something like having to go buy ammo (which i think is pretty retarded), but at core, it still should and still will be an 'action' game. msg to frozenbyte: if you make any RPG games that are in any-way related to WoW, i will shun you all for the rest of my existance.

jasper1988

Postby jasper1988 » Fri May 12, 2006 11:49 am

dragontoothdw wrote:if you make any RPG games that are in any-way related to WoW, i will "shun" you all for the rest of my existance.

shun - reject
dismiss

i c, but then again, i have only played wow for 1 month and then i didnt play it anymore.... :P
but like i said, "me have big fantasy" :P
w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t
and by the way, finland owns!!!!
"Ja Tässä Lihaa Ilman Vihaa!!!!" ;)

Morrin

Postby Morrin » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:15 pm

Whatever you do, make it original. Stay in the original style, don't sell your soul to the industry. Don't be the bitch, make others your bitch... Heh, okay, you got the point! :)

Matti

Postby Matti » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:22 am

Morrin wrote:Whatever you do, make it original.

More original stuff AFTER sequel of Shadowgrounds :)

LavaBall

Postby LavaBall » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:09 pm

I'm a fan of action games so I voted action.

dabski

Postby dabski » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:43 am

I would like to seen an expansion pack to Shadowgrounds that added some of the following things including new missions of course:

+coop over LAN/Internet (this is a must have!) not just for the new missions but also to the original ones.

+More movement control would be good also:
Crouching would be nice so that you could go into vents, duck behind crates etc.
Jumping would also be good for getting to higher places and maneuvering over obstacles.

+Would be nice to have a wider variety of environments
Underwater levels, possibly go diving from one underwater facility to another.
Maybe some snow and ice survived the terraforming

+FPS camera mode or 3rd person (just above the head) I don't care so much about this one but they might manage to increase their target audience if they include this.

+Slightly more realistic or give reasoning why things are they way that they are. e.g. the pistol with infinite ammo, give reason like they did in Serious Sam or have a melle weapon like tazer that could be charged by a dynamo like some torches.

+Lots of secrets like those that doom had were you had to hit a switch to open a door somewhere else or secret walls like those found in wolfenstien 3D.

+More interaction e.g. vehicles, mounted guns, trip bombs, pipe bombs, c4(remote), light switches, shootable lights, walls that can be blow up, laser fences/force fields that need to be shutdown to proceed, teleporters, hacking(similar to how you can already fix stuff, just that it applies to computers) etc.

+Some of the cool the things out of "MageSlayer" and "Take No Prisoners" these are both very good top view games especially the latter.

+Some more RPG elements like those found in replace e.g. more items not just guns, armor(common even doom had armor), slightly more in depth quests etc.

+More obstacles, maybe some toxic hazards who knows, can't think of much here.

+Smarter AI for some of the stronger aliens.

Hmm this is only a small list that I could come up with from the top of my head, I'll leave the rest to the game devs. :D
Last edited by dabski on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Morrin

Postby Morrin » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:24 am

dabski, those are some really good suggestions you have there!

But something what I so much missed in shadowgrounds: battlearmor! Make battlearmor available!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:23 pm

Ah the joy of knowing things but not being able to share them. ;)

I can say that some of those are indeed good suggestions, and there have been others in this thread and other threads too.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Morrin

Postby Morrin » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:33 pm

Some suggestions:

1. What about adding different scanners for character. Instead of normal flashlight, the flashlight could be changed to different scanners such as technology scanner, tracker (tracking footsteps), heat scanner, x-ray scanner and so on. When scanner would be activated, only the same area would work as scanning field as the flashlight does (not the whole screen).

2. You see only what you really see. Now that would bring the paranoia that this game needs. No monsters would show behind you, around corners, next room or whatever. You would only see things that you are really looking at. Wow, now that I think about it to shadowgrounds it really sounds scary! :D

LavaBall

Postby LavaBall » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:36 pm

Scary stuff more belongs to Penumbra Overture other then Shadowgrounds tough.

Morrin

Postby Morrin » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:37 pm

Many reviews complain(ed) that the game lacked scaryness or adrenaline. I think the game would be much better with some true excitement in it.

LavaBall

Postby LavaBall » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:08 pm

It isn't even released yet,Theres much surprise Penumbra is going to offer,Probably it isn't going to fail as much as other games did(Example Sonic 2006)

Matti

Postby Matti » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:08 pm

Morrin wrote:2. You see only what you really see. Now that would bring the paranoia that this game needs. No monsters would show behind you, around corners, next room or whatever. You would only see things that you are really looking at. Wow, now that I think about it to shadowgrounds it really sounds scary! :D

Just change to first person perspective and it'll do trick. Unpatched version don't show crosshair though, I hope patch will fix it. Trying it now.

[edit]
Confirmed. Cursor STILL goes missing when 1st person mode is activated. B00!

fb_ilkka

Postby fb_ilkka » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:34 am

You can also disable all lighting except the flashlight to get the same effect in a top-down view. Just type these commands into the console:

setLightmapBrightness 0
setColormapBrightness 0
\render_fakelights 0
disableLightgroup 0
disableLightgroup 9

The scripts mess with some of these, for example you have to disable the fakelights after every cutscene and respawn (and you will be dying a lot). The game was freaky enough, though. Somebody should make a mod...
// Ilkka, Frozenbyte team

Return to “General Chat”