future plans in relation to old ideas

Talk about Frozenbyte, general gaming topics, and everything else.
Pahanilmanlintu

future plans in relation to old ideas

Postby Pahanilmanlintu » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:15 pm

Some years ago Frozenbyte was working on a sci-fi themed game called Disposable Heroes combining strategic team management and tactical combat. I mean the time of the technology demo with Pinza's ohsogood Lost In The Woods going on in the background. There was supposed to be a group of mercenaries under the player's command and the whole picture seemed to resemble old X-Com and Mechwarrior series of games with random generated missions and such. I was quite thrilled about those ideas at the time but then nothing of the team was heard for a long time... then again a lot of the ideas were extremely ambitious, so it would seem logical to think that the randomness was cut out in favour of a plot that could be realistically pulled off. Especially when some of Shadowgrounds' features seem to be from that time (imaginative upgradable weapons and the view angle at least).

So the description of Shadowgrounds made me (optimistic that i am :) ) think that maybe you guys want to finish a simpler game first as a stepping stone to get a bit of income and be able to work with mature technology and some kind of a budget on a new game with more ambitious ideas. After all, the technology used for Sg would probably be very reusable as such for a project like the old DH.

So, am i completely lost with my reasoning here? It might be just that i'm being optimistic, as i'm not so much into linear plot-driven games, but more into games where i can make my own plot with my personal involvement and decicions and where each game is different.

Oh and btw, Sg looks good :)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:40 pm

Heh. Somebody has been following things closely. I guess Qraft will be pleased with this info. 8)

Anyway, you have some valid points. I'll talk more in the upcoming devdiary. We might someday get back to the mercenary idea, because a lot of us here would like to develop that idea further... Probably not in the next year, though.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:39 pm

I always like to get news and history about Frozenbyte and Shadowgrounds.

Hell, i might start a fan site someday :D :wink:
Game of the year 2006 :D

Return to “General Chat”