Alien Breed remake (something to play between SG levels!)

Talk about Frozenbyte, general gaming topics, and everything else.
Damage

Alien Breed remake (something to play between SG levels!)

Postby Damage » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:18 am

Playing the glorious Shadowgrounds has really whet my appetite for playing the Amiga classic Alien Breed again.

For those of you who've not seen it, it's along similar lines to SG, but was written back in the early 90's by Team 17, and is a top down shooter with hordes of nasty aliens, loads of weapons, creepy levels and cool effects. Oh, and big nasty boss aliens and panic dashes for the exit before the level self-destructs...

So, anyway, I had a look on good old Wikipedia and stumbled across an absolutely flawless remake for XP.. Result!

Exact in every detail, down to the slightest sound effects and design, and plays perfectly on XP. And you can save, which makes the game actually playable rather than murderously difficult (but still great) as it used to be..

Find it here, it's only a tiny download and it's freeware, too! See the readme in the zip for controls. You don't even have to install it, just unzip and play from the folder.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/xavnet/alienbreed/

Enjoy.

D

8)
Gonna Rip 'em a New One

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:48 pm

Yup, it's a good one. I recommend checking it out too. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

dizzy_2.0

Postby dizzy_2.0 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:28 am

I think you can find the original game on some abandon-ware sites, too... (I found it but I dont remeber where)
well, I don't seem to be very good at this game and it's quite annoying that you aren't able to clear a room but it's fun anyway :D

Matti

Postby Matti » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:20 am

I recall playing demo versions of Alien Breed and Tower Assault (sequel?) on PC. Nice games, though I despise respawning enemies.

By the way, have you noticed that enemies of those games reminds about Xenomorphs of Alien movies?

Morrin

Postby Morrin » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:26 pm

Sorry for a bit necromancy, but this is really great! Thanks a lot man! I have been thinking of getting this game from somewhere, but now XP compatible.. GREAT!

SeCko

Postby SeCko » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:04 am

I feel really nostalgic when I play the game :)
Ding dong the wicked witch is dead

Return to “General Chat”