Guess the Genre!

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.

Can you guess the genre of our next game?

Puzzle game (Bejeweled, Tetris...)
14%
Massively multiplayer online (World of Warcraft, EVE online...)
No votes
Driving game (Gran Turismo, FlatOut...)
No votes
Shooter (Call of Duty, Halo ...)
5%
Party game (Mario Party, Fusion Frenzy...)
5%
Arcade classic (Pac Man, Donkey Kong...)
No votes
Flight game (Crimson skies, Flight Simulator...)
No votes
Real-time strategy (Command & Conquer, Starcraft...)
18%
Survival horror (Resident Evil, Silent Hill...)
No votes
Life simulation (The Sims, SimCity...)
No votes
Platformer game (Super Mario, Viewtiful Joe...)
5%
Action game (God of War, Grand Theft Auto...)
5%
Sports game (NHL, PES...)
No votes
Role playing (Oblivion, Fallout...)
27%
Fighting (Super Smash Bros, Dead or Alive...)
5%
Strategy (Civilization, Age of Empires)
9%
Adventure game (Myst, Monkey Island...)
9%
Music & rhythm (Guitar Hero, Donkey Konga...)
No votes

Total votes: 22

fb_joel
Site Admin

Guess the Genre!

Postby fb_joel » Tue May 27, 2008 12:06 am

Let's see how many of you get this right... Guess the genre of the next Frozenbyte game.

Rules are simple: take a guess and let's see how it goes. If you happen to have read an article on the game, please don't post it in the thread (you can vote but of course it takes a bit of the fun out).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Morrin

Re: Guess the Genre!

Postby Morrin » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:35 pm

I just voted for something I want to happen but will most propably not: party game. :D
I think you could really deliver that kind of game..

Propably action who knows. Some arcade-styled racing game would totally kick ass too!

ZEUS_GB

Postby ZEUS_GB » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:30 pm

With all the RPG elements of SGS Survivor it would be easy to pick RPG but something just made me pick RTS.
If it was to be an RTS I would like it a bit more action orientated like C&C.
Check out my retro goodness YouTube channel

atarix

Postby atarix » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:14 pm

i hope it`s not rts.

it`ll be awesome to see a shadowground game in survival fps horror in a dark and behind imagination environment. hm...may be something similiar to upcoming deadspace.

Matti

Postby Matti » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:53 pm

atarix wrote:i hope it`s not rts.

Why so? Not fan of genre? Personally I liked the original idea about tactical level game... RTS was it? Of course turn-based game on same level gives plenty more control over character actions, like in UFO, X-COM and Jagged Alliance series, but well done (pausable) RTS isn't bad either: I liked system in Knights of the Old Republic

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:01 am

i went for roll playing. can also be horror/action. i don't think rts is their style.
so...what is the game?

Ultragamer

Postby Ultragamer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:32 am

Matti wrote:
atarix wrote:i hope it`s not rts.

Why so? Not fan of genre? Personally I liked the original idea about tactical level game... RTS was it? Of course turn-based game on same level gives plenty more control over character actions, like in UFO, X-COM and Jagged Alliance series, but well done (pausable) RTS isn't bad either: I liked system in Knights of the Old Republic

KotOR isn't an RTS it's an RPRTTBG - Role-Playing Real-Time Turn-Based Game :P!...Yea thats how any rpg works (except some of the shooters like Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion).

Back to the subject I think they're next game will be an RTS.

That also is a good idea with it being a Survival Horror FPS. Woot, close-combat with big brutes :D.
Last edited by Ultragamer on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ultragamer = Source Mapper, Shadowgrounds Mapper, LUA Scripter.

Shadowgrounds = Best Action Game I've Ever Played

Keep up the good work!

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:43 pm

if it's RTS, it must have online/multiplayer capabilities. and they must support the game until it is fully balanced. and rts is not a good one if you cant kick ass online.
seriously, i've played many RTS game, sp and mp, and all I can remember in terms of storyline from their sp missions: collect minerals, build units, defeat the enemy.

ZEUS_GB

Postby ZEUS_GB » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:31 pm

No Bic wrote:if it's RTS, it must have online/multiplayer capabilities. and they must support the game until it is fully balanced. and rts is not a good one if you cant kick ass online.
seriously, i've played many RTS game, sp and mp, and all I can remember in terms of storyline from their sp missions: collect minerals, build units, defeat the enemy.

If it is an RTS then multiplayer is a must.
Check out my retro goodness YouTube channel

Matti

Postby Matti » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:31 pm

No Bic wrote:seriously, i've played many RTS game, sp and mp, and all I can remember in terms of storyline from their sp missions: collect minerals, build units, defeat the enemy.

Either you have bad memory, or if game is licensed from somewhere, you haven't familiarized yourself with background material. Dune game serie can be played without reading the novels (did that), but after reading the first novel, games made so much more sense.

Viking

Postby Viking » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:14 pm

I'm all for seeing a puzzle game with super-deformed SG characters in it along the lines of Puzzle Fighter. LOL.

If that doesn't happen then definitely something along the lines of an RPG, Fallout style, or an RTS.

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:28 am

Matti wrote:
No Bic wrote:seriously, i've played many RTS game, sp and mp, and all I can remember in terms of storyline from their sp missions: collect minerals, build units, defeat the enemy.

Either you have bad memory, or if game is licensed from somewhere, you haven't familiarized yourself with background material. Dune game serie can be played without reading the novels (did that), but after reading the first novel, games made so much more sense.

i don't think the majority of people pay much attention to the story in RTS games. i would say that the story in RTS games is like the story in naughty movies. you might pay attention, but you probably don't give a shit about it. i played starcraft sp, and earth 2160 sp. The other ones i played, Warcraft 3, C&C, and Dawn of war, i only played mp. i have no interest in play an RTS for the sp. whenever a friend mentions an rts, it's always about playing against each other, or against other people/computers. all i know (and care) about the story in rts games is: there are a bunch of factions/races/w/e that are at war with each other; they collect resources, they build bases/weapons/soldiers and they kill the shit out of each other.

Matti

Postby Matti » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:58 am

No Bic wrote:i don't think the majority of people pay much attention to the story in RTS games. i would say that the story in RTS games is like the story in naughty movies. you might pay attention, but you probably don't give a shit about it.

Then you miss whole lot of the game: DoW serie seems to have pretty decent story, which makes sense even when player don't know much about WH40k universe. Games like Warhammer (40k), BattleTech, Starfleet Battles (called Starfleet Command in computers) and few others have universe all their own. Games can be played without knowing all the sourcebooks, novels, TV series, movies, and rest, but reading/watching those is half the fun.

Not all (computer) games have such extensive background material, but Homeworld, Ground Control, and Shadowgrounds did pretty good with what they provide.

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:40 pm

Matti wrote:
No Bic wrote:i don't think the majority of people pay much attention to the story in RTS games. i would say that the story in RTS games is like the story in naughty movies. you might pay attention, but you probably don't give a shit about it.

Then you miss whole lot of the game: DoW serie seems to have pretty decent story, which makes sense even when player don't know much about WH40k universe. Games like Warhammer (40k), BattleTech, Starfleet Battles (called Starfleet Command in computers) and few others have universe all their own. Games can be played without knowing all the sourcebooks, novels, TV series, movies, and rest, but reading/watching those is half the fun.

Not all (computer) games have such extensive background material, but Homeworld, Ground Control, and Shadowgrounds did pretty good with what they provide.

im talking about RTS games. some games styles are meant for the players to kick ass, such as SC2. And you also don't play fighting games or puzzle games for the storyline.. I'll pay attention to the story line (and enjoy it) of other types of games, such as Shadowgrounds,HL2, or Bioshock. Dawn of War may have a good campaign, but I never played the campaign, and I don't think my friends did either.

Matti

Postby Matti » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:42 am

No Bic wrote:im talking about RTS games.

So did I: Dawn of War, Ground Control and Homeworld are RTS games. MechCommander serie (computer games based on BattleTech) are RTS. Starfleet Command may also be considered as RTS game.

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:51 pm

So you tell me you care about a generic storyline? many game genres have generic storylines, but i rts are the most generic imo. You play as a faction/race and you try to eliminate all the others by building and researching units/technologies and killing you enemy 10 times past dead.

Matti

Postby Matti » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:18 pm

No Bic wrote:So you tell me you care about a generic storyline? many game genres have generic storylines, but i rts are the most generic imo. You play as a faction/race and you try to eliminate all the others by building and researching units/technologies and killing you enemy 10 times past dead.

Clearly shows you don't pay attention to story lines. What you describe, might fit for Command & Conquer serie and Total Annihilation. But story of Homeworld is about long way home, and all the killing on the way is just about matter of surviving. In Ground Control the control of alien artefacts (nearly indestructible obelisks) outweighs the bodycount. In Dawn of War total victory is just wishful thinking against endless waves of orcs. in DoA Winter Assault objective is recovery of ancient warmachine (Titan), or something else depending what faction player chooses to play, and it doesn't include elimination of every other faction (at least when played with Eldar).

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:22 am

i created a poll in the General Chat Forum.

atarix

Postby atarix » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:04 pm

I got a feeling...you know i like some RTS games, but the last ones are such an empty graphical trash with standart formulas "eat, build, eat, destroy, eat". I hope Frozenbyte can do an innovation in this (not only hope but sure!) genre. Anyway, i believe dat FB can do something much more greater than another RTS.

Matti

Postby Matti » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:54 pm

atarix wrote:I got a feeling...you know i like some RTS games, but the last ones are such an empty graphical trash with standart formulas "eat, build, eat, destroy, eat". I hope Frozenbyte can do an innovation in this (not only hope but sure!) genre. Anyway, i believe dat FB can do something much more greater than another RTS.

Remove parts eat and build, and it gets lot better, as demonstrated by Close Combat serie, Ground Control and Total Annihilation Battle Tactics ;)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:34 pm

This is quite fun in retrospective. :D
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

leaf876

Postby leaf876 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:56 pm

Just had to choose role playing ><. I really love games which have a captivating story to them. After seeing how imaginatively creative 'Trine' was i just couldn't help but think that you guys can come up with a brilliant story and gameplay to match. :D

PS I'm waiting impatiently for the 'Trine' released, few more months and i might just explode :evil: ... :wink:

Return to “Trine”