Beta Closed/Public?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
KimV

Beta Closed/Public?

Postby KimV » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:50 am

I know you guys are doing playtesting obviously, but..

What about beta testing? A closed one with signups only and feedback requirements obviously?
Many games I've played really did get a better launch with bugs/balance issues being as close to perfection as possible with a wider view of the audience?

What is your stand on this? Is it decided if it's no or go? Is it still up for discussion?

No Bic

Re: Beta Closed/Public?

Postby No Bic » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:23 pm

I approve of a closed and/or public beta. That is all.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:42 pm

I think Frozenbyte will say no because how on Earth they could know to whom they are giving their software? It could be a hacker, cracker, leaker or anyone.

Also, how they could know that you really are going to test it and not just play it for fun?

So I think they just say no to make things easier for them.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

chip5541

Postby chip5541 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:20 am

I have been involved with several Beta test for both the PC and PS3, including the PSP. For the PS3, everyone is given an individual code that is used to DL the game/beta. Once used the code is no longer good to DL the beta on any other PS3 because it is assigned to only your account. If you are dumb enough the give out your user name and password so other can access your account and Sony finds out, you can end up with your account deleted.

There is no there a guarantee that any Beta will not be hacked or a Beta tester will only want in to play the game. God knows I have seen that all too many times. In Pacific Storm: Allies we started off with about 12 testers and only ended up with 4 actual people submitting things. Very disappointing to say the least. The best thing would be for the developers to take applications and to select those with a history of Beta testing.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:04 pm

:) "History of beta-testing." Why that sounds so familiar. :D
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

vicce666

Postby vicce666 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:57 pm

i vote for some weeks of closed beta, to find the major bugs.. then a public to attract the crowd! i think that thats the only way to get unsure people to buy it!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:07 pm

We'll see what happens. PS3 does open up some possibilities and make a closed beta more secure - on PC it's probably not going to happen for Trine.

It's also worth mentioning that as a singleplayer/co-op game Trine is much easier to balance etc than an MMO. An MMO basically needs a beta of some sorts, whereas a singleplayer game can be balanced quite well by the development team.

However, we do plan to have some user tests here in our office where we invite people from the Playtesting database ( http://frozenbyte.com/playtest/ ) to come over and test the game briefly. This is mostly limited to Finnish gamers of course, and we're not yet sure when we'll do this.

Ultimately there will be a demo of the game for those "unsure" buyers.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

chip5541

Postby chip5541 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:35 am

Flying scares me and ocean travel... I haven't gone near the ocean since I saw Jaws back in '76. I guess I will have to wait for teh demo. :)

No Bic

Postby No Bic » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:45 am

chip5541 wrote:Flying scares me and ocean travel... I haven't gone near the ocean since I saw Jaws back in '76. I guess I will have to wait for teh demo. :)

:shock: no airplane for 30 years?

Viper7

Postby Viper7 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:15 am

Hmm should I or should I not leave aplication for playtesting. Its a bit huzzle to take a bus from Rauma to helskinki but a hell of a lot easier than taking a plane from country like UK. Helsinki is a big city so its easy to get lost. Gotta think about it :P

chip5541

Postby chip5541 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Reported above poster

Agriel

Postby Agriel » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:49 am

fb_joel wrote:We'll see what happens. PS3 does open up some possibilities and make a closed beta more secure - on PC it's probably not going to happen for Trine.

It's also worth mentioning that as a singleplayer/co-op game Trine is much easier to balance etc than an MMO. An MMO basically needs a beta of some sorts, whereas a singleplayer game can be balanced quite well by the development team.

However, we do plan to have some user tests here in our office where we invite people from the Playtesting database ( http://frozenbyte.com/playtest/ ) to come over and test the game briefly. This is mostly limited to Finnish gamers of course, and we're not yet sure when we'll do this.

Ultimately there will be a demo of the game for those "unsure" buyers.

What chance does and american living in Finland have at being a part of this lol

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Agriel wrote:What chance does and american living in Finland have at being a part of this lol

If you are able to come to our office it's all we need. The testing schedule is still open, but should be at latest beginning of May.

Agriel

Postby Agriel » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:42 pm

Your based in Helsinki right? I could put aside some time for this, if I was accepted for it.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:19 pm

Agriel wrote:Your based in Helsinki right? I could put aside some time for this, if I was accepted for it.

Yes, we are in Helsinki. Please fill the playtesting form found at http://frozenbyte.com/playtest/ to apply :)

Agriel

Postby Agriel » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:05 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:
Agriel wrote:Your based in Helsinki right? I could put aside some time for this, if I was accepted for it.

Yes, we are in Helsinki. Please fill the playtesting form found at http://frozenbyte.com/playtest/ to apply :)

thanks, and yea I filled that out about a week or so ago. Will keep checking my e-mail hoping lol

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:16 pm

Hello everyone! I just wanted to inform everyone who was interested about beta that ultimately we didn't have any time to setup any beta or external testing. So, if you were not picked for testing that's since no-one was picked! :D

For our next game we will use external testers from very beginning of the project, so this could happen even next fall.

SirDrago

Postby SirDrago » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:22 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:Hello everyone! I just wanted to inform everyone who was interested about beta that ultimately we didn't have any time to setup any beta or external testing. So, if you were not picked for testing that's since no-one was picked! :D

For our next game we will use external testers from very beginning of the project, so this could happen even next fall.

So you need to live close to Helsinki to be a beta tester right?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:37 pm

SirDrago wrote:So you need to live close to Helsinki to be a beta tester right?

You need to be able to travel to Helsinki to participate the testing, which happens at our office. We don't mind if you come from another side of globe 8)

SirDrago

Postby SirDrago » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:42 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:
SirDrago wrote:So you need to live close to Helsinki to be a beta tester right?

You need to be able to travel to Helsinki to participate the testing, which happens at our office. We don't mind if you come from another side of globe 8)

If you pay for the flight ill be there 8).

Return to “Trine”