Questions about Trine on the PC

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
leaf876
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:31 pm

Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby leaf876 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:04 pm

I, like many others stumbled upon this game and was instantly enchanted. i love the fairy tale like graphics, and the adventurous ambiance the in-game surroundings and the characters themselves emanated. what i also enjoyed finding out was the fact that there was a co-op mode!! XD

However my choice of a gaming console would always be the PC as i feel much more comfortable with the controls.

Soooo.. there are a few questions i would like to ask. ^^'

1. How is multiplayer played out on the PC? Do you play on the same PC, or can you connect from different PC's, or can you do both?
2. Will the movements of the characters utilize WASD as well?
3. What is the minimum requirement for the graphic card?
4. Will you release a program where we can create our own levels? ( you don't have to answer this one ^^)

and some off topic questions...

1. Does the story have more than one ending?
2. Will there be releases of different types of characters in the future O_O? ( no need to answer this one too ^^)
3. will there be any cutscenes?
4. Will there be any kind of interaction between the 3 characters? (i am not talking about gameplay interactions by the way)
5. will there be a retail box for the Trine on PC? ( I like to collect PC games XD)

...and that's about it. Anyways i think you guys are doing a great job on this game, and i hope you keep up the good work!

User avatar
FB_Lauri
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu May 07, 2009 11:12 pm

leaf876 wrote:Soooo.. there are a few questions i would like to ask. ^^'


Glad to hear you like the game! Here's a few answers ..

1. PC multiplayer will be at first only on same computer. You can use keyboard+mouse and game pads (possible also multiple keyboards and mice, but we have to look into that). A good game pad which should be found anywhere is a normal Xbox360 game pad.
2. PC controls are fully customizable. WASD will be default.
3. I have to check minimum requirements from our more technical staff
4. We will look into releasing the level tools later on. We did this with both Shadowgroundses, but we still have to see :)

And the "off-topics":

1. Currently, story has one ending, but millions of ways to get there :)
2. We will see :wink:
3. Yes, there are cutscenes
4. The game focuses on the gameplay, but the characters do have conversations between each other, usually in start of a level or when they find important things story-wise.
5. Trine PC version will be released in both retail and online channels, so yes there will be a box for PC version. PS3 version is only for PSN.

Crusader of Metal
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby Crusader of Metal » Fri May 08, 2009 9:53 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:I have to check minimum requirements from our more technical staff
If you could do this ASAP, I'd be grateful :)

rmarx
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby rmarx » Sat May 09, 2009 12:46 pm

One more question about the multiplayer-on-PC issue.

I'm currently working with the nintendo WiiMote, which you can also hook up to your computer using bluetooth (there are a lot of different libraries out there to make using the WiiMote-data very easy).
Would it be possible to play the game in co-op using multiple wiimotes (with nunchucks probably) on a PC? Either through some extra work from the development team or a possibility for other programmers to add this functionality to the game (using scripting or something like that) ?

I'm not talking about the more advanced options of the wiimote like Accelerometer data or the tracking of IR-dots in the sensorbar. Using only the nunchuck joystick and the buttons on the WiiMote itself should be enough to be able to control the game (although I'm not 100% sure of this of course, depends on the number of actions you'll allow).

This is just a thought of mine (because I, probably like many others, don't own a XBox or PS3 but just a Wii) that I would like to share with you. The multi-keyboard/mouse sounds a very viable option as well, but I think wiimote support could add some extra fun to the gameplay.

The co-op trailer looked fantastic by the way (I must have watched it about 100 times by now). The character descriptions are very interesting too, with a lot more humor than I had expected. It lookes like Trine is going to be one of my all-time-favorites! Keep up the good work!

User avatar
FB_Lauri
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat May 09, 2009 5:40 pm

Crusader of Metal wrote:
FB_Lauri wrote:I have to check minimum requirements from our more technical staff
If you could do this ASAP, I'd be grateful :)


Ok, got the system requirements from Joel, here you go:

Minimum system requirements

Processor: 2.0 GHz CPU
Operating System: Windows XP / Windows Vista
System Memory: 512 MB (XP), 1 GB (Vista)
Hard-Disk Space: 1 GB
Sound Card: (not required)
Video Card: Radeon X800 or GeForce 6800 or better
Other: -

Recommended system requirements

Processor: Dual-Core CPU or better
Operating System: Windows XP / Windows Vista
System Memory: 2 GB
Hard-Disk Space: 1 GB
Sound Card: DirectX compatible soundcard
Video Card: Radeon HD 3800 series or GeForce 8800 series or better
Other: gamepad(s) for co-op play

User avatar
FB_Lauri
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat May 09, 2009 5:45 pm

rmarx wrote:Would it be possible to play the game in co-op using multiple wiimotes (with nunchucks probably) on a PC? Either through some extra work from the development team or a possibility for other programmers to add this functionality to the game (using scripting or something like that) ?


This sure is one intresting option for controllers. I could imagine if you can map wiimote as a controller Windows understands (like as a mouse or joystick) it could work with very little or no work. In other hand, if it requires a lot specific code it might be something we are not able to do. I'll keep this in mind and check if our programmers know anything about this.

rmarx
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby rmarx » Sun May 10, 2009 11:18 am

Glad you like the idea.

There are a lot of different possibilities:
- GlovePie is a program that can convert wiimote input to keystrokes and mouse-movement (not realy sure if it supports nunchuck though)
- WiiYourself is a c++ library which is relatively easy to use (on the website you'll also find a library for C#, no idea in which language you are programming)
- OpenInputSystem (OIS) has wiimote support in their current builds (no real release yet), so maybe it's worth taking a look into that

There are surely some more possibilities out there, but the above have proven most useful for me up until now. If you're interested and the programmers have some questions you can always PM me and I'll see if I can help.


Also : just 1GB of HDD-space ??? *drops yaw* The other requirements seem reasonable enough as well, even the recommended ones! You must have some computer-wizards working on this game, tell them congrats.

Dion
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:10 am

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby Dion » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:13 am

No online co-op in these days is really unacceptable. Sadly this is the ground breaker for me as I wont be buying it for that reason alone. I Played the demo too and it was a great game. Really had high hopes for this game. :(

UTtheLofty
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby UTtheLofty » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:54 pm

I'm glad to see a publisher talk to their fans--it's really refreshing. I also have a few questions, which you may or may not be able to answer, about the PC release.

1) Are you aware (or would you be willing to find out and release) what copy protection/DRM the retail version will be using?
2) You mentioned a steam version--if there is DRM in the retail version, will the Steam be free of anything but Steam's own DRM?
3) I notice that Shadowgrounds (and Survivor) are on Impulse; is there a plan to release Trine on Impulse as well?

Thank you for your time in even reading these, as these are important issues to me.

User avatar
FB_Lauri
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:23 pm

UTtheLofty wrote:I'm glad to see a publisher talk to their fans--it's really refreshing. I also have a few questions, which you may or may not be able to answer, about the PC release.

1) Are you aware (or would you be willing to find out and release) what copy protection/DRM the retail version will be using?
2) You mentioned a steam version--if there is DRM in the retail version, will the Steam be free of anything but Steam's own DRM?
3) I notice that Shadowgrounds (and Survivor) are on Impulse; is there a plan to release Trine on Impulse as well?

Thank you for your time in even reading these, as these are important issues to me.


Thanks for the feedback!

1) Retail PC versions have some sort of protection by our publisher
2) Steam uses ony Steam's own protection, no additional protections
3) Impulse should be available aswell "soonish"

UTtheLofty
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby UTtheLofty » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:41 pm

Thanks for the prompt response! Who is doing the retail publishing, and would it be possible for you to see what kind they are using (Securom, Disc check, online activation, Tages, etc). If not, then I'll just have to wait and see when it comes out.
(Retail is my first choice, DRM assuming--then Impulse, then Steam...but I know that I am not the majority of users here.)

User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:17 am

Nobilis is doing retail. I can't be more specific on the copy protection unfortunately.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

SGR
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:41 am

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby SGR » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:52 am

FB_Lauri wrote:
1. PC multiplayer will be at first only on same computer. You can use keyboard+mouse and game pads (possible also multiple keyboards and mice, but we have to look into that). A good game pad which should be found anywhere is a normal Xbox360 game pad.
2. PC controls are fully customizable. WASD will be default.


Well, I just tried the Steam demo and I thought it was quite nice until i got to the wizard part.
I own the Logitech Rumblepad 2 and was unable to move the target cursor with the right stick or any other button/stick on the pad.
It just doesn't work. Also i was unable to costumize this function.
Any hints? Did i do something wrong?
Help! ;)

PS: Yeah... I won't buy a 360 controller. I like the rumblepad.

User avatar
FB_Lauri
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:15 am

SGR wrote:Well, I just tried the Steam demo and I thought it was quite nice until i got to the wizard part.
I own the Logitech Rumblepad 2 and was unable to move the target cursor with the right stick or any other button/stick on the pad.
It just doesn't work. Also i was unable to costumize this function.
Any hints? Did i do something wrong?
Help! ;)

PS: Yeah... I won't buy a 360 controller. I like the rumblepad.


It's possible that our PC gamepad support has flaws, as we had very limited amount of gamepads to test with. We will address this in more detail for the first patch for PC, as soon as possible.

Only pad for PC we can guarantee to work right now is the Xbox 360 pad, sorry :? . However, we will pick the most common pads and make sure they all work after the patch! :D

ruudboek
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby ruudboek » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:05 pm

I own a rumblepad 2 also and experience the exact same problem. I also experience the same problem with a trustmaster wireless gamepad.
It looks like this problem is related to all non-xbox gamepads. Would like to see this solved as well, especially since the logitech rumblepads are kind of the defacto standard for gamepads for the pc platform, xbox gamepads are certainly not.

pkt-zer0
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby pkt-zer0 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:30 pm

ruudboek wrote:It looks like this problem is related to all non-xbox gamepads. Would like to see this solved as well, especially since the logitech rumblepads are kind of the defacto standard for gamepads for the pc platform, xbox gamepads are certainly not.

Definitely works with standard DirectInput devices, managed to set up my PS2 controller + converter just fine. Sure, it took an hour before I figured out what does what, and managed to map the "back" button without it quitting the settings menu, but it worked. You should be looking for the last page of gamepad settings, Axis X/Y, IIRC. Set that to the right stick, that is what will control the wizard's cursor/thief's bow/warrior's shield.

FlukeRogi
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:48 am

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby FlukeRogi » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:34 pm

especially since the logitech rumblepads are kind of the defacto standard for gamepads for the pc platform, xbox gamepads are certainly not.


Might be where you live, but 360 pads are the prevailing choice among everyone I know. However, I'd agree it needs to work regardless of what make of pad you use.

Rahabib
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby Rahabib » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:35 pm

SGR wrote:
FB_Lauri wrote:
1. PC multiplayer will be at first only on same computer. You can use keyboard+mouse and game pads (possible also multiple keyboards and mice, but we have to look into that). A good game pad which should be found anywhere is a normal Xbox360 game pad.
2. PC controls are fully customizable. WASD will be default.


Well, I just tried the Steam demo and I thought it was quite nice until i got to the wizard part.
I own the Logitech Rumblepad 2 and was unable to move the target cursor with the right stick or any other button/stick on the pad.
It just doesn't work. Also i was unable to costumize this function.
Any hints? Did i do something wrong?
Help! ;)

PS: Yeah... I won't buy a 360 controller. I like the rumblepad.


same issue. rumblepad 2. there is a work around but its unacceptable (wingman profiler - set up buttons as keys and right stick as mouse, left as WASD).

User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:39 pm

We will add support for Rumblepad 2 in a patch shortly after release. I have one of those pads at home and we'll gather up all the pads we find to make sure we get as many as possible working with the game.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Roddly
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:43 am

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby Roddly » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:43 am

As soon as you get that Rumblepad 2 patch out, I will buy this game.

Ceracryst
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:09 am

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby Ceracryst » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:35 pm

I have a Rumblepad 2 (my favorite controller, btw) and it works just fine. Make sure you go into the last page of configurations (after the Knight's options) and set the Axis X and Axis Y to your right stick.

The Xbox360's controller is very dominant in today's PC gaming scene just because it's very very visible, and looks nice -- but I think PC gamers were doing just fine with Logitech before MS came along. The D-pad and triggers on the Xbox360 controller is junk for fighting games (though the sticks are pretty nice). It was weird holding the Rumblepad 2 after being used to the PS2's Dualshock, but after I got used to the loose d-pad, the Dualshock feels ... sticky and requires a lot of pressure to push down.

User avatar
FB_Lauri
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:32 am

Roddly wrote:As soon as you get that Rumblepad 2 patch out, I will buy this game.


The new fix available for Steam version should fix Rumblepad 2 issues.

jammeista
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:58 am

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby jammeista » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:13 am

How can we who bought Trine on Gamesplanet get hold of this patch?

Is there any patch available for the missing 'Customize Controller' under Controller Configuration?
Mean to recall that this option was available in the demo version.

User avatar
FB_Lauri
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby FB_Lauri » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:06 pm

jammeista wrote:How can we who bought Trine on Gamesplanet get hold of this patch?

Is there any patch available for the missing 'Customize Controller' under Controller Configuration?
Mean to recall that this option was available in the demo version.


All patches are coming to all versions eventually, but Gamesplanet patches are handled by our publisher, so we don't know when it's out.

jammeista
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:58 am

Re: Questions about Trine on the PC

Postby jammeista » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:21 am

Thanks FB_Lauri, hopefully it will be released soon. Enjoyed the demo very much and can't wait to play the full game. Ingenious game :)

Will the 'Customize Controller' option that was available in the demo version also be restored?


Return to “Trine”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests