Who was your first favorite character, and who eventually?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
FB_Lauri

Who was your first favorite character, and who eventually?

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:35 pm

Out of curiosity but also to learn for our future products, I will be opening a series (a lot that is :D ) of questions here regarding favorite this, favorite that and so on about Trine. Most of the questions will be posted after Trine is out, but this one suits this waiting of release well.

So, the question is simple but divided to two phases:

First phase: Which was (or is, if you are answering before you have played the game) your favorite character you expected to find yourself using the most while playing Trine?

Second phase: After you have played Trine, edit your answer and add a line to tell which character turned out to be the real favorite. NOTE: you can't answer to this before you have played Trine, preferably played thru! :)

Feel free to add comments and tell also which version you played, and why you chose certain character at certain points.

FB_Lauri

Re: Who was your first favorite character, and who eventually?

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:37 pm

Example answer:

Favorite character before I played the game: Wizard

Favorite character after playing the game: (This will be answered after the game is out by editing the same post)

Free comments: I think the pointy hat will make the best character, but we'll see after I have played the game!

Heisem

Postby Heisem » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:59 pm

Favorite character before I played the game: Knight

Favorite character after playing the game:

I'll buy the PS3 version as soon as it comes out, tanking enemies is always the best way to go. blocking attacks + melee weapons rocks!

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:14 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:Which is your favorite character you expected to find yourself using the most while playing Trine?

I think either wizard or the thief.

Because wizard can create stuff out of thin air and toy around most with the physics plus he doesn't have direct combat weapons so that adds a small challenge there too.

However, Thief seems to be interesting too even she can't toy around with physics so much but she has that grappling hook which, I'd assume, makes her flexible in all situations and her bow gives her long reaching weapon so you don't have to be always face to face with enemies.

FB_Lauri wrote:Second phase: After you have played Trine, edit your answer and add a line to tell which character turned out to be the real favorite. NOTE: you can't answer to this before you have played Trine, preferably played thru! :)

Pre-game Comment: I think I'll play the least the Knight because he's after all quite basic what I have seen. Sword, shield and eventually a hammer. Basic close-range melee weapons with some blocking ability and carrying around skill. That's quite basic. But never the less I'm quite sure I will enjoy playing as him as well. :) We'll see how it turns out when I get the game. THE WAIT IS TOO LONG!!!

Edit:

Alrighty. I have played the demo quite much now and I think I'm starting to like more the thief and knight than the thief and wizard combination.

Thief for sure is at least on par with the knight because of her mobility and agility and I like how she can jump a little bit higher than others, at least it seems like so, and I just like it how she can easily and quickly move from one place to another. Also her bow gives him small amount of direct damage dealing methods. Whereas I found it quite hard to create and drop those boxes on those skeletons on time because they sprint to you after some time. That is hard to time correctly when there are multiple skeletons coming from all directions and you have to jump and run away and what not, while trying to draw those boxes.

Also even the knight seems quite generic still I like him a lot more than I thought because he can easily handle masses of skeletons and just jump in the mayhem and start throwing skeletons from left and right. Also his shield gives him an advantage which other classes don't have. He can protect himself as long as he wants where as Thief's arrows give her only small amount of extra time to be safe and wizard's boxes can only take one hit before they break.

So currently based on the demo I'll say the following:

I like most the Thief and I think the second one is Knight while Wizard is still very nice character to solve puzzles and have him around for the fun and to create more unique solutions for situations, his non-combat abilities drop him to the third place on my favorite list.
Last edited by Mr. ShadowStealer on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

decoy

Postby decoy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:44 am

Zoya s an Arabic name i guess and she is dressed like seductive Arab custom chick(with revealing legs and breast), PLUS she is thief class which i like generally. But there is nothing thief about her , i wonder if there will be any stealing aspects.

I like agile and fast characters, but main reason is her design, she seems to be the only one having non generic design also lover her swings so major platforming character , i found wizard and knight too cartoony and generic.
I am into anatomy and art , thats why prefer zoya, however what i will like after playing depends upon gameplay, which i haven't tested yet.

Hey will there be boss fights?

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:48 pm

If I know Frozenbyte team's way of making games enough well now, I'd say there is a chance to have at least final end boss. ;P

Edit: Lol, that sounds so dodgy. Like, maybe would if so possibly depends on multiple things. :D
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:05 am

Favorite character before I played the game: Thief

Favorite character after playing the game: Mmmhh I would say its still Thief, but the other charaters are really useful too!

I pre-ordered from steam, I think it will be the thief 'cause thats the class I always take in any game, I love the way to play them
AMAZING GAMEEEEEEE <3 Indie games!
Last edited by DarkJee on Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jtrizzy

Postby Jtrizzy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:43 am

Before: The Wizard.

Silber

Postby Silber » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:00 am

I have played the Demo at a Friends house and iam blown away. This Game is so Beutiful and magical inspiring -
Now i have to wait until it arrives at Xbox *cry out a lot* I wanna play this so badly.

Favorite Char before: Wizard
Favirite Char after: Wizard^^

Favorite Release - Now ;)

Tikicobra

Postby Tikicobra » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:24 am

Favorite character before playing the game: Knight

Favorite character after playing the game: N/A

bibi

Postby bibi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:10 pm

Before: Wizard. Because wizards with pointy hats are funny. and he reminds me of simon the sorcerer. design-wise i would have preferred a simon look, rather than the current fu-man-chu look.

After: ???

Ark

Postby Ark » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:18 pm

Favorite character before I played the game: Thief

Favorite character after playing the game: Thief. She as great mobility and her weapons are as good as the Knight.

I'll pre-order the PC version on steam, glad you added controller support.
Last edited by Ark on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

SamWalter

Postby SamWalter » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:56 pm

i actualy did think i would use the knight most

but i saw myself using the wisard the most i loved to creat that cube and smash the skeletons with it =P

I'll buy it on psn cause i prefere 2d games with a controller and i don't have a controller for my pc and ever sense i've gotten 32 HDtv i prefer playing on it and my hdmi cable is only compadable with ps3 and 360 and i don't want to buy a new one cause i play less and less games on my pc cause there isn't allot of games that's coming out so that why i'm buying it off playstation store

Question

Postby Question » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:41 pm

Because I have only played the demo, I may, or probably will, edit my choice :wink: .

Upon learning of the game: Thief, I'm usually playing as the swifter and faster attacking characters.

After the demo: The Wizard; my knowledge is that he moves just as fast as the thief without a grappling hook, but he just wins in all cases, so that's fine with me.
I also liked his ability to maneuvar [mind my spelling(wo! a pun I did not mean to use :lol: ] objects for personal game, such as putting a block in the way of a plank, so as to prevent movement =p.
I only use the warrior on hard mode to kill skeletons, because of the huge damage output. :lol:
I can haz online multiplayer naow?

Mooilo

Postby Mooilo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:12 pm

During the Demo: Thief, because of the ridiculous mobility and agility you can get with the grappling hook, and because the bow can handle a basically endless stream of enemies as long as they come from just one direction.

Favorite in the Full Game: All of them! They all have good uses- the Knight is the best up close killer, the Thief is the best platformer, and the wizard is a good puzzle solver.
Last edited by Mooilo on Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceracryst

Postby Ceracryst » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:39 am

Before playing: Thief -- I generally like the high-agility characters, and girls are easy on the eyes.
Eventually: Wizard when possible, Thief for battles.

I really love that all three characters control very differently. Amadeus the Magnificent is the star of the show as he's got telekinesis combined with CRAYON PHYSICS. Zoya is very powerful at killing the hordes of skeletons. The arrows push back the baddies, so if you get the first shot, you're pretty safe. I find myself spamming arrows with her, though. I get the idea that this isn't what the developers intended. Also, on the difficulty I was playing on at least, one shot from Zoya deals as much damage to a skeleton as one swipe from Pontius, but Pontius' sword doesn't stun skeletons, so I take a lot of damage by trading hits often. -- Maybe Pontius has other combat options I didn't know about? (watching the trailer, I see him stomping skeletons ala Mario)

Pontius + Amadeus own up the fire-ball spitting traps though. =3 I hope that there will be situations other than fireball traps where Pontius really gets to shine. Maybe a shield that reflects projectiles, or places where he can smack physics objects into enemies. But I'm looking forward to the game! Pre-ordered, and lying in wait. =]

tjm07090

Postby tjm07090 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:17 am

Favorite before playing: Knight
Favorite after playing: thief
I think that the thiefs arrow power should be related to how much you pull back the bow string, otherwise you can just keep clicking and kill more effieciently than with the knight cause the arrows knock back enemies too. I was kind of sad how the knight wasn't really that useful, but he's still fun to play. I think that the wizard was well balanced though. As I played I generally stayed as the thief cause she can do just about everything. That being said, the demo was GREAT, I think I beat it about 6 times already. Nice job Frozenbyte!

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:26 am

tjm07090 wrote:Favorite before playing: Knight
I think that the thiefs arrow power should be related to how much you pull back the bow string, otherwise you can just keep clicking and kill more effieciently than with the knight cause the arrows knock back enemies too. I was kind of sad how the knight wasn't really that useful, but he's still fun to play. I think that the wizard was well balanced though. As I played I generally stayed as the thief cause she can do just about everything. That being said, the demo was GREAT, I think I beat it about 6 times already. Nice job Frozenbyte!

Well.. if you pull back the bow string at maximum, it makes like twice the damage, you can kill skeleton in 2 shots...

Mooilo

Postby Mooilo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:31 am

DarkJee wrote:
tjm07090 wrote:Favorite before playing: Knight

Well.. if you pull back the bow string at maximum, it makes like twice the damage, you can kill skeleton in 2 shots...

On normal difficulty, you can kill in 3 shots with no charge at all. It's quicker than charging.

tjm07090

Postby tjm07090 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:18 am

Also it's only 1/3 stronger, not twice as strong, and like mooilo said its not worth the wait. I just think that the knight should be able to do more damage than the thief, as that is his main function. In the demo it takes him 3 hits to kill, just like the with the thief (while using the non-charged arrows). Then again things may change as the characters change throughout the game, or at least I hope so, and even if they don't I'm sure I'll still love the game.

Etana

Postby Etana » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:39 am

Favorite character before I played the game: Wizard

Favorite character after playing the game: **Demo** Wizard

Free comments:

At first glance of the game through the Steam demo-screen I thought this title would be similar to previous games, with the typical diversity of the Wizard's spellcasting and the simple mindless hacking and bashing of a tank-warrior. Although, when I actually played all of the classes (demo), I was indeed surprised. The Knight, for example, reminds me of one of my childhood favourites; The Lost Vikings, with the tubby Knight, except this time using the shield in a more creative way with levels with falling rocks (and being so fat to break the boards) in an astonishing environment where the designers surely must have paid tremendous amounts of detail to. Also, the thief reminds me of old classics like Worms (Ninja rope) and Bionic Commando, so it's nice to feel like you're in sort of a familiar atmosphere when you boot up the game. :)

The characters have been surprisingly well-made and I'm glad to finally see some refreshing new ideas in the gaming business, with rather simple learning curves and clever level designs, with features like conjuring a magic box. That brings me to the skill-trees, I noticed there seems to be a few more buttons (spells?) to choose from in the full game, and I can't wait to play through this amazing game when it's complete. :)

Since the classes are all interesting and very versatile, it would be hard to choose, but judging from the demo it would have to be the Wizard, hoping there's more to come after the demo. :D

P.S. Keep up the good work, I hope to see even more from this company sooner or later! :lol:

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:49 am

The Knight is not getting nearly as much love as he should be. Just wait and see... :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Etana

Postby Etana » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:02 am

fb_joel wrote:The Knight is not getting nearly as much love as he should be. Just wait and see... :)

I would mildly suggest that it's because the Knight didn't get a very interesting skill (critical damage) compared to the other two :?

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:10 am

Etana wrote:
fb_joel wrote:The Knight is not getting nearly as much love as he should be. Just wait and see... :)

I would mildly suggest that it's because the Knight didn't get a very interesting skill (critical damage) compared to the other two :?

Yeah but he's perfect to kill bad people :)

Syncerus

Postby Syncerus » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:35 am

I like the Knight. He's not as interesting as the other two, but he kicks ass in combat and is fairly agile too. The Wizard has the best personality, imo, but trying to kill skeletons with his clumsy levitation skill is a real pain.

Return to “Trine”