Who was your first favorite character, and who eventually?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
R4ved

Re: Who was your first favorite character, and who eventually?

Postby R4ved » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:48 pm

Favorite character before I played the game: Wizard

Favorite character after playing the game: Thief

Free comments: I found the Thief the most useful, with the power and number of arrows i could take out all skeletons easily, and the grappling hook made going through the levels so much easier. I would have liked to see the Knight play more of a key role, I found that during my play, I played the Thief 79% of the time, Wizard 20%, and Knight 1%. Once the Thief's bow became powered up, the knight was almost completely useless to me. I found the wizard kind of lacking too, without an attacking ability (creating then dropping boxes on enemies takes kind of long and is ineffective), I was nervous about keeping the wizard out more often.

Qraft

Postby Qraft » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:58 pm

Favorite character after playing the game: Thief

I almost played the thief the entire game. Since this is a plattformgame she is most suited for the jobb. It would have been fun to see some levels that was just made for the knight. Like a level with lots and lots of enemies :P
Game of the year 2006 :D

whitebyte

Postby whitebyte » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:08 am

First phase: Wizard. His abilities are what the game is about; creating physical objects in their world.
Second phase: Knight. He is good at what he does. Good defence with his shield and good weapons.

Thief is fun but her grapple hook, I think could have more fun yet.

LicensedLuny

Postby LicensedLuny » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:19 am

I'm not sure how to answer this one. Watching the preview video and reading about the characters, before playing the demo, I liked the Knight the best because of, "Pontius is a bit slow - he's the one who never gets the joke, and doesn't quite understand how magic works. But that doesn't stop him! He wants to be a hero and save the kingdom!" How can you not like him?

Early on while playing, I found myself using the Knight most often because I was best at fending off undead as him. I used the Thief a little less and the Wizard the least. As the game progressed and they got more and more skills, I found myself fighting more with the Thief and having the Wizard out to create objects and move them around in between fights.

I've finished every level, including all experience and secrets, except the Tower. I've never been fast at games, and I just can't click/button push both fast and accurately enough to get up that tower even in Easy mode.

Cheers,
Luny

WildGenius

Postby WildGenius » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Mage at first(the guy reminds me of Pratchett's Rincewind), and then a thief(gool abilities and.. well, she is kind of hot). Knight is almost completely useless and completely stoned at all times. I mean, seriously, whats up with that?
Quo licet bovi non licet Iovi.

Braid

Postby Braid » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:17 pm

I personally didn't have any favorzed char that would outclass the other, but as for usefullness, I can say that it was the Knight who I considered most essential for the game. But that's not a matter of liking, but of balance.

MasterDinadan

Postby MasterDinadan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:44 am

Before I played, I was interested in the Wizard.

After playing, I usually have the most fun with Thief. I love swinging around and shooting arrows =)

Although I have to say Wizard is getting closer once again now that I'm used to it. I sucked at drawing squares at first but now I can make them very quickly! =)

voodoochile

Postby voodoochile » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:15 am

FB_Lauri wrote:Out of curiosity but also to learn for our future products, I will be opening a series (a lot that is :D ) of questions here regarding favorite this, favorite that and so on about Trine. Most of the questions will be posted after Trine is out, but this one suits this waiting of release well.

So, the question is simple but divided to two phases:

First phase: Which was (or is, if you are answering before you have played the game) your favorite character you expected to find yourself using the most while playing Trine?

Second phase: After you have played Trine, edit your answer and add a line to tell which character turned out to be the real favorite. NOTE: you can't answer to this before you have played Trine, preferably played thru! :)

Feel free to add comments and tell also which version you played, and why you chose certain character at certain points.

I didn't know anything about the characters before I bought the game.

After completing the game, my favourite character to play, was the Thief + Wizard, I didn't like playing the Knight. I thought he was boring and hack 'n slashy. As for personalities, I liked the Wizard because he was quite straight cut and mature, I liked the Thief because she was kind of evil, and again, I really disliked the Knight because he was a childish character. Even as a young child, I wouldn't have liked him or his goofy voice acting.

Besides that, the game was absolutely fantastic. The three characters worked together perfectly. I played as the Thief for about 90% of the game, and only occasionally switched to the other two. There were moments where a specific character was needed so I switched and I found the game really great at coming up with situations that suited different characters. I hope you guys make a fortune from this game, because you deserve it. It's a really great game. To me, it's up there with Portal, very close. I would say I enjoyed Portal a bit more, purely because it was longer and because the monologue in Portal was one of the best I've ever seen in a game. Trine probably had better gameplay though, but it was quite short and the voice overs and the trite story didn't do much. Overall though, I am extremely glad to have played this game.

Return to “Trine”