Who was your first favorite character, and who eventually?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
stuey

Re: Who was your first favorite character, and who eventually?

Postby stuey » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 am

Before release: Thief
After release:_______

The thief wins at the start for me because of her high mobility and yet still having a direct attack method. The female model didn't hurt either :P.
As far as the character persoanalities go though, I really like the Wizard. I've spent the last couple days yelling "By my trousers, I must escape." whenever appropriate (or not). I'll definitely say that the witty naration and character quirks were what drove the nail into the coffin for me to put in a pre-order.

olivehehe_03

Postby olivehehe_03 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:06 am

Before Playing: Wizard, because the ability to create objects and manipulate the enviroment seemed to give it the most interesting way to play, and presented the most opportunities
After Playing (only the demo so far): Thief, after playing, the wizard was good, but his limited abilities in the demo kinda took him down a step and the way I played him seemed to make him too vulnerable, the thief can move around really well and is cometant enough to put up a fight if need be

cliftor

Postby cliftor » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:33 am

Favorite character after playing the demo: Thief

Favorite character after playing the full game: Thief

Free comments: I like breaking and speedrunning platformers in the spirit of Metroid and such, and it seemed in the demo that I could get the most momentum with the Thief's grappling hook. It also seemed to have high potential for wonky interaction with the physics engine. I'm gonna have to play the demo some more to see just how much I can break the game, but my first impression is that the Thief has the most potential.

Free comments (after playing the game): I was on the money that Thief is fastest generally, but she turned out to be even better than that. Ironically, she one-ups the Knight in power as far as I can tell. With items she can be firing off souped up fire arrows or volley's of four, and she shoots really fast. She kills things faster than the Knight at range and can hit around obstacles.

Still trying to see how breakable the grappling hook is. There was ONE time I was able to make her swing funny, as if gravity for her had switched horizontally, but I haven't been able to repeat it yet.
Last edited by cliftor on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

wolfboy

Postby wolfboy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:34 am

Favorite character before I played the game: thief
Favorite character after playing demo: thief

I was expecting the thief to be very weak but surprisingly, she can pump out so many arrows to push the enemy back before even getting hit. She *almost* could take the place of the knight, at least in the demo. The grappling hook is a little weird to control though.

EDIT:
Favorite character after playing game: thief
I thought so. With the three arrow upgrades and quick charge, she outmatches the knight easily.
Last edited by wolfboy on Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

tjm07090

Postby tjm07090 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:15 am

Ok so I'm going to rechange my answer to KNIGHT! I just discovered what I believe is a great glitch. I was really disapointed when the knight couldn't push around these puny undead soldiers so theres a great way to make em ur b!tch! :twisted:

If you hold the block button and rappidly push the hit key you can push em around after they swing. You can push up to two soldiers at once, and theres not much they can do about it :lol:

I'm not sure if everyone else knows about it already but I havent seen any mention of it. I hope its a great discovery, that would be awesome since its so simple and great.

This is the best if you wanna push em off clifs or onto spikes, it makes for much better kills. 8) So ya I change back to my original thought of KNIGHT!

HaakonXCI

Postby HaakonXCI » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:26 am

So far I like the wizard because he can do some cool stuff and eventually in the full game use fireballs and hopefully a frostbolt or something to freeze and shatter the enemies (I hope..) but I know the fireball is coming so I just gotta wait and see but if so then yeah mage/wizard is my favorite class.
I am the cat's pajamas.

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:54 am

HaakonXCI wrote:So far I like the wizard because he can do some cool stuff and eventually in the full game use fireballs and hopefully a frostbolt or something to freeze and shatter the enemies (I hope..) but I know the fireball is coming so I just gotta wait and see but if so then yeah mage/wizard is my favorite class.

Are you sure he will be able to throw fireballs?? Because I don't think he will

HaakonXCI

Postby HaakonXCI » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:57 am

DarkJee wrote:
HaakonXCI wrote:So far I like the wizard because he can do some cool stuff and eventually in the full game use fireballs and hopefully a frostbolt or something to freeze and shatter the enemies (I hope..) but I know the fireball is coming so I just gotta wait and see but if so then yeah mage/wizard is my favorite class.

Are you sure he will be able to throw fireballs?? Because I don't think he will

Well in the beginning if you heard, the narrator was saying something about the wizard trying to impress some woman by making a fake fireball or something so I'm pretty sure thats a clue that later on you get a fireball or something of the sort. I mean it's just speculation but best bet is that a wizard having a fireball sounds about right anyways, if it doesnt then thatd be kinda odd but yeah.
I am the cat's pajamas.

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:02 am

HaakonXCI wrote:Well in the beginning if you heard, the narrator was saying something about the wizard trying to impress some woman by making a fake fireball or something so I'm pretty sure thats a clue that later on you get a fireball or something of the sort. I mean it's just speculation but best bet is that a wizard having a fireball sounds about right anyways, if it doesnt then thatd be kinda odd but yeah.

Well, it's only the story that takes place, to describe characters, maybe he will have fireball, but maybe not. One thing is sure is that if he does, he would be too much overpowered. That would surprise me but..

HaakonXCI

Postby HaakonXCI » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:04 am

Yeah I know what you mean, I can only hope though. Because a wizard without fireballs is like a cat without whiskers in my opinion...
I am the cat's pajamas.

NovaNoah

Postby NovaNoah » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:14 pm

I'll use three options.

Before playing: Wizard
After Demo: Thief
After Full Game: Knight
Last edited by NovaNoah on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zilla

Postby zilla » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:47 pm

By far the thief. I love any games where you can swing like that, and he platforming skills are very fun.

Manny

Postby Manny » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:19 am

I'll join.

Fav. character before play: Thief
Fav. character after demo: a tie between Thief and Wizard
Fav. character after release: yet to be determined

Atnas

Postby Atnas » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:06 am

From playing the demo: The Wizard by far. His spells are cool (who needs fireball to impress when you xan levitate?) and I love his personality, which reminds me a bit of Rincewind.

After playing through the game: ??? I better get my serial key first for this =/

billramey

Postby billramey » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:50 am

In the demo I tend to favor the Knight, because I find it hard otherwise to deal with the hissing skeletons. The Thief's grappling hook is probably the coolest ability though. She also seems to be more nimble.

djdna

Postby djdna » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:50 pm

in the demo version im enjoying the thief most so far, because she has the most interesting gameplay mechanics i think, the bow physics work great and the same can be said for the grapple mechanics... i do love the wizards magic as well too tho and the knight is great for some more simple hack/slash/block action, so theyre all good really and choice is always good ;)

overall i have to say the thief is my fave so far tho

purple_pixie

Postby purple_pixie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:04 pm

Before picking up the demo (i.e. after watching the video-demo): Thief

After playing the demo to death: Thief

Predicted (almost certain) after playing the game: Thief

Actual after game: <to be confirmed>

Thief is just so cool ... the grappling hook is one of the best gameplay mechanics in history.
I mean, I still play the PS2 Spiderman game, just because swinging around on a rope is so freaking awesome.

I just love the speed you get, and the way you can swing along, jump and swing again - I intend to go for a "barely touching the floor" run through at some point ;-)

Though I do like the wizard a lot ... but he ain't the queen of the swingers, so he ain't quite got it.

As far as characters go (i.e. not from a gameplay point of view) I think they're all equally great.

Mothra

Postby Mothra » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:06 pm

before the release: garret(a)
after playing thru: ***in work***
comment: i think the true revelation will be when I team up with 2 friends and create all kinds of crazy stunts

Xencer

Postby Xencer » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:11 pm

Favorite character before I played the game: Warrior

Favorite character after playing the game: Thief

Free comments: Warrior is cool, but I prefer the swinging from the hook :P

I also prefer to play as one character instead of switching out between them alot, and just switch when only needed

Syrijon

Postby Syrijon » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:17 am

Favorite character before I'd played Trine: None, they all look very cool in the trailers.
Favorite character after I'd played through the demo (several times): Certainly the thief, starts out with the coolest abilities, by far. Swinging around is very much fun and versatile, as is shooting the bow. The other two felt rather limited, especially the knight.
Favorite character so far, after playing through roughly 1/3 of the full game: I'm not even trying to be diplomatic here, but: None. Or, rather: All of them! Creating several planks and boxes as the wizard offers a lot of possibilities in many situations, it feels like a good physics puzzler in these. The thief is still very cool, naturally. And the knight... well. This picture should be enough to express my admiration:
:lol:
That one new skill alone makes him so much fun to play already.
I can't wait for all the others. I will post again once I'm through the game (a few times), but I just had to post that picture already :D And so far I am convinced that in the end all three characters will be about equally fun to play. I really didn't expect that after playing the demo :)

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:19 am

A bit off-topic, I think you can upload pictures also to these forums directly :)

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:23 pm

Alrighty I'll make a new post because my first post is quite messy.

Fav. character before play: Wizard.

Because of his abilities to manipulate physics objects.

Fav. character after demo: Thief is the first choice and I liked Knight as second.

Fav. character after release: I'm on 12th level, just going to start it after this post.

Anyway, I think I have come up with enough solid feel of each character already. And currently my best character indeed is Thief. I just love her mobility and agility. I like to swing around with her hook and get on top of platfroms by swinging under one and releasing the grappling hook at the edge of one and then jumping on top it.

She also has an ability to be directly in combat. Her bow. Even though Wizard can be in combat too but his boxes make it quite hard to kill monsters easily.

So, that's why my second choice is Knight. I didn't know that I would like him this much. He's very good in combat and because of his shield he can take as many monsters in front of it as he wants and survive without taking any damage. Then just swing his sword and kill the monsters behind his shield.

Wizard is nice character too because he can do as much different things in the game world as others but the lack of direct combat readyness puts him on the third place or at least on par with knight on the second place. I think he's on par with the knight.

I was surprised how amazingly well all the characters are balanced. They all are useful in some way but when I have a chance, I always take the Thief because, as I already told, I like her mobility and agility and it's nice to swing along the levels and she also has hers bow with her so he can return fire if those pesky skeletons appear on her way all in sudden.

If wizard had like a dagger or something with him I most likely would play all three characters equally much all the time.

Very nice job with the characters FB, I like it how equally good they all are. :D

And the game also is just awesome looking all the time and so far the level desings haven't started to repeat each other so each level is fresh all the time.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

cement_ghost

Postby cement_ghost » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:42 pm

After playing the demo: Thief

After playing the full game: Thief / Knight

The knight became way more awesome and useful after it gained the sledgehammer and the lightening smashing the ground ability.

I had a lot of fun using the wizard to solve puzzles and get to places you weren't supposed to go. There are a bunch of places where you can climb outside of the level by stacking 5 boxes against the wall.

knapman

Postby knapman » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:38 pm

fav after finishing demo: thief

fav after finishing game: thief with wizard close second

after a few upgrades the thief seemed to handle combat as well as the warrior, didn't feel like there were any situations where he had a clear advantage

lupercaleb

Postby lupercaleb » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:52 am

FB_Lauri wrote:Out of curiosity but also to learn for our future products, I will be opening a series (a lot that is :D ) of questions here regarding favorite this, favorite that and so on about Trine. Most of the questions will be posted after Trine is out, but this one suits this waiting of release well.

So, the question is simple but divided to two phases:

First phase: Which was (or is, if you are answering before you have played the game) your favorite character you expected to find yourself using the most while playing Trine?

Second phase: After you have played Trine, edit your answer and add a line to tell which character turned out to be the real favorite. NOTE: you can't answer to this before you have played Trine, preferably played thru! :)

Feel free to add comments and tell also which version you played, and why you chose certain character at certain points.
at first i was sure that the wizard was going to be my favorite, and i did indeed like him, but the knight started to really grow on me. i found the knight to be the most fun to use, i really like him, especially during the very hard difficulty play-through

i enjoy using the thief too, and she ended up being the character that i used the most

favorite character: Knight > Wizard > Thief

character that i played the most on medium clear: Thief > Wizard > Knight

character that i played the most on very hard clear: Knight > Thief > Wizard

considering the difficulty of very hard mode, the knight became invaluable in that you cannot simply blindly attack everything, you must approach each area cautiously and to use his shield to avoid as much damage as possible and only putting your guard down to attack when there is an opening. this goes for medium mode too, but not nearly as important considering the comparison between medium and very hard of how much damage the undead deal and how much the checkpoints heal you for

i really enjoyed playing trine, it is up there among my top favorite games that i have played in my lifetime so far. even after clearing all of the achievements, i still hunger for more TRINE!

Return to “Trine”