Demo thoughts

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
Severed_Artery

Demo thoughts

Postby Severed_Artery » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:10 pm

Specs:
e6400 @ 3.2Ghz
4870x2 (Cat 9.6)
2GB RAM
Playing the game at max, at 2560x1600 resolution. Why isn't this included in the menu? I had to edit the config file.

First, some bugs:

Slower FPS introduces mouse lag. This is a big no-no for a game like Trine. I am on a high end PC, but with 4xAA, the game becomes very slow, but more importantly, mouse lag! Even in some parts, with a high FPS, mouse lag happens in some intensive areas.

Gameplay is pretty straightforward, but the ambiance and "story-telling" style is quite amazing and works great. The music is great too.

Lots of trial and error. Some secret areas are nearly impossible to find, since they are out of the camera view. Perhaps a higher FOV?

The magician's move-object power; Why can he not "throw" items? As soon as I let go of the drag button, whatever item he was hovering around drops straight down horizontally, totally ignoring the inertia it carried.

More to come..

Ark

Re: Demo thoughts

Postby Ark » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:41 pm

Try lowering AA to 2x, at 2560 * 1600 you shouldn't really need AA anyways.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:47 pm

Yeah, 4xAA has already been reported as a huge performance eater even on the demo. I don't know why... Maybe the GPUs get too clogged up with info when they try to handle the blooms on 4xAA and so on.

And I think the throwing ability of wizard was too much for him so they gave that ability to knight and that also made the knight more useful. But true, that makes you wonder a bit...
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

dels

Postby dels » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:16 pm

Just tried the Demo myself and it was wonderful. Certainly surprised me just how polished and detailed a 2d scroller can be. Certainly when they get around to adding coop I can imagine myself and a couple of friends purchasing this.

Good work on a great demo though.

Return to “Trine”