Important question about co-op

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
SuperV

Important question about co-op

Postby SuperV » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:33 pm

First of all, I just loved the Trine demo for the PC. I own both PC and PS3, and I prefer mouse and keyboard much more than the controller.

So, will co-op online multiplayer be available on both platforms?

Mr. ShadowStealer

Re: Important question about co-op

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:59 am

Hard to say anything because I'm not a developer but if PS3 allows downloading DLCs then I think it is at least possible to patch up /add an addon in the game to have online coop.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

SuperV

Postby SuperV » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:42 am

But you can play coop on pc? Because I really want to preorder from steam :)

And mainly, is coop ONLINE?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:28 am

Co-op is not online. Sorry. We know a lot of people want it and won't buy because of the lack of online co-op, but it just wasn't possible to do, at least not for the initial release. (Deja vu, for those who have been here on the boards for a long time...)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Dakiaris

Postby Dakiaris » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:05 am

I know that there is no online or lan support atm but is there any future plans of adding online or lan ?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:17 am

Dakiaris wrote:I know that there is no online or lan support atm but is there any future plans of adding online or lan ?

We have a number of plans including online co-op, but it's very early to say whether or not we can actually make it happen (it's about sales and a gazillion of other stuff).

Dakiaris

Postby Dakiaris » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:26 am

I hope that everything works out then I know I bought sg and sgs on release in hopes of seeing online or at least lan in the future and didn't see it. Since Trine is going to be on multiple systems though I have decently high hopes... Regardless though I'll probably get it I mean I loved every other game you guys have done so far.

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:35 am

don't worry for the sales, a lot of pre-orders have been made, and since this game won a E3 award, and its popular on a lot of video game site, this game will have a great future!

Gnoupi

Postby Gnoupi » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:15 am

This question will probably be a lot, since it's becoming something really "usual", for games which can be played in coop, to be played in coop online.
I mean, I remember I was a bit disappointed when I bought Shadowgrounds Survivor, since the page was stating Coop, I was expecting online one (and bought it for my girlfriend to play with me, but that's another topic :P)

For Trine though, I think it's less of a problem, it's clearly not the type of game you can play with someone without talking all the time, or with typing messages, it would just be terrible.
(For the Shadowgrounds series, it's a bit less, shooting games can be played more or less without voice)

From the work I see from Frozenbyte, I can see that the team (probably small) has wonderful graphical part, gameplay one, and even good with physics.
But I'm guessing simply that the team doesn't have (because probably not judged needed) any network specialized people.
Building an engine for a single machine use, and building it for an online us, with multiple machines, it's a lot different, and I think most of people don't realize that.
Making a game ready for online play, means a lot more than just creating a connection between two machines :P It's changing the whole engine, to be working this way.
And that's why it would mostly depend on sales, I'm guessing.
Moreover, I just thought, the network part would have to be done for the PSN as well, again different.

About me, my only problem with this "no-online", is that I really prefer the keyboard+mouse, and it's difficult to play with gamepad.
For shadowgrounds, much easier to aim, for example (I can't really target with a gamepad :P).
For Trine, I tried, I have some issues with the gamepad, depending on the hero. The thief is good (I was afraid about the hook, but hopefully it autoaims, it's almost easier than with the mouse).
The mage is not really easy to use, since its abilities are rather "mouse oriented", to me (drawing, drag and drop)
And for the guard, it's mostly ok, but I have an issue with shield, it's quite hard to use it (with right hand joystick, so) and jump at same time (it's just not the way my hand is, or i need another finger coming from my thumb :P)

But besides, really, from what I tried, the game is great, and I will buy it as soon as it hits Impulse :D (since there are no "Securom" and such, I would prefer to be really "free", to play it without Steam running, for example)

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:10 pm

I just say that I agree with you that at times it is hard to draw a box with the wizard. EVEN with a mouse.

Usually I just end drawing circles on the playing area if the wizard is the last character on the playing area and there are masses of skeletons running at me. :D (Plus jumping in a small panic on top of the skeletons while still desperatelly trying to draw a box shape or a circle. :D)
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

SuperV

Postby SuperV » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:56 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:
Dakiaris wrote:I know that there is no online or lan support atm but is there any future plans of adding online or lan ?

We have a number of plans including online co-op, but it's very early to say whether or not we can actually make it happen (it's about sales and a gazillion of other stuff).

Yeah, I know man, but this game is a masterpiece, and online coop would really make it a game that will be remembered in the future, such as Fallout 2, or Megaman.
I really do hope that you aren't lying and that the team will at least try to implement online capabilities into the game :)

I am going to pre-order the game, and a lot of other people are gonna buy it too, so you won't have much problems with money.

I heard that some people won't buy it on Steam because the freebie along with Trine is unwanted. You could exchange it to Shadowgrounds:Survivors to recieve more pre-orders.

Syrijon

Postby Syrijon » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:59 pm

I'd also just like to say that online coop would greatly increase the appeal of Trine. For example I will hardly be able to play it in coop, even though the game looks tailor-made for it and even a lot more fun that way. Especially playing it with two other people on one computer might be problematic. I guess in comparison few people have two additional gamepads or willing friends to sit through the whole game with them ;) I think I'd just love playing through the game with two other players online, where each player uses only a specific class and helps each other out that way.
At least for me the lack of online coop is even more disappointing because the game is so dynamic. I've played through the demo several times now and found different ways to solve the puzzles or just get some harder to reach items. So, I guess I would gladly play through the whole game several times. In singleplayer as well, but preferably in coop :D

The lack of online coop isn't a deal-breaker, Trine appears to be a great game anyway, but I hope you will seriously look into making it possible :) It's certainly the only one big thing that I think Trine might be missing.

JordashTalon

Postby JordashTalon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:42 am

The Demo of this game was freaking incredible. The moment this game implements LAN Cooperative play, i'll buy it. Please don't skimp on the LAN or Online play i'm sure if you implement that the game will have awesome Sales! :D

P.S. if it doesn't have LAN Coop i'd bet most people would lose interest pretty quick.. including me
[url]The-Best-Free-Games.com[/url] - Your source for the latest in The Best Free Games

Smog

Postby Smog » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:44 pm

Yea, I played the demo and loved it. But no online play is preventing me from buying it. Get some online play and you'll have at least 1 extra customer. :) At least get LAN implemented, we can figure out a way to play online from there.

Return to “Trine”