Some bugs *Updated 6/30/09*

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
Mooilo

Some bugs *Updated 6/30/09*

Postby Mooilo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:36 am

I know some of these have been reported but here are all the ones I have encountered.

Number 1: In the room in the second level where the gates close and several skeletons appear, if you run to the left as fast as possible, you can get the gates to go back up without killing the skeletons. Sometimes you can go through them, sometimes it acts as though they are still closed, and killing the skeletons doesn't fix that. Here is a picture:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa8/Mooilo/TRINEGlitch-1.jpg

Number 2: If you charge your bow as the Thief and then grapple onto something, you can shoot the arrow while on your rope. There is no animation and you can't charge another arrow and shoot it, just the arrow you were charging when you grappled.

Number 3: When the Wizard is levitating an object, he can move, but he just slides very slowly and has no walking animation. I think it'd be cool if he could walk and levitate things at the same time, but the easiest fix would be just to lock movement while levitating things, I think.

Number 4: Fireballs were spawning far too low in my last playthrough, causing some to explode right when they were created. This has only happened to me once, but oh well. Here are some pictures:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa8/Mooilo/TrineFireballGlitch1.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa8/Mooilo/TrineFireballGlitch2.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa8/Mooilo/TrineFireballGlitch3.jpg

Number 5: When you are blocking as a Knight, and push the attack button, for one frame the Knight's shield goes down to 0 degrees (assuming 90 degrees is straight up). If you are blocking at 0 degrees or close to it (because you can aim where your shield points) the Knight plays a short "push back" animation. I think this is due to the animation only looking right if the shield is at 0 degrees.

Anyways, that's all I have for now. I will update when I get a chance.
Last edited by Mooilo on Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

FB_Lauri

Re: Some bugs

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:02 am

Mooilo wrote:First bug: In the room in the second level where the gates close and several skeletons appear, if you run to the left as fast as possible, you can get the gates to go back up without killing the skeletons. Sometimes you can go through them, sometimes it acts as though they are still closed, and killing the skeletons doesn't fix that. Here is a picture:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa8/Mooilo/TRINEGlitch-1.jpg

Yes, this is possible, but the gates opening is a failsafe mechanic to prevent players getting stuck :)

Mooilo wrote:Second Glitch: If you charge your bow as the Thief and then grapple onto something, you can shoot the arrow while on your rope. There is no animation and you can't charge another arrow and shoot it, just the arrow you were charging when you grappled.

Unfortunately we didn't have time to fix this, so we left it there as we think it doesn't harm the general gameplay (ie. it's not something you want to use all the time :) )

Mooilo wrote:Third Glitch: When the Wizard is levitating an object, he can move, but he just slides very slowly and has no walking animation. I think it'd be cool if he could walk and levitate things at the same time, but the easiest fix would be just to lock movement while levitating things, I think.

We didn't have time to implement the moving when levitating, so yes we tried to disable it, with no success it seems :D

Thanks for the bug report!

dadis007

Postby dadis007 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:12 am

A bug1 will be more :(
http://images116.fotki.com/v701/fileEWr ... poert1.jpg

Jumped with rope from another side of wall get her and stuck.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:01 pm

Wow, thanks for that. :) We'll fix it in a patch.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Mooilo wrote:Third Glitch: When the Wizard is levitating an object, he can move, but he just slides very slowly and has no walking animation. I think it'd be cool if he could walk and levitate things at the same time, but the easiest fix would be just to lock movement while levitating things, I think.

it seems like if you are pressing A or D (im using keyboard), not only it makes your wizard moves slowly, but its rotating the object you are levitating. I think this rotation thing is pretty usefull, but you really need to fix that the wizard is moving really slow :)

Devcong

Postby Devcong » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:02 pm

Some things i found during the demo was that if you were on a ledge and a skeleton jumped up to get you an you killed it it would fly into the ceiling and come back down. I dont think its much of a problem, but you guys might think otherwise.

And ive had many many instances where a sword wielding skeleton was able to attack me from a good distance.

And when i was watching the scenes in the game right when it would get to the end it would skip it and go to the next menu or load.

Im loving the game :lol: im going for another run through today in the demo, i feel this game has amazing potential. Ill probably be preordering it through steam today :D And i think i speak for everyone else with wanting patches for multiplayer and etc but i know you need the sales for it so im gonna buy it. 8) Good luck with the upcoming release and congrats for the e3 award.

Mooilo

Re: Some bugs *Updated 6/29/09*

Postby Mooilo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:18 pm

Another bug! Fireballs were spawning far too low in my last playthrough, causing some to explode right when they were created. Here are some pictures:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa8/Mooilo/TrineFireballGlitch1.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa8/Mooilo/TrineFireballGlitch2.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa8/Mooilo/TrineFireballGlitch3.jpg
Last edited by Mooilo on Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

beo6

Postby beo6 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:07 pm

Hello everyone.
I Liked the Demo alot and preordered the Game on Steam because it is fully worth it, and i got shadowgrounds too. ;)

and as someone who tests every thing that is possible, i tried the 3d mode (stereoscope) from the NVIDIA Driver with a red/green glass. I must say the 3d effect is really nice, it only looks like there is a 3rd ghost-image somehow so it will make a headache. maybe it will get fixed by nvidia ;) will maybe try it with a real 3d monitor soon.

but one thing i encountered in the demo i didnt liked much.
the movies from the demo end around 5-10 seconds to early, so the last words are cut.
I dont know why this happens, and if there will not be more movies in the final game it is not that annoying.
My PC should be fast enough to play the movies in full speed so that the ending of the movies should not be any problem with that.

My PC:

Code: Select all

Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
3 GB DDR2 Ram
64bit Windows Vista
Geforce 8600 GT with 256 MB

it is not the fastes i know but maybe someone know why the movies stop too early (any codec problem?).

I also played the demo on my Laptop, wich is really too slow for that game. ;)
but it runs with the absolute lowest settings @ 640 x 480, so maybe i can play it with someone in the holidays on the laptop.
(specially ordered a xbox 360 controller too... but not only for this game. have a old gamepad for the old gameport laying around but my pc dont have a gameport anymore.)

so keep up your good work.

[I am sorry for any possible mistake. my native language is german]

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:36 am

Mooilo, thanks, I think this confirms that the fireballs somehow spawn too low - and it's a bug. For a long time we thought they were just badly placed, but if it happens in the demo, then it's some kind of a weird bug.

beo6, that's an unfortunate bug. We noticed it too - it only happens to some computers. Are you using the Steam demo or the other demo? (We noticed it on the Steam demo but if it happens on the other demo too, then it's something in the hardware/game.) Let me know which demo it was and we'll start investigating further into this.

The game has the intro + the tutorial videos, and then the final ending cutscene.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

beo6

Postby beo6 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:19 am

Hello fb_joel,

I played the Steam demo where the movies (or possible only the speech) stop too early.

is the Steam and the normal demo not the same?

i saw that it is possible to start the steam version outside of Steam.
Maybe the movie-problem will go away if i start it without starting steam.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:03 pm

It might be a problem only on the Steam demo and caused by some stuff that the Steam wrappers etc do. I still haven't been able to test it myself... The demos are otherwise the same, more or less.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

djdna

Postby djdna » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:33 pm

im getting a bug where if i load the game, go into config and change to controller/custom config 1 and setup all the buttons, everything is recognised fine (all the controller buttons assign ok)

but then when i load the game (steam demo version btw) none of the controllers or the mouse/keys respond any more and im left looking at a "start" icon that i cant click on... so i have to alt + f4 and restart the game

i have a xbox360 wired controller connected to the pc at all times and ive been trying to use a wiimote/nunchuck via glovepie and blue tooth as well but i have the problem with either controller

just letting you guys know so hopefully it can be fixed later etc...

Mooilo

Re: Some bugs *Updated 6/30/09*

Postby Mooilo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:03 am

Another bug:

When you are blocking as a Knight, and push the attack button, for one frame the Knight's shield goes down to 0 degrees (assuming 90 degrees is straight up). If you are blocking at 0 degrees or close to it (because you can aim where your shield points) the Knight plays a short "push back" animation. I think this is due to the animation only looking right if the shield is at 0 degrees.

All of the bugs I have reported are in the first post.

Also, FB_lauri, I think you misunderstood what I meant about the gates opening. Sometimes they open but you still can't go past them. This only seems to happen if you run back quickly to get them to open without killing the skeletons.

I think a better solution would be to only make the first gate stay open if the player runs back, and make the second gate, or both gates if they are down, open when the skeletons are dead.

HaakonXCI

Postby HaakonXCI » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:09 am

I'm not sure if this was intended but when you fall into one of those pits namely the one where the bridge gets broken from falling rocks and you have to somehow get back after you hit the switch in the 2nd level if you fall into the pit and dont move you take no damage after the initial damage from the 1st touch if you jump in place sometimes. For me it varied but sometimes i could jump in place and take no damage but if i moved in either direction it would activate the damage again. This happened usually once every 4 tries of trying to recreate the scenario so I dont know whats goin on there.
I am the cat's pajamas.

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:41 am

HaakonXCI wrote:I'm not sure if this was intended but when you fall into one of those pits namely the one where the bridge gets broken from falling rocks and you have to somehow get back after you hit the switch in the 2nd level if you fall into the pit and dont move you take no damage after the initial damage from the 1st touch if you jump in place sometimes. For me it varied but sometimes i could jump in place and take no damage but if i moved in either direction it would activate the damage again. This happened usually once every 4 tries of trying to recreate the scenario so I dont know whats goin on there.

Did you ever try to jump in pit with plenty of spike? once you fallen in it, if you dont move or dont return over the spike, they will not hurt you until you fall on the edge of it ^^

But I must admit that if you re-jump without moving, you should take again the damage.. I didnt try it

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:13 am

Mooilo wrote:Also, FB_lauri, I think you misunderstood what I meant about the gates opening. Sometimes they open but you still can't go past them. This only seems to happen if you run back quickly to get them to open without killing the skeletons.

I think a better solution would be to only make the first gate stay open if the player runs back, and make the second gate, or both gates if they are down, open when the skeletons are dead.

Yeah, it should work the way you described it, but it seems we again something to fix :?

beo6

Postby beo6 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:14 pm

Hello fb_joel,

I tried yesterday the normal demo without Steam.

The problem with movie-talking stopping too early is there too.
So it is not a Steam-only problem.

but if i look (and hear) closely the movie and speech is a little bit choppy.

Maybe the movie plays always the same speed and when there is a small lag, the talking gets behind the movie and it is not longer in sync.
The small movies in the tutorial levels don't get cut at the end.

so it is possible really a PC related problem where only some machines make the movie out of sync with the sound.
(but it is not in all movies from games)

Only a idea how it can be easily resolved. Is it possible to start the map-loading only after the speech stopped?
Then the problem should be gone.

purple_pixie

Postby purple_pixie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:52 pm

fb_joel wrote:The game has the intro + the tutorial videos, and then the final ending cutscene.

Playing the Steam demo I encountered no final cutscene.

When I finish the demo it cuts straight back to main menu.

Also, if you look straight up and block with the knight, then as the mouse switches from being slightly to his right to slightly to his left, he flickers very quickly from pointing left to right and back again, which doesn't look pretty.
Not exactly a bug, as he is doing exactly what he should, but maybe a slight delay in how quickly he can change directions would make this look better.

(Noticed mainly when you have to run down the corridor blocking upwards in the tutorial)

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:28 pm

purple_pixie wrote:
fb_joel wrote:The game has the intro + the tutorial videos, and then the final ending cutscene.

Playing the Steam demo I encountered no final cutscene.

When I finish the demo it cuts straight back to main menu.

The final ending cutscene is only in the full game :D

purple_pixie wrote:Also, if you look straight up and block with the knight, then as the mouse switches from being slightly to his right to slightly to his left, he flickers very quickly from pointing left to right and back again, which doesn't look pretty.
Not exactly a bug, as he is doing exactly what he should, but maybe a slight delay in how quickly he can change directions would make this look better.

(Noticed mainly when you have to run down the corridor blocking upwards in the tutorial)

Yes, this is annoying "feature" we didn't have time to fix, but we hoped players would not exploit it forever :wink:

purple_pixie

Postby purple_pixie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:46 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:The final ending cutscene is only in the full game :D

Ah, simple misunderstanding.

No real issues then

FB_Lauri wrote:Yes, this is annoying "feature" we didn't have time to fix, but we hoped players would not exploit it forever :wink:

It's one I've never managed to elegantly fix myself in mouse-aiming platformers ... I was kinda hoping you'd come up with a great idea I could steal.
Ah well, no real loss, I suppose :wink:

djdna

Postby djdna » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:32 pm

purple_pixie wrote:

Ah, simple misunderstanding.

No real issues then

FB_Lauri wrote:Yes, this is annoying "feature" we didn't have time to fix, but we hoped players would not exploit it forever :wink:

It's one I've never managed to elegantly fix myself in mouse-aiming platformers ... I was kinda hoping you'd come up with a great idea I could steal.
Ah well, no real loss, I suppose :wink:

haha!

have you played the flash 2D version of portal? that seems to do mouse aiming and simultaneous character movement well imo... mario galaxy also does a good job of that mechanic in the 3D domain... not that you can steal either of those im sure :P

djdna

Postby djdna » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:36 pm

another couple of bugs to report here...

first one is that when i complete the demo i see no cutscene or anything, it skips straight back to the menu screen (which im guessing its not supposed to do?)

second one, i find sometimes the audio just disappears completely and i have to restart the game (sometimes the pc tho) to get audio back again

beo6

Postby beo6 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Your Answer is only some posts up on this page.

So at least i have understand what you said @FB_Lauri. ;)

i only wish the bug that movies stop too early will get fixed.

with your soundproblem, i can not help.
At least you should give some more information:
what soundcard?
what driver-version?
what windows-version?
or do you use bluetooth headset?

djdna

Postby djdna » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:14 pm

beo6 wrote:Your Answer is only some posts up on this page.

So at least i have understand what you said @FB_Lauri. ;)

i only wish the bug that movies stop too early will get fixed.

with your soundproblem, i can not help.
At least you should give some more information:
what soundcard?
what driver-version?
what windows-version?
or do you use bluetooth headset?

ahh sorry... thansk for the reply...

i just thought there might be a "you completed the demo, start again?" screen or something (instead of the full end cutscene?) as it just flicks back to the menu screen with no dialog etc...

sure, here are some more details

im using

a very basic PCI soundblaster soundcard (WDM) (sorry not sure of model number)
driver version is 6.0.0.0
windows pro, 32bit updated to SP3 (fully updated i think?)

system spec =

amd 64 5200+ dual 2.6ghz cpu
2gb ram
ati x1950 pro gfx card

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:33 pm

I found something, its anoying! Please Frozenbyte read this and fix it in a patch:

When you swim in the water, and you mouse click (primary attack) (and often its getting worse when you turn side at same time) your character glitch a little bit, its a grphical glitch like if he was getting f**ed up...

I dont know how to describe, but, just try it when you are in the water and primary atacking

BTW: GAME IS AAWWEESSOOMMEE!!

Edit: I got the 777th view of this topic, I feel lucky =)

Return to “Trine”