LAN Co-op or not?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
bloobie

LAN Co-op or not?

Postby bloobie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:03 am

People keep saying Local co-op, and I dont know if they mean split screen or over lan, or both

so is co-op over LAN?

If yes, I'll buy two

if no, I'll buy zero

PC version specifically

DarkJee

Re: LAN Co-op or not?

Postby DarkJee » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:09 am

bloobie wrote:People keep saying Local co-op, and I dont know if they mean split screen or over lan, or both

so is co-op over LAN?

If yes, I'll buy two

if no, I'll buy zero

PC version specifically

None of them, its on the same machine, but not splitscreen

Etana

Postby Etana » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:25 am

Yes or no, but not on the initial release. You'll just have to wait and see if the game itself becomes popular enough to continue spending money in it.

Edit: By the way, I'm referring to the countless other replies from admins basically said.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:52 pm

Yeah, there's no LAN and no online. The local co-op works so that all characters are on screen at once, and the camera zooms in and out a bit if the characters get too far apart.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

bloobie

Postby bloobie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:21 pm

bloobie can solve this issue using an hdmi splitter, one screen per person is bloobies fave

purple_pixie

Postby purple_pixie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:00 pm

bloobie wrote:People keep saying Local co-op, and I dont know if they mean split screen or over lan, or both

so is co-op over LAN?
PC version specifically

I'm assuming you're no programmer?

FYI, LAN support is not 1% easier to code than full on TCP/IP, so no, it won't be LAN.

bloobie

Postby bloobie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:17 am

Did I ask whether or not it was easy?

I'll assume you're no programmer either, coding forces one to think more logically, and you are far from that

I code in actionscript, and though I dont consider it on the same level as java or c++, I have created 3 multiplayer flash games as well as many p2p flash chat/video sharing. It's not easy but its not exactly that complicated.

What invoked you to make your snide comment and your ignorant assumptions?

purple_pixie

Postby purple_pixie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:47 am

bloobie wrote:Did I ask whether or not it was easy?

I'll assume you're no programmer either, coding forces one to think more logically, and you are far from that

I code in actionscript, and though I dont consider it on the same level as java or c++, I have created 3 multiplayer flash games as well as many p2p flash chat/video sharing. It's not easy but its not exactly that complicated.

What invoked you to make your snide comment and your ignorant assumptions?

First off, I assumed you had read the details that the game is not, as yet, going to support any kind of Online multiplayer.
If this was wrong then my statement was made from, as you say, "ignorant assumptions"

If you *had*, then I think it was an entirely valid point - LAN support is just TCP/IP support that just happens to use a LAN IP address and not an internet one. If they had LAN support, I'm sure the game would have full online support.

And yes, it may shock you but I've been programming for a fair few years now - I even do it professionally.
Mainly in the overwhelmingly obscure Caché, but I play around in C++ [in my free time] when I need something that's not purely text-based.

I really don't want to make this some crazy flame war - I meant no disrespect or nothing, and I definitely wasn't being snide.

And I likewise never said that coding multiplayer was difficult ... we've all written little multiplayer games.
But have you ever tried retrofitting mplay into a game that was built from the ground up as a single-player / local co-op game? That's a whole different kettle of problems.

And finally (off the ppint, but hey), why would you need file-sharing / chat programs when there is netcat? It does it all, and it's tiny ;-)

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:10 pm

I think the expression goes ... "Make Trine not war" .. or something like that. :wink:

purple_pixie

Postby purple_pixie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:I think the expression goes ... "Make Trine not war" .. or something like that. :wink:

That's exactly it ;-)

I was trying to simultaneously defend my position and avoid any disagreements / hostility.

But I'll say now that if I can't do both I'll just retract anything I said - this is no place for disagreement.

Unless of course anyone starts saying Trine ain't awesome, then I'll happily disagree with them.

Return to “Trine”