Any online activation on PC version?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
XenMonkey

Any online activation on PC version?

Postby XenMonkey » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:58 pm

Hello

I played the demo and loved it, I'll hopefully get the full version (Steam in all likeliness). I've also managed to more or less successfully 'sell' it to a few friends (cheque is in the post no doubt :P ). Anyway, one of them refuses to get internet and wants to know if there is any online activation or anything that would would stop a resolutely offline gamer playing Trine?

Thank you in advance for any answers,

Araris

Re: Any online activation on PC version?

Postby Araris » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:06 pm

The only DRM measure I know that uses online activation is Securom, the form of Securom which uses online activation is generally used by EA. I seriously doubt Frozenbyte went with that Securom.

XenMonkey

Postby XenMonkey » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:35 pm

Araris wrote:The only DRM measure I know that uses online activation is Securom, the form of Securom which uses online activation is generally used by EA. I seriously doubt Frozenbyte went with that Securom.

Tages does too. But that is by the by.

That is more or less my thinking as well, but I'd like to be sure, £25.00 is quite a lot for something that cannot be used.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:50 pm

Yeah. I doubt there's anything which would require online activation or anything because the whole game engine itself doesn't support anykind of online activity.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Syrijon

Postby Syrijon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:02 pm

Mr. ShadowStealer wrote:Yeah. I doubt there's anything which would require online activation or anything because the whole game engine itself doesn't support anykind of online activity.

Unfortuantely, that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Lately there was great disappointment about the release of a highly anticipated game in Germany, Anno 1404 (called "Dawn of Discovery" overseas). It doesn't even feature multiplayer or any other kind of online support, yet it requires online activation and actually limits the maximum amount of different computers it can be installed on to 3, without any way to revoke these activations.

But, that's basically the worst-case scenario. Considering that from my understanding simple online activations are utterly useless and only limiting for the actual buyers, I can also just hope that Trine won't feature any kind of it. Yet, that's likely up to the publisher to decide, and publishers tend to take illogical steps :?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:08 pm

Honestly, we don't know. I would imagine it is not online activated, but I cannot be sure. It's best to wait until the retail versions are released and then see how it is. (The copy protection stuff is out of our hands, it's the publisher's decision.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

XenMonkey

Postby XenMonkey » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:13 pm

fb_joel wrote:Honestly, we don't know. I would imagine it is not online activated, but I cannot be sure. It's best to wait until the retail versions are released and then see how it is. (The copy protection stuff is out of our hands, it's the publisher's decision.)

That's unfortunate, but understandable. Thank you for replying. I might try and hassle Nobilis about it.

It is Nobilis who are publishing it in Europe right?

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:15 pm

Yep. Nobilis.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

XenMonkey

Postby XenMonkey » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:46 pm

Right FWIW, in case anyone else wants to know, here is the reply I got from Nobilis:

Hello,

There isn’t any online activation for the boxed PC version of Trine.

You just have to have the cd in the cd-driver each time you play.

Best regards,

Carol, Nobilis Webmaster

w00t

Return to “Trine”