Aww man.. no online Co-op?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
mudbeed
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby mudbeed » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi,

Just found out about Trine today. Was googling videos and info and the game looks awesome. I love the fantasy action RPG feel mized with the Lost Viking puzzle gameplay. It is amazing. The first thing that came to mind was....sweet I can't wait to tell my friends and brother about this so we can play online together. I assumed incorrectly that we would be able to play a 3 player co-op game together. I have a PS3.

After some more googling I ended up here and found out that just isn't the case. It looks like Co-op will be restricted to local only.

I am sure you've heard this a million times, but what are the benefits of my Brother buying it too now if the only way we can play together is on my console? Can he lvl up his characters and bring his characters over to my house via save slot?

Does Local play allow 3 players or just two? Was the game ever designed to allow more than 2 player gamplay?

Is Frozenbyte HEAVILY considering patching in a online co-op mode? (it would be worth the time...the game would sell 3 times more)

I hate to sound negative, but leaving out online co-op is a huge mistake and I don't mean just because I think it is... nope... I mean it is a big mistake because it is horrible for sales. One of the first things people do now is look at online capabilities because co-op is king of the PSN right now. A game like this just screams "Co-op" Look at the trailer and gameplay! It says.. "Hey Jerk, Call up your friend and play online with them"

I know that Frozenbyte at this moment is probably just looking to release the game to get it out there. Wasted time = money. I am telling you though, as an avid gamer (mixed with a lil common sense), you guys would sell this game ten-fold with a Online element, even if the game is only meant to be played by two players max. Online is pretty standard now, not that you need a lecture.

I don't know if I will be buying this w/o an online option to play with my friends, is basically all I am saying. I don't think playing a co-op style game by myself will be very fun (if that makes sense).

Either way I am watching the game like a hawk... looks great. Thanks!

User avatar
Manny
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:20 am
Contact:

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby Manny » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:30 pm

To paraphrase and summarize the current status quo, there isn't currently a non-local coop, but it is being considered and maybe made available later. Main reasons include the additional non-trivial work that is required to develop non-local coop.

And you don't necessarily have to play by yourself. I know, the 1980s called and want their "local" multiplayer couch back, but me personally, I'm looking forward for exactly that. Good ol' GamePad-and-a-couch action with physically present friends.

User avatar
Mr. ShadowStealer
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:12 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:44 pm

PLEASE USE SEARCH!!!

THIS IS THE 101 THREAD ABOUT ONLINE COOP TOPIC.

:|

Or use this: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1712
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

SirDrago
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby SirDrago » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:48 pm

This is getting kinda rediculous. Just shut up complaining about no online co op. Its not that important. Does anyone care about playing the game by itself like me?

Zerath
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:10 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby Zerath » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:56 pm

Oh boy, here go again.
But honestly, I'm terribly sorry that you have to actually meet up with your friends. I mean, to actually physically meet them. That's hardcore.
Now when it comes to 2 or 3 players, the answer is both. You can play this game with 1-3 players.
Levelling part isn't that big deal. You swap characters constantly, and they gain levels together. And they aren't so big deal anyway, this is far from Diablo.
Would have tripled the sales you say? Ok fine. Let's presume it does. As it has been stated many times before, Trine is far from solo-man indie game. Frozenbyte is around 20 people strong. Google around average wages in the gaming industry. Now how long would that online coop need to be done? I've no clue, but since it's ISN'T in game I'd say 4 months or so. Who pays these 4 months for all those 20 guys? I find funny the rant that "You didn't have it in the beginning, and plan to do it later, why didn't you just do it in the start?" The answer is simple: developing games is expensive.

Maybe I'm just an oldschooler, but really, the fun of playing multiplayer games in the same screen is fun. Sure, online feature would be nice but I can live with that. Back in the days it was "Hey I got this cool new game, wanna come by and play it with me?" I guess that's not the case anymore.

mudbeed
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby mudbeed » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:57 pm

SirDrago wrote:This is getting kinda rediculous. Just shut up complaining about no online co op. Its not that important. Does anyone care about playing the game by itself like me?


Aww do you need a hug since you have no friends to play online with? Awwwww. It's ok SirDrago.

SirDrago
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby SirDrago » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:58 pm

Zerath wrote:Maybe I'm just an oldschooler, but really, the fun of playing multiplayer games in the same screen is fun. Sure, online feature would be nice but I can live with that. Back in the days it was "Hey I got this cool new game, wanna come by and play it with me?" I guess that's not the case anymore.


Yeah i remember playing Street Fighter 2 on the SNES with some friends. Man that was the best. Playing Street Fighter 4 online just isnt the same now.

And again does no one just wants to play singleplayer?

Eraser
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:11 am

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby Eraser » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:58 pm

Yeah it sucks, I can´t hear it too. People should get over the fact that there is no online coop. I really love to invite people and play with them some games, but guess what? Most games don´t have local coop....so I am really really happy that Trine is supporting this pure form of coop play.

I am one of those guys that prefer local coop over online coop any day!

mudbeed
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby mudbeed » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:03 pm

Zerath wrote:Oh boy, here go again.
But honestly, I'm terribly sorry that you have to actually meet up with your friends. I mean, to actually physically meet them. That's hardcore.
Now when it comes to 2 or 3 players, the answer is both. You can play this game with 1-3 players.
Levelling part isn't that big deal. You swap characters constantly, and they gain levels together. And they aren't so big deal anyway, this is far from Diablo.
Would have tripled the sales you say? Ok fine. Let's presume it does. As it has been stated many times before, Trine is far from solo-man indie game. Frozenbyte is around 20 people strong. Google around average wages in the gaming industry. Now how long would that online coop need to be done? I've no clue, but since it's ISN'T in game I'd say 4 months or so. Who pays these 4 months for all those 20 guys? I find funny the rant that "You didn't have it in the beginning, and plan to do it later, why didn't you just do it in the start?" The answer is simple: developing games is expensive.

Maybe I'm just an oldschooler, but really, the fun of playing multiplayer games in the same screen is fun. Sure, online feature would be nice but I can live with that. Back in the days it was "Hey I got this cool new game, wanna come by and play it with me?" I guess that's not the case anymore.


Hehe I know all of my friends..they aren't internet people. They are people in the same city as I.

Assume that I am a smart, normal gamer. I have friends who own PC, Xbox and PS3. I have a social life so friends will be over, but they also have their own lives and homes. I see no problem with playing with them at my house or their house. I have even less problem with playing online.

Sell alot more as I said above?

Well anyone with a brain knows this so to dispute it or to comment on it is kind of lame. If my friends know we can play together online, it's a sure sale. It is as simple as that.

People in this forum are pretty shortsighted and are quick to defend something for a feature that every standard game has now.

I apologize I didn't use search and see that this has been complained about a million times.

At the same time, if it has been complained about a million times... then what the eff does that tell you?

SirDrago
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby SirDrago » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:07 pm

mudbeed wrote:[

People in this forum are pretty shortsighted and are quick to defend something for a feature that every standard game has now.


Online co op isnt standard in every game. I could list tons of games. Online multiplayer is standard but not co op. And wtf we are talking about a small dev team. Stop expecting the same from them as from big dev teams.

mudbeed
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby mudbeed » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:12 pm

SirDrago wrote:
mudbeed wrote:[

People in this forum are pretty shortsighted and are quick to defend something for a feature that every standard game has now.


Online co op isnt standard in every game. I could list tons of games. Online multiplayer is standard but not co op. And wtf we are talking about a small dev team. Stop expecting the same from them as from big dev teams.


Hey Dillhole.

95% of all co-operative games are online enabled.

Saying anything otherwise means you have your finger up your @ss rather than on the pulse of the gaming community.

FlukeRogi
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:48 am

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby FlukeRogi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:18 pm

Thought for FB: for your next game, just tell everyone that it will be single player only. I'm sure you'd get less hassle than only including one form of co-op play, and then when the game is released and it has got co-op, it'll just be seen as an unexpected bonus.

AnaK
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:03 am

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby AnaK » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:25 pm

Online + editor = infinite replayability => mass money.

Non Online = some preorder + 70% piracy. (PC)

Enjoy.



btw, Play physically with friends is good, but they arent with you everytime when YOU wants to play.

SirDrago
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby SirDrago » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:32 pm

mudbeed wrote:
SirDrago wrote:
mudbeed wrote:[

People in this forum are pretty shortsighted and are quick to defend something for a feature that every standard game has now.


Online co op isnt standard in every game. I could list tons of games. Online multiplayer is standard but not co op. And wtf we are talking about a small dev team. Stop expecting the same from them as from big dev teams.


Hey Dillhole.

95% of all co-operative games are online enabled.

Saying anything otherwise means you have your finger up your @ss rather than on the pulse of the gaming community.


Look what we have here.... a little kiddy smartass.

User avatar
FB_Lauri
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:33 pm

I'm glad we have made a new subject of war, in addition to those boring console wars we already are a part of :D

But, I would ask everyone to restrain from such activities, as if you kill each other, there's no-one to play Trine :wink:

(I guess I have to write some sort of FAQ on the forums, but while waiting that, carry on .. easy!)

SirDrago
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby SirDrago » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:35 pm

AnaK wrote:Online + editor = infinite replayability => mass money.

Non Online = some preorder + 70% piracy. (PC)

Enjoy.


LOL... yeah i always like to play shitty levels made by amateurs. Look at Little Big Planet. 95% of all user content is shit. And this game isnt a shooter. You cant shoot eachother. You play the game, you find secrets and you defeat the endboss. How often you want to do that in online co op?

SirDrago
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby SirDrago » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:36 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:I'm glad we have made a new subject of war, in addition to those boring console wars we already are a part of :D

But, I would ask everyone to restrain from such activities, as if you kill each other, there's no-one to play Trine :wink:

(I guess I have to write some sort of FAQ on the forums, but while waiting that, carry on .. easy!)


LOL i cant help it. This is an indie title but some people coming here and just bitch instead of just talking about Trine. Pisses me off.

mudbeed
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby mudbeed » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:44 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:I'm glad we have made a new subject of war, in addition to those boring console wars we already are a part of :D

But, I would ask everyone to restrain from such activities, as if you kill each other, there's no-one to play Trine :wink:

(I guess I have to write some sort of FAQ on the forums, but while waiting that, carry on .. easy!)


Hehe well how about this, Lauri.

Perhaps people took my post as overly negative (though I don't know why)

If you guys were serious and said eventually (like in one year for example) it would be patched for on-line co-op I would still buy it.

I like the Lost Viking elements for single player... I really do.

But this is a game that screams co-op and there is no online element?

I am sorry, I don't have people over often enough to care about it.

I don't care about other posts in my thread because these r-tards don't even read the OP. I literally googled Trine today and posted my thoughts... heaven forbid you do that in developer @ss-kiss central.

I thought I was at the Trine forums, not massacre anyone who dares talk about online co-op (which is a F*cking standard, no matter what these other fools say).

Anyways, take or leave my opinions.. I don't care. Too bad there are a lot more people that feel the way I do than don't. That is obvious when searching online co-op in these forums (which is what I should have done originally)

Anyways... keep up the good work and sorry you hear more complaints than praise on a game that hasn't even been released yet...lol.

mudbeed
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby mudbeed » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:47 pm

SirDrago wrote:
Look what we have here.... a little kiddy smartass.


Look what we have here.... a dude that is an old as I am (I'm 32) acting like online co-op isn't important to a co-op game being dev'd in 2009. Quit pretending it isn't important just because you could careless.

Your comment about SF4 vs couch comfort of SF2 on the SNES was a joke. How old were you then? Of course it was fricking awesome! At your age it wouldn't even compare now and to pretend it would is stupid. Things were more new and exciting as kids...well we aren't effing kids anymore.

rmarx
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:50 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby rmarx » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:52 pm

Just read that Starcraft 2 will not be supporting LAN co-op (only through battle.net)... maybe some of the people here should change forums to go complain some more?

SirDrago
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby SirDrago » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:56 pm

mudbeed wrote:
SirDrago wrote:
Look what we have here.... a little kiddy smartass.


Look what we have here.... a dude that is an old as I am (I'm 32) acting like online co-op isn't important to a co-op game being dev'd in 2009. Quit pretending it isn't important just because you could careless.

Your comment about SF4 vs couch comfort of SF2 on the SNES was a joke. How old were you then? Of course it was fricking awesome! At your age it wouldn't even compare now and to pretend it would is stupid. Things were more new and exciting as kids...well we aren't effing kids anymore.


Co op was not the main intention for the game. It was added later thats why it doesnt have online co op. The main focus is the singleplayer.

If you are 32 then you should get over it and dont act like a 12 year old who never experienced anything else then online multiplayer.

And my comparission about SF2 and SF4 isnt a joke. You obviously dont get it. Playing together with people in the same room is completly different then playing against people online you dont know and dont care about.

User avatar
FB_Lauri
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:04 pm

mudbeed wrote:Anyways... keep up the good work and sorry you hear more complaints than praise on a game that hasn't even been released yet...lol.


Even I'm quite tired about this subject (see Lauri goes nuts vol. 1 viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1712 and Lauri goes nuts vol. 2 viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1722 ) I never grow tired of people who genuinely want to open a discussion.

While your opening was not so original, I understand getting attacked so harsh is either not fun. However, imagine you would be me, and then go to for example Steam forums, http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/f ... .php?f=644 , and see for example the most popular topics. It's all about people telling my work for which I've sacrified my life is worth nothing, if you want to read it that way.

Then come to these forums, where you still have decent people discussing about things, and find me telling people that I don't want to hear another word about these subjects. And then, unfortunately, you stepped in.

I'm not justifying anything, but this is very worn topic and I understand if some people are very fed with it.

Nevertheless, I hope you find the fun from Trine we have intended it to have, without online co-op.

mudbeed
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby mudbeed » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:06 pm

SirDrago wrote:If you are 32 then you should get over it and dont act like a 12 year old who never experienced anything else then online multiplayer.

And my comparission about SF2 and SF4 isnt a joke. You obviously dont get it. Playing together with people in the same room is completly different then playing against people online you dont know and dont care about.


I came in here and brought up co-op to hopefully find out more. Not once did I whine or kick and scream. I think my posts were responsible and weren't negative. I personally could careless about kicking my friends @ss in SF4 (which I do) locally or over the net. I have this cool new thing called a headset where I can talk to him just like he is in the room. To automatically assume i don't play games locally means you didn't really read my posts. I game locally and over the net all the time throughout the week. I get no more joy playing locally or over the net. The reason online is important is then i can play with others always and not just when friends are over. How hard is that to understand?

mudbeed
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby mudbeed » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:10 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:
mudbeed wrote:Anyways... keep up the good work and sorry you hear more complaints than praise on a game that hasn't even been released yet...lol.


Even I'm quite tired about this subject (see Lauri goes nuts vol. 1 viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1712 and Lauri goes nuts vol. 2 viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1722 ) I never grow tired of people who genuinely want to open a discussion.

While your opening was not so original, I understand getting attacked so harsh is either not fun. However, imagine you would be me, and then go to for example Steam forums, http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/f ... .php?f=644 , and see for example the most popular topics. It's all about people telling my work for which I've sacrified my life is worth nothing, if you want to read it that way.

Then come to these forums, where you still have decent people discussing about things, and find me telling people that I don't want to hear another word about these subjects. And then, unfortunately, you stepped in.

I'm not justifying anything, but this is very worn topic and I understand if some people are very fed with it.

Nevertheless, I hope you find the fun from Trine we have intended it to have, without online co-op.


I agree and after searching (which I should have done more thoroughly) I realize how worn out the topic is. Once the game sells (and it will) I think you guys will find the time to patch online into it (I really do).

I will probably buy this game later this month.

The price is definitely right and the game play is something I have been looking for.

Unlike what most people assumed above, I do have friends and family over that I game with so that should be interesting in the least.

Edit:

Forgot to add I am done talking about this because as it is obvious everyone here is sick of the topic.

Zerath
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:10 pm

Re: Aww man.. no online Co-op?

Postby Zerath » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:23 pm

Did even once stop and think WHY Trine doesn't have online co-op?
Do you know why deadlines exist? Why Blizzard can develop games as long as they like? Why rap stars drive enourmous cars? Because of $.
No kidding, if it would have been possible to have in initial launch (without sacrificing the fact that the game is actually good) they would have done it. Seriously, who wouldn't know that it's that awesome? But the sad part is, it costs. Now if loads of naggers like you actually buy the game, maybe developers get their cash and might actually be able to develop the feature.

The cries have been so vast that if Trine sells enough, online feature should come. Just try to understand that it wasn't possible at launch. I'm being optimistic here, hopefully so will you. But trust me when I say that Frozenbyte knows what people really want the most to Trine.


Return to “Trine”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests