Why does the mage's box stop moving when spell is over?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
Physicist

Why does the mage's box stop moving when spell is over?

Postby Physicist » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:30 am

It shouldn't stop moving and just fall down if this is a physics based game.

Also why i can't make the see-saw stable even if i stand right on the middle?

Tactical_Strike

Re: Why does the mage's box stop moving when spell is over?

Postby Tactical_Strike » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:15 am

They didn't add newtons 2nd law, conservation of Momentum or inertia because, it is "magic." It's not a gravity gun.

Physicist

Postby Physicist » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:53 am

If the wizard could throw the boxes instead of just dropping them he wouldn't be so useless in combat :|

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:08 am

Physicist wrote:If the wizard could throw the boxes instead of just dropping them he wouldn't be so useless in combat :|

The magician is not made for combat, else he would be overpowered because he's the "puzzle master". So the box only use to help resolving puzzles and get his ally pass some obstacles.

bibi

Postby bibi » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:32 am

Tactical_Strike wrote:They didn't add newtons 2nd law, conservation of Momentum or inertia because, it is "magic." It's not a gravity gun.

good answer. eventhough i admit, i found that strange myself.

purple_pixie

Postby purple_pixie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Actually, I've found that apart from the full-on onslaughts, the mage is quite competent at box-smashing skeletons.

Obviously the best way is drawing a box over and in front of approaching guys with perfect timing, but placing one and letting him climb on it before lifting it up and away works.
He can also slide a box along through them and push over edges / squash into hazards, or even straight up smash them if you can get the speed.

But he is designed to not be very hard, I gather, and is supposed to get destroyed in combat.

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:48 pm

purple_pixie wrote:Obviously the best way is drawing a box over and in front of approaching guys with perfect timing, but placing one and letting him climb on it before lifting it up and away works.

Well, if you place a box in his way, he will not climb on it, he will destroy it

purple_pixie

Postby purple_pixie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:58 pm

He won't destroy it if you place an existing box in his way [i.e. not a summoned box], as they are extremely conscientious skeletons and don't like wanton destruction.

They will happily smash up the creations of a feeble wizzard, however, as you point out.
I should have been more clear / correct there.

Question

Postby Question » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:06 am

I actually found the best way was to level up for the dual boxes, use one to momentarily distract it, and then get it from behind, in their weak spots. Crushing works too, as long as you aren't in hand to hand combat. :mrgreen:
I can haz online multiplayer naow?

Return to “Trine”