Feature request: level timer

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
cliftor

Feature request: level timer

Postby cliftor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:24 am

Hi Frozenbytes, I know it's a little early to be requesting additional features, but I preordered the game so I guess I count as a customer.

As I mentioned in another topic, I love speedrunning games like this. In the level select screen in the demo it lists secrets found and exp gained... but not level completion time. I was wondering if it would be a big deal to add a timer for each level? It adds replayability imo by giving players like us a record to try and beat.

Can't wait for tomorrow! 12 more hours according to Steam! Good work.

FB_Lauri

Re: Feature request: level timer

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:44 am

cliftor wrote:Hi Frozenbytes, I know it's a little early to be requesting additional features, but I preordered the game so I guess I count as a customer.

As I mentioned in another topic, I love speedrunning games like this. In the level select screen in the demo it lists secrets found and exp gained... but not level completion time. I was wondering if it would be a big deal to add a timer for each level? It adds replayability imo by giving players like us a record to try and beat.

There actually is a timer built, but we chose to left it out as it was confusing the UI and Trine's main purpose is the opposite of speedrunning (while it suits that aswell). I need to check programmers are you able to enable it in the PC version with console commands.

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:31 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:
cliftor wrote:Hi Frozenbytes, I know it's a little early to be requesting additional features, but I preordered the game so I guess I count as a customer.

There actually is a timer built, but we chose to left it out as it was confusing the UI and Trine's main purpose is the opposite of speedrunning (while it suits that aswell). I need to check programmers are you able to enable it in the PC version with console commands.

But with a patch, you could add a mini-mode that unlock when you finished the game, Time trial and in this mode you have to finish the level as quick as possible, and there would be worldwide score table

just an idea like that =P

Qieth

Postby Qieth » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:17 pm

Shouldn't be hard to do, and i can assure you it would be a massive success. I downloaded the demo a few days ago, and ive already played through it some 8 times. I think i could manage a 10 minute run of the demo. Im still a bit puzzled that i am missing an experience bottle in both levels of the demo, though. I have been everywhere :P

TheExodu5

Postby TheExodu5 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:08 pm

Arbitrarily adding a timer would be a bad idea.

A console command hack would be unintrusive to the non speed runners, and relatively easy for the speed runners to set up.

The best case would obviously be a trial mode, but that would take some work on the part of the developers.

Return to “Trine”