Is Trine retail Steam?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
kybeer

Is Trine retail Steam?

Postby kybeer » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi

I have pre-ordered Trine Retail (boxed DVD version). Does it install via Steam? As for example Dawn of War 2 does? Nice to get patches etc automatically.

Gnoupi

Re: Is Trine retail Steam?

Postby Gnoupi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:46 pm

No, if not bought on Steam, there is no link to it, no need to install it or anything.

kybeer

Postby kybeer » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:40 pm

No need to install what? The Steam client? If that is the case, is it possible to add Trine as a Steam game?

Gnoupi wrote:No, if not bought on Steam, there is no link to it, no need to install it or anything.

purple_pixie

Postby purple_pixie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:07 pm

kybeer wrote:No need to install what? The Steam client? If that is the case, is it possible to add Trine as a Steam game

Quite - you won't need the steam client at all.
You won't have to download anything (AFAIK) , just pop in the DVD, install and play.

You can pseudo-steam it (i.e. "Add non-steam game") which will let you launch it from Steam's Game list, and will update your status to "In non-steam game - Trine", but it won't be a part of your steam account, and you won't be able to download it onto other PC's.

If Trine supports the Steam Overlay, then (as with a few other games) it is just possible that launching non-steam Trine via steam will also let you use Shift-Tab to chat to people in game.
I can't vouch for this, but it is the case with a fair few steam games I have added to my list and run as a non-steam game.
Last edited by purple_pixie on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob

Postby Rob » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:22 pm

kybeer wrote:is it possible to add Trine as a Steam game?

If you mean adding it (registering it) to Steam so you may download and install it trough Steam without use of the CD and having it automatically update to the latest version, this will very likely not be possible.
Taken from http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1720:

FB_Lauri wrote:Im afraid this is not possible, as our publisher controls the retail versions and they have shown no interest towards Steam.

fb_joel wrote:The European retail versions don't use cd keys, so this is indeed not possible.

The North American version we are not sure about.

kybeer

Postby kybeer » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:20 pm

Thanks for the replys

Return to “Trine”