Why do you treat my PC like a console??

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
Dark

Why do you treat my PC like a console??

Postby Dark » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:53 pm

When are you guys going to get with reality Frozenbyte? Why is it that we are treated like console users with your games and Coop? I had high hopes for this game but again here we have to play Coop on the same screen and treating my PC like it’s some piece of crap console game. I put up with this crap in Shadow grounds but I’m sorry until you all get with the program and start making real MP Coop for us PC users I will keep boycotting your games until such time. Its ridicules in this day and age that pc gamers are treated this way. if you want to make Coop games paly on the same screen than please stick with making them for the consoles and stop wasting our time with this lazy way of developing games because you all don’t want to take the time to develop your games properly. Please stick to making consoles for all our sakes.

Gnoupi

Re: Why do you treat my PC like a console??

Postby Gnoupi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:57 pm

Bla, bla, bla, you're a bit late.

It was discussed I don't know how many times, it's a known fact for a while, now we got it.
Poor you, an awesome single player game that you can't play online. Bu, bu, bu.

There are plenty of topics to whine about it, why creating new one now ?
Last edited by Gnoupi on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Syrijon

Postby Syrijon » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Considering your disrespectful hostility, I'll just answer accordingly:
There is a thread which says "read before posting!", so you better go do that: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1736

TheExodu5

Postby TheExodu5 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Dark, if you ever want to be taken seriously, you may want to post with just a shred of maturity and be a little more respectful.

It's clear the developers were on a timeline, and adding multiplayer co-op is no small task. It requires servers for matchmaking or a server browser, and it requires the building and testing of the game's netcode.

They've already said online coop is a possibility. I'm sure it's going to be a question of whether or not the game's sales can justify the development of such a daunting task.

Dark

Postby Dark » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:24 pm

Excuse me but I have had this discussion many times over with fb_joel, and my being respectfully please!!! Those times passed. I was respectful in the past. I gave them every opportunity to make their games with full MP Coop. And I have heard that comment in the past about what’s possible and what’s not from them. And it’s the same story from them; they are lazy and unwilling to even design their game from the ground up. How many times does this topic need to be discussed and complained about until they realize that this isn’t the answer for Coop?? And why do you need match making for this type of game? The answer is you don’t this is a straight up Coop game, not Deathmatch. I doesn’t take rocket science to make Local lan Coop. As long as people like yourselves continue to accept what they give you as an answer you will always be given this type of limited Coop. I’m not satisfied with that as an excuse for an answer and I will voice my opinion as I see fit and if you all don’t like it than piss off.

Gnoupi

Postby Gnoupi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:40 pm

Dark wrote:I was respectful in the past. I gave them every opportunity to make their games with full MP Coop.

Oh, you gave them the opportunity. How nice from you. Who are you, exactly ? God ? Have they failed Thee ?

Dark wrote:I doesn’t take rocket science to make Local lan Coop. As long as people like yourselves continue to accept what they give you as an answer you will always be given this type of limited Coop.

Are you a programmer ? Have you already developed a game ?
If a game is thought as working on ONE machine, it's completely different to plan it for distributed gameplay, over several machines. It's simply completely different, and would require much rewriting, far beyond "make local lan".
Local lan, online, whatever, is not the issue, it's the fact of having a game working in a server/client, instead of simply one machine.

So now, grow up, stop whining, Trine is a great coop game, I agree it could be nice eventually to have it on Lan, but for people in the same room. I mean, for Shadowgrounds, eventually, but Trine, playing with a matchmaking, random people ?
It would be insane, with people barely communicating, complaining, or ruining deliberately the game for others.

And stop believing that your will is important. You are near nothing, just a little whiner on a forum, nothing able to ask or demand anything. Just nothing.

TheExodu5

Postby TheExodu5 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:44 pm

Dark wrote:Excuse me but I have had this discussion many times over with fb_joel, and my being respectfully please!!! Those times passed. I was respectful in the past. I gave them every opportunity to make their games with full MP Coop. And I have heard that comment in the past about what’s possible and what’s not from them. And it’s the same story from them; they are lazy and unwilling to even design their game from the ground up. How many times does this topic need to be discussed and complained about until they realize that this isn’t the answer for Coop?? And why do you need match making for this type of game? The answer is you don’t this is a straight up Coop game, not Deathmatch. I doesn’t take rocket science to make Local lan Coop. As long as people like yourselves continue to accept what they give you as an answer you will always be given this type of limited Coop. I’m not satisfied with that as an excuse for an answer and I will voice my opinion as I see fit and if you all don’t like it than piss off.

I am beginning to see why you might not have any friends to play local coop with.

Dark

Postby Dark » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:49 pm

In fact I am a developer and I’m sick to death when I see this lazy type of development passed on to gamers and thinking it’s ok. And I have more friends than any of you can even begin to fathom. And no I’m not going to get into it with a bunch o wannabes! Don’t try to debate me on this, I will not respond to any more comments you all are just not worth the time of effort.

Gnoupi

Postby Gnoupi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Dark wrote: And I have more friends than any of you can even begin to fathom.

Unfortunately, Trine can only be played with 2 friends. You'll have to make a tournament.

Syncerus

Postby Syncerus » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:09 pm

You're saying they didn't implement network multiplayer in Trine because they were lazy. Do you have any references or something to prove you are right? What I've heard is that Frozenbyte did think of developing a LAN/online coop, but they decided not to make it because it would require too much time (= money).

djdna

Postby djdna » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:31 pm

yeah because expecting pc owners to have REAL friends is stupid isnt it!!

idiot! im a pc gamer and im DAMN glad to see some local/shared screen multiplayer action in a pc game, id much rather have that than an online mode, at least then i can play with real friends in the flesh! instead of "over the phone" otherwise known as online gaming

TheExodu5

Postby TheExodu5 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:50 pm

Dark wrote:In fact I am a developer and I’m sick to death when I see this lazy type of development passed on to gamers and thinking it’s ok. And I have more friends than any of you can even begin to fathom. And no I’m not going to get into it with a bunch o wannabes! Don’t try to debate me on this, I will not respond to any more comments you all are just not worth the time of effort.

You're a developer eh? What kind of degree do you have? What language? What are you working on? Are you just doing some hobby-ish development work and calling yourself a developer? Would seem to be the case. :lol:

If you do have a degree, it certainly isn't an engineering one, since you clearly seem to lack any knowledge of the required engineering economics course (or common sense for that matter).

Going by your "piece of crap console game" statement, I'd have to say that your bias indicates a lack of development knowledge.

NewEra

Postby NewEra » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:04 pm

online just wouldn't work right... when you are in the same room playing on the same system you can talk to each other. You can't do that online and because of that the teamwork would simply suck.

TheExodu5

Postby TheExodu5 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:08 pm

NewEra wrote:online just wouldn't work right... when you are in the same room playing on the same system you can talk to each other. You can't do that online and because of that the teamwork would simply suck.

Well you can, but you need voice chat.

On the PC side of things, that likely means setting up Ventrilo or Skype to play with friends, since an in-game voice utility would either be too costly to implement, or would cost licensing fees.

It would be less of an issue on console where the voice should be part of the PS3/PSN API.

Not that the game would be fun playing with random people...I'd only bother playing with friends.

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:15 am

I'm just saying that they didn't make online coop, yet, because it would have required a total engine remake.

That would take 6 months, if not even more, from their coders to ONLY remake the engine to work over online with as small amounts of lag and packet losses as possible.

Frozenbyte's team consist of human beings too. They have to make decissions whether they'll eat less food or they eat more food AND pay their bills and rents and what not but give a little worse game than it could be in its top glory. They couldn't affort to use so much time JUST to remake the engine and test it out so it won't crash badly all the time and what not. All that time adds up on their development time and causing more costs the longer they have to work on the game and higher the risk becomes whether they will get enough money to cover the expenses from selling the game, they have to pay at their livings too after all.

So, it has been stated multiple times by FB team's representatives that they would have liked to add the online coop but they simply didn't have the time, money and they didn't feel like taking that huge risk with the game. Also the game wouldn't look as good as it does now if they did redo the whole engine just to support online.

I hope you understand why they had to push online coop out of this game.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Manny

Postby Manny » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:43 am

There are so many ways to answer the original post. For now, I think I'll go with: The Internet is for pron*, not for online coop unless you want to invoke rule 34.

* wrong spelling by design

purple_pixie

Postby purple_pixie » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:20 am

Dark wrote:When are you guys going to get with reality Frozenbyte? Why is it that we are treated like console users with your games and Coop? I had high hopes for this game but again here we have to play Coop on the same screen and treating my PC like it’s some piece of crap console game. I put up with this crap in Shadow grounds but I’m sorry until you all get with the program and start making real MP Coop for us PC users I will keep boycotting your games until such time. Its ridicules in this day and age that pc gamers are treated this way. if you want to make Coop games paly on the same screen than please stick with making them for the consoles and stop wasting our time with this lazy way of developing games because you all don’t want to take the time to develop your games properly. Please stick to making consoles for all our sakes.

The thing that shocks me most is how you get topics both on this, AND it being too expensive ...

Surely you can all realise that being allowed to play a game multiplayer after only buying one copy is a blessing?

How many games have I bought two copies of just to play with my brother? Too many.
How many have had the decency to let me play coop with only 1 copy? Far, far too few.

I for one am extremely glad of the single-pc coop function.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:52 am

Well I guess we sucky console developers just can't do what universal "developer" does in a flash :wink:. However, I'm glad helpful people keep instructing us what and how to do it, maybe we learn some day :D

I'm glad this topic turned out quickly to be "problem resolves itself" type, as after these tips I'd say 80% of the work is done! :D

Mitchell

Postby Mitchell » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:58 am

FB_Lauri wrote:Well I guess we sucky console developers just can't do what universal "developer" does in a flash :wink:. However, I'm glad helpful people keep instructing us what and how to do it, maybe we learn some day :D

I'm glad this topic turned out quickly to be "problem resolves itself" type, as after these tips I'd say 80% of the work is done! :D

Don't listen to these rude people. We love your game! Seriously, i played the demo and wow....amazing! To bad i can't afford it though...yet :(

Return to “Trine”