Game was waayy too short :(

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
Fjeskiny

Game was waayy too short :(

Postby Fjeskiny » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:00 am

This game was awesome, but I dont think i even spent 4 hours until i completed it.
And i missed 3 chests i think and some exp here and there. But still.

Way too expensive for such a short game, shame on you :(

Syrijon

Re: Game was waayy too short :(

Postby Syrijon » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:12 am

It may be very different for other players, but I find it very fun to replay previous levels several times, especially with new skills you didn't have the first time around. Also, in most situations in most levels I love to experiment, try out different ways to progress. Even if there is a clear, simple way, it can still be fun to try building some kind of wicked bridge as the wizard, find a way to swing somewhere unusual as the thief, etc.
According to Steam, I have played for 6.3 hours so far, and I'm only at level 9. Also, I will replay at least 3-4 of the previous levels to get all the experience points and treasures I've missed. And even if I'm through the game some time, I will surely go back to try out some more stuff and just have fun.

Paraphrasing what I actually mean to say: If you really want to get the most out of Trine, don't just play through each level once and leave it at that, but experiment with the freedom the game offers in nearly every situation :)

Mooilo

Postby Mooilo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:05 am

I've been playing for a total of 12.6 hours according to Steam, and I've played through the whole game once and nearly every level again to get the experience and secrets (still working on the experience).

If you beat it in 4 hours then I'd suggest turning the difficulty up, replaying it, or trying to complete it 100% with all secrets, experience, and achievements.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:49 am

There seems to be very great variation with players play-thru times, but obviously we have to consider hiding easy difficulty in the future and allow only people who really have hard time to access it :wink:

revolucion09

Postby revolucion09 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:24 am

Happened to me too! I loved the game and played with no stop on Normal difficulty. I dont feel i want to re-play it right now, I would love to see more levels coming up or an expansion. Levels more under pressure like the final one, some special stuff too!

great game, too bad i cant continue playing. Made me feel smart xD

ps. And i want the fireball for the mage, the tumble for the rogue and multiple weapons for the fighter :D. I mean, id love to make it more RPG like, big ability tree and stats, and stuff

t1rrr0n

Postby t1rrr0n » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:44 pm

i've got the game since its release, but i controlled myself not to play it to the end in one row.
i had to force myself to stop playing after some level.
i already played some level more than 1 time, even i didnt finished the whole game.
and i also had co-op fun (biiig fun) with a friend and my small sister (but not levels i havent finished in singleplayer :mrgreen: )

this was the only chance to "make the game longer" :)
today is day nr. 3, and im sure i am going to finish it today.

many people here write, that they played the demo sooo many times.... so you can do the same with the full game ;)

Fjeskiny

Postby Fjeskiny » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:52 pm

For the record, i didnt play on easy. I played on normal.
And i think i missed 2 of all the chests placed out there and 1-5 exp on each level.
It wasnt like i rushed through it or something, i just played tried to find everything and bam 4 hours later i completed it, i mean there wasnt even a real boss anywhere in the game?
Read a FAQ where the devs said that there would be bosses. I hope they wasnt reffering to the last boss wich you didnt even get to fight. Just chase him.

And 4 hours is my guess, how are you guys doing to see your played time though steam?
And also, where the heck can i see all my achievements ive got while playing Trine?
Im new to steam :D

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:47 pm

According to steam I played the game through in 10.2 hours on medium. I got almost every single XP potion and almost all chest. I think I missed like... 3-4 chests and total of... 10 potions across all levels. I think I have 6 levels where I got all the potions.

Very nice game. I think I'll start it all over again and try to get all the potions and chests too. :mrgreen:

Edit: On steam when you click the community and you get on your own page, scroll down and right. There's Trine, the play time and show stats link. Click the show stats link and you'll get the achievement list. ;)

And true. I was a bit disappointed with the final boss too. I thought you could fight it but instead it was more like decoration.
Last edited by Mr. ShadowStealer on Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

SirDrago

Postby SirDrago » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:56 pm

Just to remind people. Full price titles are short sometime too. Crysis SP was 8 hours and CoD 4 wasnt really much longer.

Simplex

Postby Simplex » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:46 pm

Well, comparing CoD4 with Trine is pointless since CoD4 has great multiplayer which can give you fun experience for dozens of hours beyond the short SP.
Basically it makes absolutely no sense to compare a short, single-player only game with a game that has a short single-player part and a (strong) multiplayer component).

If Trine really is that short (and has no multiplayer) then I think it should cost less. It costs 42$ in continental Europe - 42$ for 6 hours does not look like a good deal to me, but of course that's just me.
Last edited by Simplex on Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlukeRogi

Postby FlukeRogi » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:06 pm

Fjeskiny wrote:For the record, i didnt play on easy. I played on normal.
And i think i missed 2 of all the chests placed out there and 1-5 exp on each level.
It wasnt like i rushed through it or something, i just played tried to find everything and bam 4 hours later i completed it, i mean there wasnt even a real boss anywhere in the game?
Read a FAQ where the devs said that there would be bosses. I hope they wasnt reffering to the last boss wich you didnt even get to fight. Just chase him.

And 4 hours is my guess, how are you guys doing to see your played time though steam?
And also, where the heck can i see all my achievements ive got while playing Trine?
Im new to steam :D

Give how well hidden some of the chests are, that's quite remarkable to get all but two in just 4 hours...

Fjeskiny

Postby Fjeskiny » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:13 pm

Ok my guess was a little off, i check in steam now its not 4 hours its 6.2 :)
Still short for that much money, as someone said here other games that has a short SP experience has a strong multiplayer experience too.

lupercaleb

Postby lupercaleb » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:36 am

at least the game didn't sacrifice quality to make it longer

Etana

Postby Etana » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:14 am

I agree, the puzzles were nearly non-existent or much too easy, and the engine was sometimes easy to fool (planks on triggered platforms, levitation) and the game only took about 5 hours for me to complete on hard difficulty. I would've loved to have more challenging puzzles to solve which probably would've boosted the replay value. :/

voodoochile

Postby voodoochile » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:23 am

Trine was supposed to cost less.

The price on the Xbox360 is far better, but they apparently had some kind of problem and screwed up and the price was more than they expected it would be. It's a great game and for the price they planned it would be perfect. It was only more expensive because they made a mistake. They said they have learned from the mistake and it won't happen next time. I read an article about it on Eurogamer.

Return to “Trine”