Just finished -> my feedback

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
demm

Just finished -> my feedback

Postby demm » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:53 pm

I just finished the game (it took me about 7 hours playing on hard) and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a great game and I feel I really got a good value for my money.

Considering that, there are a few things that could be improved (in a patch or expansion pack):

* If you stop using the wizard's levitate on an object, the kinetic impulse of that object gets removed, causing it to slow down immediately. This feels unnatural and counter-intuitive. Why don't the objects fly along a path you would expect them to according to newtonian physics?
My guess is, that you guys wanted to prevent the players from being able to throw objects out of the screen area, to limit possible level exploits, but I would have preferred another solution.

* A thing where your physics implementation is a bit strange: If you pick up a box as the knight, it's weightless.

* The wizard would also benefit from the ability to "unsummon" objects. Maybe double click on a box to make it go away or something.

* The grappling hook mechanic doesn't "feel" right in some instances. I don't know why, or how to explain it though. I think it's because it is too slow to pull yourself up the rope. If you want to play a game with the perfect implementation of a system like this, play the old DOS classic "Liero".

* The Knight's charge ability is flawed, because it doesn't always work. It says it instantly kills weaker enemies, but I often need 3-4 charges to knock some enemies out. This is because of the level geometry, where I seem to get stuck on very small steps or slopes. Maybe the charge should be more "tolerant" to stuff like this, even at the expense of the possibility to charge into a bottomless pit :lol:
It would also be great if the charge would knock out several enemies at once if they are close to each other.

* As discussed a lot in the forums already, the Thief is too strong in combat compared to the Knight.

* Why does the "Up" Key (=W) also jump? This has caused several deaths for me, because I keep pressing the Up key while on the grappling hook, then jump somewhere, but forget to release the Up key, so when I press "Jump" the next time, it just doesn't do it. It is totally unnecessary that "Up" would also "Jump".

* The tower level was great, don't let anybody tell you it isn't! It was a refreshing change of the game mechanics. I would have loved it if it would have been even longer, with checkpoints inside the tower.

* Network Co-Op. I've read all the posts and totally understand your reasons. I think you made the right decision. I would love an expansion pack (DLC), that enables network Co-Op and gives us more maps specially made for multiplayer. Maybe even some versus arenas and stuff like that. Of course I would be even more happy if you could bring us network play for free :wink:. (Just imagine a multiplayer tower race like the last level where your goal is to reach the top faster than your opponent! That would be so much fun!)

So, thanks again for the great game!

FB_Lauri

Re: Just finished -> my feedback

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback, a lot of good things indeed!

One thing, there is a button for wizard to destroy created objects, I think the default is "Q" (when cursor is on top of the object) :)

demm

Postby demm » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:19 pm

Oh, I didn't know about that button :oops:
I still think double click would be more intuitive though.

whitebyte

Postby whitebyte » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Edit: I've changed my mind. It is key to use "physics" to interact with basic objects to progress. The manipulations you can do are limited, good to keep it simple. I was initially thinking from a more technical p.o.v (GTA4's engine, race sims etc which obviously don't compare gameplay wise).
I think the fact that this game uses physics goes without saying. But it really only has the basic physics you'd find in most games anyway. Not a bad thing, but *realistic* physics isn't what this game is about. That didn't answer your question, but I expected to see momentum (no biggy though).

The grappling hook gets me around. I don't know how to improve it but I think it could be more fun too. hmm.

W for jump works for me. I use spacebar only for exiting the grappling hook.[/color]
Last edited by whitebyte on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

orunin

Postby orunin » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:05 pm

* Why does the "Up" Key (=W) also jump? This has caused several deaths for me, because I keep pressing the Up key while on the grappling hook, then jump somewhere, but forget to release the Up key, so when I press "Jump" the next time, it just doesn't do it. It is totally unnecessary that "Up" would also "Jump".

Yeah, you can't jump with Space if W is held down for some reason.

Return to “Trine”