Suggestion: "Unlearning" skills

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
Syrijon

Suggestion: "Unlearning" skills

Postby Syrijon » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:10 pm

I haven't played all levels, yet, but I think it would be nice if you could "unlearn" skills. For example unlearn the Thief's double and triple shot, so you only fire a single arrow again. This wouldn't be a good idea if it was possible at any time, but maybe it could be an unlockable feature, so that you'd get this ability once you've finished the game and maxed out each of the characters' skills.

I suggest this because I know even once I've completed the whole game, I will still like to go back and replay the levels just for the fun of it. Trine is actually one of the only games in which I'll want to do that. And, I think it would be even more fun if I had control over the weapons and skills of the chararcters, so that I'll still be able to properly fight weaker enemies in earlier levels, instead of totally overwhelming them with the advanced weapons and skills you get throughout the game :) I think technically this could be rather simple. For example just right-clicking a skill could make you unlearn one level of it (down to 0, so that the skill becomes inactive), and every time you do this you get the exact amount of points back that you need to level it up again.

fallacy

Re: Suggestion: "Unlearning" skills

Postby fallacy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:13 pm

Meh... Just replay it under a harder setting and you'll see you'll need those upgrades to put you on par with medium.

Now the story should reset, and the chests should get closed (although empty) again after you beat it like they did in Mass Effect.

Braid

Postby Braid » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:18 pm

I agree about the need of skill respec option. You can find out later in the game you'd like to have the other skill, but you realize you've already chosen another one so you can't have it. I suppose it won't be very hard to implement in one of the further patches.

Syrijon

Postby Syrijon » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:32 pm

Braid wrote:I agree about the need of skill respec option. You can find out later in the game you'd like to have the other skill, but you realize you've already chosen another one so you can't have it. I suppose it won't be very hard to implement in one of the further patches.

That's actually not what I ment. If you could just reset your skills at any time, it would supposedly make you switch the skills around all the time. For example with the wizard you'd want to have more boxes in one situation and more planks in the other. Switching this around would be rather tedious and I suppose in the end you will have all skills maxed out, anyway.
What I ment was that you could "respec" the skills after you've played through the game and actually maxed out the skills already. Concerning the character's strength it wouldn't make sense to downgrade, but at least for someone like me it could be a little more fun :)

Braid

Postby Braid » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:48 pm

It's weird but I¨ve came through the game quite thoroughly, completed all secrets and lots of experience potions but I still don't have all skills maxed and now I am on the remaining green bottles hunt. :) Still, respec is good for you can for example accidentaly assign a skill you didn't want, and if you happen to do it in level 14, I am afraid you won't be very willing to play the game from scratch.

Return to “Trine”