MORE CONTENT PLEASE

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
project_demon

MORE CONTENT PLEASE

Postby project_demon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:34 am

Finished the game on hard and very hard, in 1 DAY... I found the game to be rather repetitive in terms of puzzles, Not once did i have to stop and think "hmmm how can i solve this? what should i do here", the game is really straight forward.

Please create more content, something really challenging that requires thinking and planning.

Long story short, good game, but too short. Any one agrees with my thoughts?

Kevgard

Re: MORE CONTENT PLEASE

Postby Kevgard » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:42 am

Already beat the game on medium with 100% experience / secrets. Started a new file on very hard working on getting 100% on that as well. Is there ANY sort of reward or unlockable or secret or anything for getting 100% on Very Hard? If not, that would be my ONLY disappointment with the game. =/

voodoochile

Postby voodoochile » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:57 am

Hi,

[contains spoilers!]
Well first off, it was short but would have been ok if it was a cheap game. The problem is that it wasn't cheap, but that is because they had some kind of problem with the price/publishing/whatever. It's a bit like Portal. Portal was short too, but nobody really complained because it was such a cheap game. Trine was meant to be cheap too but they had some kind of problem and the price for the PC version ended up being much higher than they expected. The Xbox360 version will be much cheaper apparently, and that is what the PC version should have been too. They said they will not make the same mistake again, so I think if it wasn't for that mistake, the length of the game would have been in line with the price. If this game is a big success and they make a lot of money on this game, then perhaps the sequel will be much longer and will be a full priced game.

As for the difficulty, I thought the difficulty itself was perfect, in terms of the combat and the skill it takes to swing long distances etc. Those huge logs that swing like a pendulum, they were quite challenging too, so all of that I thought was absolutely perfect. But I agree with you that the puzzles themselves were quite easy. It did have it's moments though. Perhaps I just did it the wrong way, but there were moments like for example, when you had a far jump over fire, and no apparent way to do it. In the end I used the wizard to pull a distant cart closer, and then I created a wizard plank on the cart, and a box on top of the end of the plank to stop it from tipping off the edge. I could then run and jump and land on the plank. That took some thinking, albeit only for a brief moment. I think if you make these things much harder, you will slow the pace of the game down and maybe make it a bit too ponderous for some people. You also risk eliminating the majority of players who I suspect will largely be young people who are maybe not as good as you at thinking through these puzzles. So you have to be very careful if the game is to have mass appeal.

But yes, I do agree that the puzzles themselves could stand to be a little bit tougher. Not too much or you cause problems like I said, but a bit more challenging I think would be beneficial to the game.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:19 am

Kevgard wrote:Already beat the game on medium with 100% experience / secrets. Started a new file on very hard working on getting 100% on that as well. Is there ANY sort of reward or unlockable or secret or anything for getting 100% on Very Hard? If not, that would be my ONLY disappointment with the game. =/

There is Steam achievement for that.

SirDrago

Postby SirDrago » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:15 am

project_demon wrote:Finished the game on hard and very hard, in 1 DAY... I found the game to be rather repetitive in terms of puzzles, Not once did i have to stop and think "hmmm how can i solve this? what should i do here", the game is really straight forward.

Please create more content, something really challenging that requires thinking and planning.

Wow nice so Forzenbyte should make a game for you who apparently has no life......

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:15 am

The way how the puzzles work is that YOU THINK YOURSELF other ways to solve them. There's even an interview where.. was it Lauri told that if people don't feel like coming up with interesting ideas for puzzles, they indeed can just run through them but the thing is that all those puzzles are made in a sense that you can solve them in multiple ways.

On my second playthrough I tried to solve all the puzzles the different way I did them on the first time and it's a lot of fun. :) It makes the game feel almost like totally new again.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

rmarx

Postby rmarx » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:33 am

Try playing the game in 3 player co-op :)

I really don't have a problem with the puzzles. I don't think they're too repetitive (maybe sometimes, but that's like 3 or 4 levels apart from eachother, so not really a big deal). And like stated before : there really are multiple ways BESIDES the obvious to solve most of them, that DO require some thinking and planning. It's actually a big test to see if you can find other ways besides the obvious to get to that nasty little xp potion all the way up there without pushing it off the ledge with a wizard-box...

The replay value is through the roof with this game and given some possible future added content, the price was not too high for me :wink:

Kevgard

Postby Kevgard » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:44 am

FB_Lauri wrote:
Kevgard wrote:Already beat the game on medium with 100% experience / secrets. Started a new file on very hard working on getting 100% on that as well. Is there ANY sort of reward or unlockable or secret or anything for getting 100% on Very Hard? If not, that would be my ONLY disappointment with the game. =/

No offense but I hardly think imaginary "achievements" are worth working towards. I meant more along the lines of bonus content. Take Mario 64 for example, get all 120 stars, you get to go to the roof of the castle, and get 100 lives from yoshi! Something fun, but extra, even if its something minimal. I don't see how an achievement can be considered a reward.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:39 pm

Kevgard wrote:
FB_Lauri wrote:

No offense but I hardly think imaginary "achievements" are worth working towards. I meant more along the lines of bonus content. Take Mario 64 for example, get all 120 stars, you get to go to the roof of the castle, and get 100 lives from yoshi! Something fun, but extra, even if its something minimal. I don't see how an achievement can be considered a reward.

The very hard is already a reward for completing the game, and it allows player to try to get a few achievements (full completion, and better than devs -achievement in the last level). The very hard suits well for second run, when most players are looking for missing xp and/or missing chests.

Giving lives is just one form of giving achievement to player (who needs the lives anyway?). The game itself should be rewarding enough for second run, and if not, then it's maybe good idea to try for example co-op.

project_demon

Postby project_demon » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:06 pm

SirDrago wrote:
project_demon wrote:Finished the game on hard and very hard, in 1 DAY... I found the game to be rather repetitive in terms of puzzles, Not once did i have to stop and think "hmmm how can i solve this? what should i do here", the game is really straight forward.

Wow nice so Forzenbyte should make a game for you who apparently has no life......

It is no insult to say that a short game is short. Perhaps you aren't a gifted fellow, and for your it takes a while to think things through and solve the "puzzles" of the game. But do think of others... To be honest, i thought the puzzles would be on the level of fantastic contraption except more epic (since the game looks amazing visually).

SirDrago

Postby SirDrago » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:36 pm

project_demon wrote:It is no insult to say that a short game is short. Perhaps you aren't a gifted fellow, and for your it takes a while to think things through and solve the "puzzles" of the game. But do think of others... To be honest, i thought the puzzles would be on the level of fantastic contraption except more epic (since the game looks amazing visually).

Of course im a retard you know ^^. Anyway stop whining about the lenght and go play another game. Apparently you treat games like fast food.....

Syncerus

Postby Syncerus » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:29 pm

SirDrago wrote:Of course im a retard you know ^^. Anyway stop whining about the lenght and go play another game. Apparently you treat games like fast food.....

What's your problem?

SirDrago

Postby SirDrago » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:36 pm

Syncerus wrote:
SirDrago wrote:Of course im a retard you know ^^. Anyway stop whining about the lenght and go play another game. Apparently you treat games like fast food.....

What's your problem?

I have none. What yours? Want to protect some innocent victim?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:37 pm

PEACE!!!!! :wink:

Kokos

Postby Kokos » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:43 pm

I agree it would be super to have bonus pure puzzle map pack

SirDrago

Postby SirDrago » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:50 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:PEACE!!!!! :wink:

But!But!..... ok :).

Ceracryst

Postby Ceracryst » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:37 pm

It's a pity that Trine wasn't designed with user-made content in mind. Even if these user-made levels weren't visually appealing, the game play potential in terms of new puzzles is neigh limitless.

I really think Achievements are one of the worst trends in recent video games. Trine's are pretty good, though - as they require you to actually go out of your way getting exp potions to be considered as having beaten a level.

So, how would Frozenbyte give MORE CONTENT PLZ?

Very Hard currently is pretty fun (though bats are pretty ridiculous on this difficulty), though it doesn't actually affect puzzles in any way. Even if it'd require far more programming, I think it would be interesting if Very Hard forced the Wizard to conjure contraptions instead of platforms and objects you could simply jump on. So he'd be able to conjure those floating see-saws, rotating gears or ledges-on-pivots and such instead of boxes, planks and BOMB-platforms.

... and weirder ideas. Maybe instead of holding his shield out, the Knight's shield becomes a shield bash, which would be able to block attacks, but also damage like the charge attack. This'd force players to have better timing to block with the shield, instead of just holding it to block.

DarkJee

Postby DarkJee » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:14 pm

Ceracryst wrote:... and weirder ideas. Maybe instead of holding his shield out, the Knight's shield becomes a shield bash, which would be able to block attacks, but also damage like the charge attack. This'd force players to have better timing to block with the shield, instead of just holding it to block.

I agree, weird idea. no thanks, shield is perfect like that. And if Trine needs update, there is huge amount of other thing that goes first in priority

Ceracryst

Postby Ceracryst » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:56 pm

Those weirder ideas were intended only for the Very Hard difficulty, not touching the other ones. Currently, fighting in Very Hard is fairly easy -- so long as I can find myself a corner to back into, I just hold out my shield, wait for the skellie to swing, then beat him up, and wait for the next one.

The only time the fighting becomes not-easy are in situations where I have skeletons on both sides -- or when I try to actively attack a skeleton and end up more likely than not - trading blows. The trading blows thing is actually very annoying to me, as it happens with the charge attack, sword attack and hammer strike. I'm okay with it happening with the hammer strike, since that forces you to swing early (and rewards your timing by instantly felling even the most armored skeletons), but it feels out of place with the sword and charge attacks.

Anyway, I read on a post (from a while back) that mod tools are a possible consideration. If so, I think this would really make the Trine community take off. =] I don't know how many mods are out there for Shadowgrounds (having finished the campaign for Survivor, more content would be nice -- Shadowgrounds and Survivor are relegated to quick, co-op blast-fests now) ... but I think Trine is way more popular than Shadowgrounds at this point. And Trine is more interesting of a game, too. =)

Return to “Trine”