Trine 10/10

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
AlCool

Trine 10/10

Postby AlCool » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:56 am

I must say I was surprised to hear you guys had released a new game. Right away I got the demo, and after beating it with 3 players via joypads, it was an instant sale to me. You've really outdone yourself with this title guys! It's so unique and different then what we see nowadays. No frame drops, a score of challenging levels, 3 unique characters, and a horde of fun. Each map is so well put together, it just leads you right through. There is never a moment where you find a blank wall and don't know what to do; it's always pushing your forward. I love the beautiful use of physics in this one compared to your previous titles (SG and SG:S), the rock solid gameplay, and of course your gorgeously rendered environments. My only disappointment was running out of levels :D. I feel like so much more can be done with this: new levels, new characters, the possibilities are endless. I personally was hoping for a trap where the wizard would have build a small fort to protect the party from an all sides quickly before the trap set off.

I see a lot of people complaining about online gameplay, but they do not realize how much work it would be to get the physics and every actor synced with as much as you packed into the game. Unless it was LAN it would be unplayable online, and only add unnecessary bugs and glitches. I for one am perfectly content with having a few mates hook in joypads and play on one big screen, just as with your previous titles. A multi-keyboard and mouse update like in SG:S would be great for those times that joypads are not present.

It has to be one of the best releases, if not the best, of the first 2 quarters of 2009. I have yet to see another game as unique as this one. Keep up the great work!

cement_ghost

Re: Trine 10/10

Postby cement_ghost » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:42 am

I totally agree! Online play wasn't an issue for me. I'm glad you chose to release it now rather then spend countless months developing and bug testing online coop.

I hope you have great sales and continue to make amazing games.

Ephexi

Postby Ephexi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:33 am

I have to say 10/10 as well. Been playing 23 hours according to steam, and still having just as much fun as I was the first time around, honestly. Huge potential to be had... online co-op would be powerful. I'm trying to spread the word and get people in, to aid the cause of expansion! =o

AlCool

Postby AlCool » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:27 pm

All I'd hope for is a mappack really, but any other cool features or extras that could be expansion worthy are just as welcome. Even if they use the same engine and make new characters and a new story with new maps, like an alternate version, I would definitely get it. I played it a solid 8 hours with 2 friends when I first got it, haha.

Online would costs far too much and take far to long for what it will actually give us. Frozen bytes usual aim is Single player, then they seem to quickly add a coop system last minute (As in shadowgrounds). In Trine, the coop system is more well developed, and incredibly fun. I'm glad its same system coop, because there isn't enough of these nowadays. Want to make use of gamepads and extra hardware that would only ever really be used on old game emulators.

Return to “Trine”