Question about the PSN version of Trine

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
TheNobleWarrior

Question about the PSN version of Trine

Postby TheNobleWarrior » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:27 pm

It has been announced on the EU PS Blog (http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2009/07/09/an-introduction-to-trine-coming-soon-to-psn/)that Trine will cost £19.99, $19.99, and €19.99. Any idea if this is a complete mistake? I really want to play Trine on PS3, but if the differences in currencies are going to be completely ignored then i don't feel willing to pay more for exactly the same game just because of the country i live in and the currency it uses. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Edit: The post on the EU PS Blog has now been updated to say that the price is going to be £16.99 in the UK and not the previously quoted £19.99. This brings the price much closer with the Euro. However i must says that Europe still have to pay a lot more than in the US, $19.99 is about £12.30 and €14.30. Why do the UK and Europe have to pay a fair bit more than the US?

SirDrago

Re: Question about the PSN version of Trine

Postby SirDrago » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:02 pm

I just get Trine then through the US store. Really do publishers really think they can force people to pay what they want? Really look at the Motorstorm addons.... $9.99 and 5.99 Euros. Thats a fair conversion i respect!

matches81

Postby matches81 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:24 pm

you only notice this now? It's been like that ever since I have my PS3 (now roughly 2 years ago) for most things in the PSN (and Steam and... pretty much any other occasion). Seemingly it's quite hard to do the currency conversion properly, so Europeans just pay the same amount in a different, more valuable currency... who cares? It's just Europeans anyway. Oh, and btw: The same applies to DVDs, BluRays, retail games etc. It's a bit ridiculous how it's way cheaper for me to order games and movies in the US or UK and have them sent here to Germany than to just buy them here in a store.

Anyhow... I have another question about the PSN version of Trine: When will it be released? And will there be a demo, too? I played the PC demo and really enjoyed it a lot. The only issue I have is the price of the game, since the length of the game seems to be a big mystery (no review I've read mentions it anywhere) and I don't really look forward to paying 30€ for a 4-hour side-scroller. Since the PS3 version seems to be cheaper for some reason I probably won't understand, I'd buy that.

Keytap

Postby Keytap » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:33 am

My initial playthrough on Hard, excluding a 30 minute session where I simply played with the physics engine (:lol:), totalled 4 hours from start to finish.

Make no mistake, it's a short game. But I must say, it's well worth the money.

matches81

Postby matches81 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:47 pm

So... 4 hours for the initial playthrough (which I assume was rather slow, taking a good look at all the sweet environments etc)...
"Well worth the money" probably depends on where you live, though. The game costs 30 USD, which would be roughly 21.50 Euro, but it costs 30 Euro here... that's a 40% increase in price, roughly, for no good reason at all but "because we can". I wonder what US residents would say if Trine was $42 (roughly 30€) over there.
This isn't restricted to Trine or Frozenbyte's games or even Steam, but is a general phenomenon that shouldn't exist in the "age of digital distribution" and, for me, is especially painful for a supposedly "cheap", smaller game like Trine. This increase in price moves it up to nearly full-price (there's a pretty wide range of full-price titles for PC at 35 to 40€ at the retailers here). The fun thing is that publishers (in this case Frozenbyte themselves) dropped the ball here, imo: There is no reason at all to not have a proper currency conversion when using something like Steam, making games cheaper in Europe and, thus, making more sales. Surely, if the US price is enough to generate feasible income, the same profit from Europe should suffice, too, shouldn't it? A 1:1 "conversion" rate definitely is far from fair.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the demo and I had a lot of fun back in the days with Lost Vikings (which instantly came to my mind when playing the Trine demo), but I think I'll wait for the PSN version priced at 20€ or a Steam sale putting it at 20€ or something like that.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:42 am

I must say 4 hours is exceptionally fast completion time, and most people have reported 6-7 hours (or more) for completing the game. So far I haven't seen anyone in Steam for example reaching 4 hours (Steam tracks the time, most people underestimate the time taken for completion if they don't have Steam to tell the time).

I ask everyone to judge game by 6-7 hours instead of 4, as that's what 95% of people get.

And final disclaimer: as the people in the speed run thread are proving (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1830), Trine can be completed in 30-40 minutes :D. But I'd still say their total enjoyment time is much, much more than 6-7 hours :wink:

Return to “Trine”