Re-Ordering Keyboard/Mouse Inputs

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
MasterDinadan

Re-Ordering Keyboard/Mouse Inputs

Postby MasterDinadan » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:16 am

Is there any way to change the order of keyboard and mouse devices in windows? My laptop has a "quick launch" bar which is considered to be a second keyboard input device by Windows (stupid, I know). The result is that playing co-op Trine is impossible, because "Keyboard + Mouse 2" will be using the wrong keyboard device. If I try to use keyboard + mouse 3, it's using the wrong mouse. There's no way that I can get the keyboard I want and the mouse I want to "line up" in the device order, unless there is some way to rearrange the order of devices.

Obviously, the best solution would be to allow us to make any pairing within the game. i.e., allow me to set my inputs for player one to keyboard 3 and mouse 2, my inputs for player 2 to keyboard 5 and mouse 1... Whatever! Just let me choose my keyboard and mouse independently of one another and don't force me to choose between 1-3 (the keyboard I want to use actually got forced into the fourth position in the device order).

FB_Lauri

Re: Re-Ordering Keyboard/Mouse Inputs

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:27 am

MasterDinadan wrote:Is there any way to change the order of keyboard and mouse devices in windows? My laptop has a "quick launch" bar which is considered to be a second keyboard input device by Windows (stupid, I know). The result is that playing co-op Trine is impossible, because "Keyboard + Mouse 2" will be using the wrong keyboard device. If I try to use keyboard + mouse 3, it's using the wrong mouse. There's no way that I can get the keyboard I want and the mouse I want to "line up" in the device order, unless there is some way to rearrange the order of devices.

Obviously, the best solution would be to allow us to make any pairing within the game. i.e., allow me to set my inputs for player one to keyboard 3 and mouse 2, my inputs for player 2 to keyboard 5 and mouse 1... Whatever! Just let me choose my keyboard and mouse independently of one another and don't force me to choose between 1-3 (the keyboard I want to use actually got forced into the fourth position in the device order).

The new patch allows players to use multiple mice and keyboards, so I guess it will fix this also. Unfortunately, the patch is only available for Steam at the moment (and soon for the rest).

MasterDinadan

Postby MasterDinadan » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:34 am

I am on Steam, and can use the options for multiple mice and keyboards.

The problem is in which keyboards and mice the game is picking out.

The current setup allows me to pick Mouse + Keyboard 1, Mouse + Keyboard 2, or Mouse + Keyboard 3.

On my laptop, keyboard 1 is the laptop keyboard, keyboard 2 is unusable (it's use for the quickbar, apparently) and my bluetooth keyboard automatically becomes keyboard 3.

At the same time, mouse 1 is the laptop's track pad, mouse 2 will end up as my bluetooth mouse, and mouse 3 will be unusable.

The game offers me no way to pair, say, keyboard 1 with mouse 2, which would be perfectly acceptible. Every combination available to me in the game involves either using an input which for some reason or another isn't avaialble, or pairs them in a way I don't want. If I could simply pick my keyboard and mouse inputs seperately, instead of as a "set" then I could mix and match any way I want.

If keyboard 1 is my prefered keyboard, and mouse 3 is my prefered mouse, there is no way to use them both in co-op. There's no way that I know of to rearrange the "order" of the input devices, so the way to game currently handles it makes it impossible to play as it's pairing my usable devices with unusable ones.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:40 am

Hmm, this is what the patch was supposed to fix, so I assume I have to instruct our programmers to fix it better! :D

Faceman

Postby Faceman » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:43 am

I'm having this same problem with keyboards aswell.

MasterDinadan

Postby MasterDinadan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:31 am

I have found a solution of sorts.
In Windows, you can open the device manager and look for your keyboards and mice. Right click on any unwanted input device and "Uninstall" to remove it. It will no longer be usable and Trine will not assign it to any of its keyboard+mouse configuration sets. You still can't choose which keyboard ends up with which mouse, but you can stop it from picking mice or keyboards that you absolutely do not want to use (such as laptop touchpads or keyboard quickbars).

Reinstalling these devices is very veyr simply, because input devices are plug and play. Just right click on the "Keyboard" or "Mouse and pointing device" section in the control panel, and click "Scan for hardware changes" It will automatically "reinstall" any input devices that are attached to the computer, so that you can use them once again when you are done playing Trine.

AlCool

Postby AlCool » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:05 am

It could be the same problem I was having and posted in the Shadowgrounds: Survivor forum.

In (Steam/Steamapps/common/)Trine/Config/Options.txt, there is this:

multiple_input_devices_enabled = 0
player1_mouse_ID = 1
player2_mouse_ID = 0
player3_mouse_ID = 0
player4_mouse_ID = 0

If you add "playerX_keyboard_ID = X" for each player with the keyboard matching each mouse, it can work. The only difficulty is figuring out what the game things is keyboard 1, mouse 1, etc. With multiple devices mine ended up like:

multiple_input_devices_enabled = 1
player1_mouse_ID = 2
player2_mouse_ID = 1
player3_mouse_ID = 3
player4_mouse_ID = 0
player1_keyboard_ID = 2
player2_keyboard_ID = 1
player3_keyboard_ID = 3
player4_keyboard_ID = 0

It's the exact same coding as Shadowgrounds: Survivor (it even lists a fourth player), so most likely it is having the same problem.

MasterDinadan

Postby MasterDinadan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:39 am

Well, that's just solves ALL of the issues, totally and complely. It would be nice if this kind of setting were available to adjust from within the game, but regardless, the solution does the trick. I wish I had known that a day ago. I literally spent hours trying to make it work.

AlCool

Postby AlCool » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:59 pm

I feel so useful XD
To be fair it took me about an hour to figure out how to mix my issues on Shadowgrounds, which then transferred over nicely to Trine only days later ;D.

Also FYI, it was a standard mouse and keyboard using the regular plugins, a USB mouse and a USB keyboard, and a wireless USB mouse/keyboard hybrid, and it worked far better then expected. I wish more games were as unique as this.

Walter

Postby Walter » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:34 pm

allright, i have tried that but everytime i try to change the options settings, it resets when i start the game. the mouse work but keyboard doesent for the second player.

AlCool

Postby AlCool » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Did you save after changing the settings on the notepad file? Also do not mess with any other options when you begin the game. If it doesn't save the options then YOU might not have saved them. I've never had any problems with it once I changed those.

silkeslips

Postby silkeslips » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:30 pm

I allso have the steam version og Trine and got the problem of the original poster. Trine binds the wrong mouse to the keyboard. What I need to fix this is a way to manually bind the keyboard to mouse setting.

Are there plans for this in a future patch?

Return to “Trine”