My thoughts and feedback on Trine, having though about it.

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
cliftor

My thoughts and feedback on Trine, having though about it.

Postby cliftor » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:15 am

I've now had a few week to digest this game, and I'd like to finally give frozenbyte my feedback.

First: I'm a satisfied customer. For about this price I'd expect to buy a platformer of about this length, depth and difficulty. Certain things about this game stood out as excellent, others not so much, but at the end of the day if I had to do it all over again I'd still buy it.

The Good:

-Graphics. This is the most easily noticeable strength of the game, and honestly, back when I hadn't heard of the game, the screenshots did a GREAT job of capturing my attention. The models, textures, lighting and everything really looks good.

-Art. Goes hand-in-hand with graphics; it wasn't just the graphics that caught my eye, it was the unique look. The mixture of fairytale fantasy with mysterious unexplained gears and cogs really makes this game stand out.

-Voicework. Rare for this to be noteworthy, I especially liked the narrator. He sounded like a kindly old man reading a nice fairytale from a book for me. Loved it.

-Gameplay. As an idea, the game delivered. I was told I should expect something like Prince of Persia crossed with Lost Vikings, and that's what I got. I loved all three characters. Their abilities set them apart from each other and each interacted with the physics engine in different ways.

The Not-so-Good.

-Level design. This is where the game left me wanting a little. Essentially, the game is pitched as a platformer with a physics engine, with three characters with different abilities to interact with fiendish physics-based puzzles. The characters and their abilities are there. The puzzles are not.

Basically, I felt the game took the safe route in design. Nothing in the levels surprised me or forced me to really wrap my head around the engine and the tools I had. I was never challenged. There are only so many pendulums you can put in our way. What makes, say, for example, Braid so great is it takes a nice but not necessarily original idea (time manipulation) and runs with it, plays with it and really engenders mind-expanding reactions from the player.

I felt Trine had great ideas, but didn't take off with them. There are so many bizarre and fascinating possibilities offered by the engine, but I didn't see them. I never said "wow" at what I was expected to do (but I did say wow at the scenery :D )

Basically, the game had potential to make me think. But it didn't make me think.

-Difficulty. I am not a super-human gamer, but I started on Hard and it was not Hard. Spikes aren't instant kills. Enemies aren't a threat. The respawn system was incredibly generous, I never felt in danger. This also relates to level design, as I never had to think.

My suggestions for future games/content:
-If you plan on supporting this game with post release content, I STRONGLY recommend going the extra levels/challenges route rather than giving us a level editor. I'd rather have levels designed by professionals (that's you). Let your imagination run wild with utterly labrynthine and mind-bending physics puzzles. Hire a physicist as a consultant, if you have to. Most of them have great senses of humor and know how to present new material with interesting examples.

-Whatever makes your game interesting or unique, be sure to run with it.

In the end, I still loved Trine because I had fun. It was a good game, just not a stellar game. It could have been, though.

Landazar

Re: My thoughts and feedback on Trine, having though about it.

Postby Landazar » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:23 am

I'll give a little of my own feedback and thoughts regarding the puzzles, I think if the puzzles had way too much thinking requirements to them it would slow the pace of the game too much, making it a little bit harder then it is now would definitly be nicer, the ability to cross almost through anything with the thief is pretty disturbing considering i looked at her hot legs swinging on a rope, on a serious note tho - there should have been more wizard required puzzles for single player, i think this game is much better on co-op and elevates the use of everyone to get some of the characters passed certain areas.

In short : it takes between 2-5 seconds to figure most of the puzzles the moment you stare them, the game could use throughout the game a few puzzles that take longer to solve - along with the small puzzles :)

AlCool

Postby AlCool » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:57 pm

If they make a choice between levels (like pathways) they could really put time into some seriously challenging levels, while also having some simpler ones. A game like goemon's great adventure captured a sidescroller with multiple characters, and many level choices very well. It also included many difficult and many easy puzzles, but progressively in the game the puzzles and difficulty went up, as would be expected in a game. I'd love to see Trine with a sort of Super Mario world-esq map system to choose levels.

qeinar

Postby qeinar » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:21 pm

cliftor wrote:My suggestions for future games/content:
-If you plan on supporting this game with post release content, I STRONGLY recommend going the extra levels/challenges route rather than giving us a level editor. I'd rather have levels designed by professionals (that's you). Let your imagination run wild with utterly labrynthine and mind-bending physics puzzles. Hire a physicist as a consultant, if you have to. Most of them have great senses of humor and know how to present new material with interesting examples.

Well i can see alot of good things comming out of a good level editor for trine.. like wizard flying challenges and hookshoot maps.. :D

Return to “Trine”