The main purpose is to open up how our level editor works, even the information would be useless to everyone else . Also, at best it's a vague description from a person who has last used the editor in 2008, and only briefly by then also. I'm also going to speculate a possible release and what it would include, so people would have better understanding of what they can do with it.
What we need to do before we can release the editor
1) decision. Well, that's only decision, but it includes commitment to do needed tasks, and to provide required support so people could have a small chance to use the editor.
2) eventually, we have to patch the game to support loading custom levels. That's not too much work, but it still is work. However, I'm sure the levels can also be loaded with console commands in the meantime.
What we would provide with the level editor
- - The editor(s) itself
- Some basic instructions how to get started
- All original Trine levels for learning and editing purposes
- All assets of Trine (which already are non-crypted with the full version)
For us, it's like this (highly simplistic version):
game design -> level gameplay design -> (art asset creation) -> level art placement and lighting -> level cameras -> level audio placement -> level testing
For fans using our level editor, I would imagine editing our existing levels would bring ease to visual and/or gameplay design, but once again, what suits someone doesn't work with other.
I'll expand this description based on questions, if someone has any.