Trine Physx Comparison?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
Trigeminal

Trine Physx Comparison?

Postby Trigeminal » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:41 pm

Does anyone know the difference between trine with an nvidia card and without? I would love to see some comparison photos of physx on and off.

Simplex

Re: Trine Physx Comparison?

Postby Simplex » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:00 am

Are you sure that if you dont have nvidia card then the physx is off? Perhaps in that case it is still on, but the calculations are made by cpu, not gpu? (Just guessing).

Trigeminal

Postby Trigeminal » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:16 am

Simplex wrote:Are you sure that if you dont have nvidia card then the physx is off? Perhaps in that case it is still on, but the calculations are made by cpu, not gpu? (Just guessing).

Many games offload the physics to the cpu, but reduce the quantity/quality of the effets. Just wondering if that is the case in Trine.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:56 am

In PC version of Trine players can themselves tweak the level of visuals from the launcher. In PS3 version, it's same for everyone :)

(about the original question I however don't have a certain answer :? )

beo6

Postby beo6 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:10 pm

I think we need to differentiate between effect-physics and game-physics.

effect-physics are not needed to play and win the game. a nice example is Mirrors Edge. If you enable PhysX for Mirrors Edge you see some paper-walls that get ripped off if you go through them or Windows break into pieces nicer.

In Trine however. crates are needed for some puzzles etc. so in Trine it should not make any visible difference between CPU or GPU calculated Physics.

Only difference that you would see is the CPU load and GPU load.

But i don't know if Trine really support GPU calculated Physic. I am not sure, because i can enable a on-screen text in my driver that shows in the game if it uses PhysX on CPU or GPU, and last time i checked it, it showed only CPU-PhysX even i enabled GPU-calculation in the NVIDIA-Driver.

Kayann

Postby Kayann » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:24 pm

I know nothing about this, so sorry I have nothing to add, but a question.

I see in the Trine game folder a file called "PhysX_9.09.0408_SystemSoftware.exe"

What's this for? Was it going to be used, but isn't? Was it automatically run during install? Does it need to be run? Whatever the case, does it do anything if as beo6 indicated above, the game doesn't appear to be using PhysX?

Okay, so that's a few questions! Just throwing them out their to add to the mix! :D

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:45 pm

PhysX_9.09.0408_SystemSoftware.exe is PhysX's redistributable packet, which is used to install PhysX drivers when you install the game also. Trine does use PhysX for all physics, but I guess the guestion is whether to use CPU or Nvidia GPU for calculating the physics.

Kein

Postby Kein » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:06 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:In PC version of Trine players can themselves tweak the level of visuals

Ehh? You mean Graphic level -> Detail Level? Or something clearly related to PhysX? I wasn't able to find latter options in Launcher :(

Wolfpaw

Postby Wolfpaw » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:57 pm

Trigeminal wrote:Does anyone know the difference between trine with an nvidia card and without? I would love to see some comparison photos of physx on and off.

There is no visual difference between PhysX calculations being done by the GPU or by the CPU. The PhysX engine can offload some of the physics calculation work (collisions, gravity, that sort of thing) to the graphics card - which, depending on the game, may have plenty of spare oomph to do these calculations. Trine is a perfect example of this; the actual graphics engine is rather lightweight - while the atmosphere and level of detail is awesome, it does not seem like there is extremely complex rendering going on. This leaves a powerful GPU with plenty of "free time" to do the physics.

So, PhysX is able to offload work from your CPU to your graphics card. This is purely "behind the scenes" calculation that usually does not have a direct effect on visuals. Only when it is used for fluff (say, shredding parts off a car when it hits a wall and bouncing them along the tarmac realistically) would you see a difference. I would assume Trine to use it for the actual physic based gameplay - which is essential and cannot be turned off. So the only difference between "an nvidia card" and "without" would be the graph that you see a load peak on. And the fan speed of your CPU cooler. :p

Return to “Trine”