1.01 patch for US?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
Caudill

1.01 patch for US?

Postby Caudill » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:54 am

Now that Trine is finally released in North America I was wondering when we'll be receiving the 1.01 patch that Europe got?

Been enjoying the game so far, but wow! those generic trophy icons have to go, release the patch please :wink:

*buzzyon

Re: 1.01 patch for US?

Postby *buzzyon » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:01 am

I am SO happy to finally have trine (it's awesome!), but I was wondering the same thing.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:53 pm

We're trying to get it out. It's a different process than for Europe, so it's taking longer and I can't really say what's going to happen... We definitely would want to release it because among other things, it makes the last level easier and would help a lot with some frustration that is bound to occur, otherwise we're gonna take a lot of heat again. :oops: (If you do get frustrated at the level, note that you can change the difficulty level to Easy in the menus, definitely recommended.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

SevWolf

Postby SevWolf » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Speaking about the last level, I still remember how nervous I was when I started playing the level, especially after hearing about all the frustration around it....died a couple of times (got frustrated) but after taking a break for a couple of hours, went back and enjoyed that level a lot...it was a great idea for a level and there was even a point where I laughed...it was when you jump on the platform (which goes down after being affected by the characters weight) and then you want to jump on the next one and in that moment the king summons a plank between the two platform, I got blocked and died but didnt get pissed, I actually laughed, it was as if you guys read my mind :P....after finishing it though I realized it was a great level, I can now easily beat it without dieing (just got the Better than Developer trophy) but I still feel my heart racing when I see the lava catching up and the great music is playing in the background :lol:
But yeah it really needs a picture with the music when you're in the XMB and the trophies really need pics :P
P.S. For some reason it was great to see Lauri's name in the credits, thats when I really felt like the devs were actually communicating with the gamers :P, sorry for forgetting the others (like joel) but Lauri's name just stood out

Kein

Postby Kein » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:23 pm

I still don't understand why everyone so hate last level. It's the best level in the game, I hope some DLC with such levels will come out soon >_>

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:04 pm

Still no news on the US patch, sorry. :(

(And btw, SevWolf, how can you miss my name in the credits?! I'm there like three times too! Why does Lauri always get all the love... :mrgreen: )
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

merged

Postby merged » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:57 am

When I synced my trophies a moment ago, the "new" images showed up in my PS3 profile, though when I sign off of PSN the placeholders are still present. Does this mean a patch (North America) is coming soon? Forgive me, I just resumed playing again after a long delay, and haven't been keeping up with news though I did scan the forum. I just don't want to screw myself trophy or progress-wise, which has happened to me in a couple other games that got patched. Thanks!

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:59 pm

To be honest I'm not totally sure what's happening - but I believe that the Trophies that are shown online use the European images. It doesn't mean anything regarding the US patch I think...

You won't lose any Trophies if/when the patch is applied so you don't need to worry about that. When the patch is released it should automatically update all old Trophies to new images too.

I still don't have any news on the release front though, which is a little bit worrying... I guess it's possible that it won't be released at all. We'd really want it to be released though so let's see what happens.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

merged

Postby merged » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:53 am

Yeah, I figured I'd be safe from the sound of it but after some past instances it never hurts to check. Good luck getting the patch out even though it seems to be out of your hands at this point, it'd be cool to have nice trophy art since the rest of the game looks so good. Really enjoying the game so far, nice work.

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:24 pm

Per my own opinion, this post started out as me defending the last level and as I kept trying to do so, I kept finding more reasons to contest its existence. I do not dislike the last level, I only see its existence in the main storyline an issue.

I could attach a multitude of reasons why the last level should've been left as an extra challenge. It does not allow for much time to think, it has a lot of challenges which are foreign to the players up to that point, it requires people rush through things missing the experience they probably don't need along the way, and it puts a lot of pressure on the player to start learning how to get accustomed to the playability of other characters in ways the player probably hasn't needed to do especially if the player is going it solo like I reluctantly did. The last level also does not have any nearby checkpoints from my short play-session before dying.

I'm not going to say the last level is a poor experience, but I will definitely say it feels like it does not belong in this game as a requirement of the main storyline. It would almost seem better to attach it to an extra challenge the player can choose to do or not on his or her way to beating the game. While I say these things, I only played the last level once and did not realize the lava was coming up before I had about a 20 seconds to defy it. I have no real way of saying what the last level really is like, but after playing through the entire game in one sitting up to that point, I can say the last level broke the feeling I had to keep continuing my play-through. It was in my wishes to go through the entire game in co-op, but the game was so good I couldn't stop. The end of the game is pretty much another game entirely as the skills you learned up until then are nearly useless and do not acclimate themselves to this new challenge.

I was going through the game thinking to myself how there were no artificial time barriers unless you could the annoying respawning enemy that just wouldn't stop trying to hack up my wizard. Then I got to the end and had to try to convince myself it was fine. After really thinking about it :idea: for quite some time, it's become apparent I really wanted a more puzzle-based final level. I think, the only way I can attribute the final level to being a big part of the game is looking at it as an entire boss fight. All the boss fights in the game are unlike any of the game up to that point so why shouldn't this final level be any different? One thing all the boss fights had in common is the need to fight some sort of larger enemy or a group of spawning enemies whereas this one requires a traversal up a tower to fight the final boss and the level even includes a timer whether displayed on the screen or not.

On the other hand, is there a need for the patch? Probably not. It really doesn't seem that hard, but if I wanna beat it on the hard or very hard difficulties? I could see it getting more difficult. Either way, I thought we were at version 1.05. Isn't that past 1.01?

Gilleland

Postby Gilleland » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:16 am

I think this 1.01 patch is for the PS3 version, which has not been patched at all.

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:14 am

Oh, haha. I still wanted to say something about the last level.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:02 pm

Those are some good thoughts for sure. We're really unhappy that the last level is as hard as it is (unpatched), because that's a problem we could have avoided.

(That said, the last level is how it is for a rather simple reason: we wanted to end the game with a "boss" level but we did not have time to create an actual boss. Bosses such as monsters or huge puzzles take a lot of time, so we figured out a way to have a distinct end level that would give the players an adrenaline rush without requiring too much development time. In hindsight we would fix a few other things besides difficulty, or if we had had time we would've created a truly proper boss level, but as it stands it's the tough difficulty that we most regret.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

aphexLOX

Postby aphexLOX » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:21 pm

Kein wrote:I still don't understand why everyone so hate last level. It's the best level in the game, I hope some DLC with such levels will come out soon >_>

I 100% agree. I am sad to see all the flak that Frozenbyte is taking for this game; I absolutely love it, and the complaints that I have noticed so far seem to be nothing more than overly meticulous "noob whining" (if I may be so crude). I wish more Trine enthusiasts would browse this forum instead of trolling-flaming-complainers, because there is definitely a disproportionate representation of those who are complaining about the experience than those content with Trine. I just hope you guys at Frozenbyte realize this and don't think that the majority of people dislike the game. Just weight every positive comment you guys receive on a ratio of 10 to 1 against the negative comments :P. Anyways I've gone way off topic... back to the patch discussion!

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:51 pm

aphexLOX wrote:
Kein wrote:I still don't understand why everyone so hate last level. It's the best level in the game, I hope some DLC with such levels will come out soon >_>

I 100% agree. I am sad to see all the flak that Frozenbyte is taking for this game; I absolutely love it, and the complaints that I have noticed so far seem to be nothing more than overly meticulous "noob whining" (if I may be so crude). I wish more Trine enthusiasts would browse this forum instead of trolling-flaming-complainers, because there is definitely a disproportionate representation of those who are complaining about the experience than those content with Trine. I just hope you guys at Frozenbyte realize this and don't think that the majority of people dislike the game. Just weight every positive comment you guys receive on a ratio of 10 to 1 against the negative comments :P. Anyways I've gone way off topic... back to the patch discussion!

I really don't see what the buff is either. The best I could say is the level differed from everything like like my post states, but I personally really don't mind it being in there. I can say I was harsh with my message and should go back and tone it down. The level is just different.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:54 pm

aphexLOX wrote:I 100% agree. I am sad to see all the flak that Frozenbyte is taking for this game; I absolutely love it, and the complaints that I have noticed so far seem to be nothing more than overly meticulous "noob whining" (if I may be so crude). I wish more Trine enthusiasts would browse this forum instead of trolling-flaming-complainers, because there is definitely a disproportionate representation of those who are complaining about the experience than those content with Trine. I just hope you guys at Frozenbyte realize this and don't think that the majority of people dislike the game. Just weight every positive comment you guys receive on a ratio of 10 to 1 against the negative comments :P. Anyways I've gone way off topic... back to the patch discussion!

Don't be sad. :) There's basically as much feedback as with the SG games, and I think it's roughly as positive/negative - but the difference is in sales. Trine has sold a lot better than the SG games (which tells you more about SG sales than Trine sales, to be honest, but we're anyhow somewhat happy with the sales). We know there's thousands of Trine players who have had no troubles with the game, and probably feel very positive about it. Negative and constructive feedback is not a problem for us usually, especially now that the game has had a fairly positive response in the media and from gamers in general. So no worries on that front. :) (And in fact, we'll probably not face similar issues with the last level ever again in our future games, it's a lesson learned now.)

On topic, nothing new on the patch.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:29 pm

I just realized something, not only did this patch make it to the US, so did up to patch version 4.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Saturn2888 wrote:I just realized something, not only did this patch make it to the US, so did up to patch version 4.
Hmm? I'm not sure what you're saying here. As far as we know the 1.01 patch hasn't been released on US PSN. In theory I guess it could happen without us knowing about it but I doubt that's the case. I'd be glad to be proven wrong though!
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:20 pm

I was talking about on PC because I thought I remember the thread being about the patch missing on PC which is why we were talking about the last level being very difficult so I figured I might have wanted to update the thread saying that the patch was released. I guess I must've forgotten this was a PS3-related thread.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:36 pm

Yeah no worries, I figured that might be the case. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Trine”