All those with Trine for PC who wish to use a PS3 controller

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
aphexLOX

All those with Trine for PC who wish to use a PS3 controller

Postby aphexLOX » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:06 pm

I am currently using my Dualshock 3 controller on my PC (windows XP x32) for my N64/GBA emulators and various other games, so the drivers on the site definitely work. I have Trine on PSN not for PC, so I haven't been able to test it but I don't see why you couldn't get it to work. Not only do the drivers support using the 16 button configuration, but they also support Rumble and Sixaxis use too! Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to ask!

BTW there are much more detailed instructions included in a Notepad file (there should be 2: 1 ENG & 1 JAP) with the zipped drivers on what to do if you're lost; the forum's instructions are pretty vague.

Website - "Unlike Microsoft, Sony never bothered to make PC drivers for their PlayStation 3 controllers; but some Japanese programmer has bridged that fjord for you. This Geocities page http://www.geocities.jp/tamamy_ikesu/devicedriver.html (wait, what?) has the download links, and this forum http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showth ... p?t=179397 has English instructions on how to get it working. It works in XP/Vista, and theoretically should work on Windows 7 as well, but who the F knows."

Regards.

Edit for clarity.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: All those with Trine for PC who wish to use a PS3 controller

Postby fb_joel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:09 pm

Thanks for posting. I'm sure this is helpful to some. :)

Edit: I should note that officially we do not recommend the use of any PS3->PC controller thingies and we don't take any responsibility for such. It's at the user's own expense if something goes wrong. I guess that's a no-brainer but I just wanted to point that out. I've heard something can go wrong on certain systems, although I'm not sure if it applies to this particular set of drivers etc, or if it was some other program.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:31 pm

I tried using my Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2 but it wasn't lining up the same with the PS3 controller controls in the game. It would be nice if there would be a picture of the PS3 controller in the game and a way for us to select parts of it and click those buttons on our controllers so we know what is what. There would be less manual configuration required and the pictures that come up while play would actually match up to what we want to do provided we are 1:1 mapping our controllers.

Right now, it seems almost easier to just open up Joy2Key and remap the keyboard/mouse controls to my gamepad because I know what those are rather than fumbling through the controller configuration and trying to figure out how the PS3 controller mappings would translate to your gamepad. Multiple mouse and keyboards pretty much solves this problem of controller usage for some people which is always nice.

aphexLOX

Postby aphexLOX » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:05 pm

Saturn2888 wrote:It would be nice if there would be a picture of the PS3 controller in the game and a way for us to select parts of it and click those buttons on our controllers so we know what is what. There would be less manual configuration required and the pictures that come up while play would actually match up to what we want to do provided we are 1:1 mapping our controllers.

I hope this helps (did it myself lol):

The Button Map numbers are according to my "Control Panel > Game Controllers > Properties" information. It might be listed differently if you're using a mapping configuration inside Trine, but it should be the same.

Edit: Forgot to mention the following:

LEFT THUMBSTICK = X AXIS (left-right movement) / Y AXIS (up-down movement)
RIGHT THIMBSTICK = Z AXIS (left-right movement) /Z ROTATION (up-down movement)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:18 pm

Nice image. :)

In the future we'll make gamepad setup easier, I know it's a bit uncomfortable to set it up sometimes. There's a Rumblepad 2 profile in another profile for those who are fine with editing the keybinds.txt file but of course that's not an ideal way for most.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Saturn2888

Postby Saturn2888 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:12 pm

I don't mind editing it. I'd prefer mouse/keyboard play, but some people aren't versed enough. Where is the profile? In another thread or in the game folder? If in the game folder I didn't find it.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:15 pm

That's a good point - I couldn't find it myself (I know there's a few but they're named something else). So I made a new thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2190
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Trine”