Cheap Tricks in Trine

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
polaris2013

Cheap Tricks in Trine

Postby polaris2013 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:42 am

First off I'd like to say this game was amazing; definitely my best purchase this year. So my intent is not to say that these are not necessarily problems, but they seem like awfully cheap ways of working around tricky puzzles, and they tend to be able to solve a vast majority of the challenges in the game because it seems the developers did not even bother trying to make these tricks not work for most of the game. My primary intent is to put the developer on notice in the event of any future Trine game(s) so they can at least be aware of them.

So without further ado, here are some cheap tricks you can do in Trine to bypass a lot of the tricky parts:

1) Place a wizard-created plank on top of a "disappearing" platform (the ones that drop under your feet when you step on them). For some reason, the platforms do not fall when you place a plank on them, and neither do they trigger when you jump on the plank on top of them. This makes the platform permanent, which can greatly simplify certain sections of the game.

2) Use wizard-created boxes to drag experience potions around. Just create the box near the potion, then drag the box toward you, and the potion comes along for the ride.

3) Thief can jump on top of what she is grappling, if she grappled near the edge of it. There are certain places where the game relies on this mechanic (eg. fall under a bridge and grapple back up to avoid death) but there seem to be many more places where it can be used to bypass an otherwise convoluted passageway.

4) If you notice a respawning monster, kill it and walk back and forth near where it spawned until no more monsters respawn. Actually this one isn't so much of a cheap trick as a flaw in the game design-- too many respawning monsters.

There are probably some more, but these are just to get the juices flowing. Using just these 4 tricks alone, I estimate you can solve about 80% of the game's content without regard for level design. Seems a bit too easy to me, but maybe this was intentional. Anyway, I usually tried doing it the "normal" way after I got about halfway through the game and started to realize I was missing out on a lot of the game by using these tricks before trying to solve puzzles any other way. Thanks for reading!

aphexLOX

Re: Cheap Tricks in Trine

Postby aphexLOX » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:08 pm

polaris2013 wrote:4) If you notice a respawning monster, kill it and walk back and forth near where it spawned until no more monsters respawn. Actually this one isn't so much of a cheap trick as a flaw in the game design-- too many respawning monsters.

I believe that the developers purposefully configured the spawning of monsters to be endless if your energy on any of your particular characters was at or below a specified percentage; given the purpose of allowing the player opportunities to gain energy potions and thus never hopelessly exhaust all of their energy. Maybe this was the case in your situation of seeing too many monsters?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:53 am

Thanks. I'll just quickly go through these. They're partially intentional and partially not...

1) This is a bug. Probably won't be fixed for the original but for any new Trine games it'll be fixed.

2) This really comes down to preference in my opinion - while it can be used to "cheat" a bit, it's not that much more easier than finding a "real" solution in most cases (and those cases could be solved by different level design if needed).

3) Not too sure about this, I guess level design could solve these issues.

4) Do you mean that no monsters will spawn if you're on top of the spawnpoint? Or simply that it's too easy to kill them when they always spawn on the same place? In any case we're aware of this... The spawning monsters in general are not one of the high points of the game.

And yeah if you're low on energy, then there's random monster spawns. It should stop once you have got enough energy. I think the question wasn't about these though. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

fize4ever

Postby fize4ever » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:36 pm

thanks (one stop closer to the platinum) :)

ChickenViking

Postby ChickenViking » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:09 pm

I have the PC version and the latest patch. I have noticed enemies respawning a lot, but they always stop coming after a little while?

As for cheap tricks, you have noticed enemies in hard to reach places shooting at you? No worries, just grab the wizard and make a plank or box above them. Let it drop, and voila! No more skeleton. :mrgreen:

And of course, you can stand on the edge of a cliff, plattform or something and wait for the skeletons to come to you. When they are clinging to edge and trying to climb up, wack them in the head. They can't do anything except fall down. If they survive the fall, they'll climb up again, only to get hit again. ;)

bearclaw

Postby bearclaw » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:01 am

Another nasty trick that I discovered:

You know you can't move an object with the wizard if you are stepping on it?

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/trin ... 1-53609008 mentions one way to achieve it, but there is an easier way: make a plank, step on it, jump and while in the air, click on the plank to make it levitate. You will still be able to move the plank around while you're on it when you fall back.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:08 pm

I'd like to also comment these from a Trine 2 perspective

1) Fixed to Trine 2, ie. not possible anymore

2) Trine 2 features two types of level experience: physics-simulated, and floating. Those which are physics-simulated can be manipulated with anything indirect (ie. boxes are ok, levitation is not), but floating experience needs to be collected at the spot. Needless to say, every experience is very carefully placed to ensure best experience ever.

3) The mechanic is supported more widely in Trine 2, ie. jumping from grappling hook has been made easier. Of course, with level design we have ensured this cannot be used as an exploit but just as a normal mechanic.

4) We have removed mana completely from Trine 2, which also has removed otherwise useless "endless" monster spawns, which as Joel stated, were used to give mana for player (all endless monsters dropped 100% mana and once collected the mana reached needed level, thus stopped spawning)

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:30 pm

I these things were intentional. It seemed to be part of the design.More like quirks to be enjoyed rather than bugs to be fixed.

One trick I've enjoyed is in the lava areas, putting a metal block in the lava and standing on it. Then using the wizard to push another metal block into the one I'm standing on. It makes a sort of powered raft across the lava.

Return to “Trine”