Thought about the sequel

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
ChickenViking

Thought about the sequel

Postby ChickenViking » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:19 pm

The sequel is confirmed, right? Or at least a spin-off is confirmed? So after playing the first one and loving it, I have a few thoughts about how to improve the next one.

1. More enemy types. It'not that I don't enjoy killing skeletons. I do. But only skeletons gets boring and repetitive after a while, even though they get better weapons and shields. Sure we have the occasional spider and bat, but they don't count.

2. Make changing characters difficult, but rewarding. Right now you can use the grappling hook as the thief to swing across a chasm, switch to the wizard in mid-air and land on a skeleton, switch to the knight and finish it off with your sword before it gets up. That's pretty cool, but makes me wonder why we have three characters. One character could do all that on his or her own. What if we had the sequel Lost Vikings-style where you had to guide all three characters through the level? Or if you could only pick one character in the beginning and had to play the entire game with him or her? What if you could only switch characters in certain places, like the check-points?

3. Make each character unique. I love the concept of Trine, but feel the characters aren't developed enough It's definitely not a bad game, but if the characters had more uses each, they could add a lot more depth to the game and make it much better.

aphexLOX

Re: Thought about the sequel

Postby aphexLOX » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:06 pm

ChickenViking wrote:2. Make changing characters difficult, but rewarding. Right now you can use the grappling hook as the thief to swing across a chasm, switch to the wizard in mid-air and land on a skeleton, switch to the knight and finish it off with your sword before it gets up. That's pretty cool, but makes me wonder why we have three characters. One character could do all that on his or her own. What if we had the sequel Lost Vikings-style where you had to guide all three characters through the level? Or if you could only pick one character in the beginning and had to play the entire game with him or her? What if you could only switch characters in certain places, like the check-points?

I COMPLETELY disagree; doing so would take away the key game-play style that makes Trine refreshing, nouveau, exciting and infinitely uniue each play through. What you are suggesting is to make a player traverse a level three separate times in three different ways forcing the player into a caste system of "how you're supposed to beat this" (which is NOT rewarding), instead of giving each player the opportunity to play the game however they choose promoting individuality! (which IS rewarding) If you want to play through each level with only one character, by all means do so! The game curently allows it, and you can play the game like your favorable "Lost-Vikings" style without changing a thing... That's my two cents.

ChickenViking

Postby ChickenViking » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:59 pm

I see your point. What I mean is right now we don't even need three characters. They are just a gimmick. A pretty cool one, but still. There's no reason why the knight can't fire a bow and use a grappling hook.

What I mean is we should of course keep that, but also give us the option to play with only one characters. The levels would be very similar to the story-levels, but modified to suit that character better. The thief and wizard will for instance not have so many enemies. The hunter levels will be very vertical, while the wizard level will focus on building stuff to get past obstacles and so on. I'm thinking having that as a bonus feature when you finish the game, perhaps.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:16 am

Some good food for thought here, thanks. I guess everyone, including us, agrees about the enemies. As a bonus mode I think point #2 is also a valid idea (in fact it's closer to the original concept idea of the game, which was much more oldschool). 8)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

fize4ever

Postby fize4ever » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:37 pm

ChickenViking wrote:
2. Make changing characters difficult, but rewarding. Right now you can use the grappling hook as the thief to swing across a chasm, switch to the wizard in mid-air and land on a skeleton, switch to the knight and finish it off with your sword before it gets up. That's pretty cool, but makes me wonder why we have three characters. One character could do all that on his or her own. What if we had the sequel Lost Vikings-style where you had to guide all three characters through the level? Or if you could only pick one character in the beginning and had to play the entire game with him or her? What if you could only switch characters in certain places, like the check-points?

really i like trine the way it is :cry:.
no but seriously i beated this game 3 times just for the kicks (and a small shiny platinum as a prize :mrgreen: ) and all i want in the sequel is a more in-depth in the game and espacilly the charcters whether they wil be new charcters or the same old hot zoya, either way i don't care just don't mess with my game :mrgreen:

Return to “Trine”