Trine US PSN patch?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
larrylarry

Trine US PSN patch?

Postby larrylarry » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:33 am

The issue with generic trophy icons and no background on the XMB has been fixed on the EU games. For the US version of the game, we still haven't receive a patch when EU has one a week after release. I am wondering will the US version ever get patched?

Thanks,
Larry

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Trine US PSN patch?

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:35 pm

At the moment we (still) don't know. :( We've done the patch but we're not the ones who can "apply" it. So it's up to the publisher and SCEA ultimately... We would very much like to get it released though, because it makes the last level easier among other things (and adds the Trophy images etc like you said). :?
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

fize4ever

Postby fize4ever » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:42 pm

ok i get the background but, seriously......no image for trophies :o

Erroneus

Postby Erroneus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:01 am

fb_joel wrote:At the moment we (still) don't know. :( We've done the patch but we're not the ones who can "apply" it. So it's up to the publisher and SCEA ultimately... We would very much like to get it released though, because it makes the last level easier among other things (and adds the Trophy images etc like you said). :?

*Gloves off*

I'm shocked by the lack of balls in that reply...

While it might not be you, who can push the button, so the patch will be delivered to US PSN, It is without a fucking doubt, YOUR responsibility it happens. You made this game and you are responsible for fixing the game. So would you please grow a pair and call or mail the right people, so this patch goes online.

I will find it hard to support your company and further games, if you don't get this fixed. Because if you can't get this fixed, it clearly shows your lack of professionalism and that you do not know how to handle problems like this. So would should we as an enduser support your company, if you are not willing to support us?

*Gloves on*

Thanks for your time.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:11 am

Joel explained our position in this situation and not understanding it but only insulting us results only to ban and/or deletion of post(s).

Erroneux

Postby Erroneux » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:45 pm

You got to be kidding me... :roll:

While my reply was rather harsh, I apologize if it has hurt your feelings somehow... :?

But the fact, that you do not reply or comment on the real problem, but simply just hands out a ban... I'm utter speechless.

Joel did explain your situation, but that's not good enough. You are pushing away your responsibility and leaving your customers who has payed for your product, in the dark :(

So again, I'm asking you to do something about it. Contact your publisher and Sony, so we can get some straight answers or at least an ETA.

flying_saucers

Postby flying_saucers » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:31 am

Erroneux wrote:You got to be kidding me... :roll:

While my reply was rather harsh, I apologize if it has hurt your feelings somehow... :?

But the fact, that you do not reply or comment on the real problem, but simply just hands out a ban... I'm utter speechless.

Joel did explain your situation, but that's not good enough. You are pushing away your responsibility and leaving your customers who has payed for your product, in the dark :(

So again, I'm asking you to do something about it. Contact your publisher and Sony, so we can get some straight answers or at least an ETA.

do you honestly think that a moderator on this forum who has nothing to do with designing or releasing the patch is going to take orders from an anonymous jerk swearing at him? you want more information, try asking nicely.

Harken

Postby Harken » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:05 am

You got to be kidding me... :roll:

So again, I'm asking you to do something about it. Contact your publisher and Sony, so we can get some straight answers or at least an ETA. QQ Baww T.T

You're right. He should have used his magic wand to make all the bad things in the world go away. Life isn't that simple, processes take time. If you go around badmouthing on somebody's forums, you're bound to get banned.

Erroneux

Postby Erroneux » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:33 pm

Harken wrote:You're right. He should have used his magic wand to make all the bad things in the world go away. Life isn't that simple, processes take time. If you go around badmouthing on somebody's forums, you're bound to get banned.

I understand there is a process. But Frozenbyte has a responsibility to get this fixed, so simply sitting down and pushing away their responsibility is a bit worrying as an enduser. Here is a two month old quote from Joel:

I still don't have any news on the release front though, which is a little bit worrying... I guess it's possible that it won't be released at all. We'd really want it to be released though so let's see what happens.

And since nothing has happened, so it really sounds like they have given up and are not even trying, due to lack of missing progress with this problem.
And again, I do apologize for my first comment, it was out of line and to hard. It happened due to do frustration :oops:

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:50 pm

As said, we've made the patch but we cannot push the button that releases it. That is Sony's responsibility. We do not have any contact to Sony related to the publishing process as that is all controlled by our PSN publisher. We also cannot start threatening our publisher or our contacts at Sony, because obviously that's not good business practice and could make life extremely difficult for us in the future. That would ultimately be a very bad thing for everyone who has so far enjoyed our games and looks forward to our future games. The whole thing is a little bit more complicated than this but the bottom line is that A) we would want the patch to be released, B) we have tried pretty much everything we can to make it happen given the limitations above. That said, we do have a new plan to get the patch released, and if it goes through then everyone will be extra happy. If it doesn't go through then I doubt there's anything else we could do about this. I do not know the timeframe for this yet though.

I should also remind you that the patch is not really a "must have" in the sense that the game would desperately need it. The game is just fine without the patch too - the patch just adds a few things that make the experience even better (and makes the last level easier, which would be very important from our point of view, because we got so many negative comments about it, and this is the main reason why we'd like to get the patch released).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Erroneux

Postby Erroneux » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Thanks for the update, that's pretty much what I wanted to hear, that you guys have not given up, excellent!

If your new plan doesn't work, let us know and maybe us customers can lay some pressure on SCEA.

Fahdi

Postby Fahdi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:22 am

fb_joel wrote:As said, we've made the patch but we cannot push the button that releases it. That is Sony's responsibility. We do not have any contact to Sony related to the publishing process as that is all controlled by our PSN publisher. We also cannot start threatening our publisher or our contacts at Sony, because obviously that's not good business practice and could make life extremely difficult for us in the future. That would ultimately be a very bad thing for everyone who has so far enjoyed our games and looks forward to our future games. The whole thing is a little bit more complicated than this but the bottom line is that A) we would want the patch to be released, B) we have tried pretty much everything we can to make it happen given the limitations above. That said, we do have a new plan to get the patch released, and if it goes through then everyone will be extra happy. If it doesn't go through then I doubt there's anything else we could do about this. I do not know the timeframe for this yet though.

I should also remind you that the patch is not really a "must have" in the sense that the game would desperately need it. The game is just fine without the patch too - the patch just adds a few things that make the experience even better (and makes the last level easier, which would be very important from our point of view, because we got so many negative comments about it, and this is the main reason why we'd like to get the patch released).

Wow, it's February 14, 2010 and the patch still isn't out even after the price has come down to 50% for valentine's broadening your market just a bit more, including me who bought the game. Sorry, but after reading this, I am 100% sure the patch isn't coming because A) You guys are more concerned about your publishing partner than the people who you sell to (the consumer)... but of course business first B) As much as I enjoyed playing the game, I have to say I am disappointed in you guys at least not pushing to have the patch released by SCEA (it seems the community will have to go through some petition now). And this "must have" patch means that others (such as the EU) are getting a far better experience than the US/Canada market and this is proof in your own saying that it makes the "experience even better". Negative comments about the last level or not, you guys made a superb game, but shafted your consumer in a minor way. Or until the patch arrives, hoping-ly.

Good luck in your future endeavors,
Fahdi

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:24 pm

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way but there's really nothing I can add to the earlier posts, except that it's not a must have patch (perhaps with the exclusion of the last level difficulty tweak, that's the change that we really really wanted to make). Other than that, it's just "nice to have". But like I said, this is definitely not the way we wanted this to go, I guess we can add this to the pile of problems we've had with the project... But we're trying to pull some strings to get a happy ending - we should know in 1-2 months whether or not our new plan goes through and if the patch is ever released...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Fahdi

Postby Fahdi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:18 am

fb_joel wrote:Well, I'm sorry you feel that way but there's really nothing I can add to the earlier posts, except that it's not a must have patch (perhaps with the exclusion of the last level difficulty tweak, that's the change that we really really wanted to make). Other than that, it's just "nice to have". But like I said, this is definitely not the way we wanted this to go, I guess we can add this to the pile of problems we've had with the project... But we're trying to pull some strings to get a happy ending - we should know in 1-2 months whether or not our new plan goes through and if the patch is ever released...

Joel I would rather have something "nice to have" when it is being provided to others as well. Yes yes, I know it's not your fault, but you should definitely consider this. There are tons of forums where I see 3 main complaints. A) XMB Background not implemented B) Trophy Images (god does it look bad with default ones) C) Last level difficulties in terms of the NA Market hence people think its rushed even though I think you guys did a good job. And now that the game is gaining steam, you will get more people complaining/praising soon for such a quality product. But it's good to know you're trying. Might I suggest putting the patch through your website and make it downloadable through USB key with the Publishers consent if PSN is not able to do so? I mean it is your IP, and you do have the right to modify it to better your market even if minor adjustments happen.

Sincerely,
Fahdi

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:10 pm

We actually look at most online comments about the game and are painfully aware of the issues and feedback, many of which the patch would indeed solve. We know that if the patch was released, the game would sell better, just by creating better word of mouth (comments) and also because we could do some marketing, like sending a press release and so on.

Regarding a manual patch, this is not possible unfortunately. While it would also be an interesting legal/business issue, it's ultimately prevented by a technical "problem". Sony (and all other console manufacturers) has designed the system so that we can't create a patch that would work with the official release version of the game on the retail PS3. I'm not sure if it's some kind of a digital signature or what, but in any case it's something that only Sony can do.

Anyhow, I have high hopes for our new plan, which is pretty cool... so we'll see what happens. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Fahdi

Postby Fahdi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:31 am

fb_joel wrote:We actually look at most online comments about the game and are painfully aware of the issues and feedback, many of which the patch would indeed solve. We know that if the patch was released, the game would sell better, just by creating better word of mouth (comments) and also because we could do some marketing, like sending a press release and so on.

Regarding a manual patch, this is not possible unfortunately. While it would also be an interesting legal/business issue, it's ultimately prevented by a technical "problem". Sony (and all other console manufacturers) has designed the system so that we can't create a patch that would work with the official release version of the game on the retail PS3. I'm not sure if it's some kind of a digital signature or what, but in any case it's something that only Sony can do.

Anyhow, I have high hopes for our new plan, which is pretty cool... so we'll see what happens. :)

All the best towards the plan Joel :). You guys are quality devs, keep it up.

I_LOVE_TRINE

Postby I_LOVE_TRINE » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:16 pm

This game is probably the best PSN game I've ever played (Only competition is Wipeout HD and Flower)...
I hope you guys make it EVEN better (if thats even possible) by releasing this patch...Hopefully, pretty soon :)

Erroneux

Postby Erroneux » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:39 pm

Any news on your new plan?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:39 pm

It's going forward... a little slower than we'd like but should still happen.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

damisaurio

Postby damisaurio » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:14 pm

Hello, first of all congratulations for making such a fun and wonderful game. Reminds me of a great DOS classic I loved, "Fury of the Furries" (which fortunately had no relation to today's furry sub-culture). Also, this is definitely the most beautiful looking game I have downloaded for the PlayStation, and absolutely worth every penny (unlike most DLC you can purchase there, especially when it comes to add-ons for disc based games).

Anyway, I just registered on this board to ask you how things are going with the patch for the US PS Network, I really wish you can make it happen. I know it's not a big deal to have generic looking trophy icons, but as I went through the game I kept checking my PS profile, because there it displays the custom trophy images you made. They are wonderful and fit the game's design perfectly, it would be just great if they showed up in the Trophies section of the XMB.

Thanks for your time,

Damian.

PS: I had no problems with the last level, but I can understand if some people find it a bit upsetting. Overall, quite an excellent game.

patrickmanx

Postby patrickmanx » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:13 am

Yeah, the game is excelent already, with the patch it will bocome perfect!

Erroneux

Postby Erroneux » Thu May 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Any news, or are you working on a 1.02 patch and hoping for it to be released? :)

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon May 31, 2010 4:16 pm

Should have news within a couple of weeks... Should be reasonably good news too. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Gekkoton

Postby Gekkoton » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:48 am

Awesome! I hope the patch comes out soon :D

Erroneux

Postby Erroneux » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:37 pm

Awesome news!

Would be perfect with a patch and some DLC for the summer :)

Return to “Trine”