A Request

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
T-Bottch

A Request

Postby T-Bottch » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:42 am

Let me start off by saying I, like everyone else who has played it, love Trine. I'm a huge fan of 2.5D games and Trine is a superb example not just of that style of game but of games in general. Really I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed this game.

I did think one thing was missing however and stone me if this has been suggested before or if its not even possible but I thought that after finishing the game for the first time how cool it would be to be able to, at the start of each level, choose one character to use for the entire level. You would probably need to make some changes to the health and energy system for it to work but it would force to you solve the puzzles perhaps differently than you did on your first playthrough. I think it would be cool to try and play through the entire game using only one character (and be a cool set of 3 trophies). Of course you wouldn't want to be able to do this until you've completed it at least once. Anyways, I'm sure you guys are busy working on other projects but it was just a thought.

Also I see trine is at a discount right now. Nice of you to discount it on my birthday like this. I think I will buy it as a present for my friend. Keep up the good work Frozenbyte!

FB_Lauri

Re: A Request

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:44 am

We thought this option a lot when we finalized the game, but eventually it was left out due the fact we didn't have time for the changes it had required.

However, at the moment I'd say with Wizard it's already possible to play thru the entire game. With Thief it might also be possible, but with Knight, definitely not :)

For any future additions I can't comment on anything, but only hint that something is coming :wink:

Rahabib

Postby Rahabib » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:48 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:We thought this option a lot when we finalized the game, but eventually it was left out due the fact we didn't have time for the changes it had required.

However, at the moment I'd say with Wizard it's already possible to play thru the entire game. With Thief it might also be possible, but with Knight, definitely not :)

For any future additions I can't comment on anything, but only hint that something is coming :wink:

I think for the next installment of trine that should be at least an option (for hard mode or something). That would be really fun and if you want to get all the hidden items, force you to play the maps several times to collect everything.

phar4oh

Postby phar4oh » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:15 am

T-Bottch wrote:Let me start off by saying I, like everyone else who has played it, love Trine. I'm a huge fan of 2.5D games and Trine is a superb example not just of that style of game but of games in general. Really I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed this game.

I did think one thing was missing however and stone me if this has been suggested before or if its not even possible but I thought that after finishing the game for the first time how cool it would be to be able to, at the start of each level, choose one character to use for the entire level. You would probably need to make some changes to the health and energy system for it to work but it would force to you solve the puzzles perhaps differently than you did on your first playthrough. I think it would be cool to try and play through the entire game using only one character (and be a cool set of 3 trophies). Of course you wouldn't want to be able to do this until you've completed it at least once. Anyways, I'm sure you guys are busy working on other projects but it was just a thought.

Also I see trine is at a discount right now. Nice of you to discount it on my birthday like this. I think I will buy it as a present for my friend. Keep up the good work Frozenbyte!

I wasn't thinking any of that when I finished the game. I'm not worried the game was relatively short, not at all. I would rather play different, intuitive and exciting levels than grind through monotonous copy&paste style levels. Actually, I appreciate replayability more than long long long... "OMG when will this finish" type of games. I think Trine is a bit short on replayability. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the difficulty settings is the amount of damage you take when you're hit. I would love for an "insane mode" where you face hordes and hordes of skeletons. Relentless hords of them. I LOVE killing skeletons. Or it would be nice to have an extremely difficult and smart type of enemy that will block ALL arrows with a steel sheild, and all attacks so you have to use a lot more strategy to kill them. Ie, it would block if you tried the usual "wait for it to attack, then try to counter it". Or throw a bolder at it for a stun or something. This type of monster would be great if you had to watch out for this thing while avoiding arrows etc etc. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE that you can use the environment to kill the enemies. I just found the monsters too easy. You can spam them with arrows, or if they have a shield, you walk up them blocking, then smash them with the sword. I think I'm the exception as I think I'm a gaming masochist that likes to really strategize how to pass an area. My favourite level was the very last one because of all the variables at play. You have a ghost creating boxes and traps to get in your way (insane mode should have that guy following you around for the whole game putting stuff randomly in your way), you have to get the experience potions, you have to avoid/kill skeletons, you have to race the lava, you have to navigate the platforms to reach the top etc etc... which is fantastic. It took me at least 10 tries to get all the experience potions and get to the top (difficulty on medium). As for the rest of the game, the only thing that slows you down is making sure you didn't miss the potions, and some of the trickier puzzles (which were also fantastic)

or hows this for an idea, what about a multiplayer option where some players can control the skeletons when they spawn? so they can attack, jump, block and change control to a different monster on screen etc to stop the Trine, trio, trifecter from triumph.

...i love bashing skeletons. Need more skeletons.

Return to “Trine”