Next Trine

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
Rahabib

Next Trine

Postby Rahabib » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:11 pm

I know there have been a few posts about this in the past, but I was playing again last night and thought of some cool ideas for the next installment in the Trine saga.

First, I would gladly pay $40+ for Trine 2 if it has the following:
1) Online multiplayer - this would be big!
2) The game would have to be at least 2x as long.
3) Mapping tools.

If not, then Trine should just move to episodic packs similar to what HL2 does each would be $15-$20 and simply introduce new game play styles and traps, weapons, and perhaps a better player inventory screen (I still dont get some of how to level up. I just clicked around).

couple of ideas for new weapons:
  • magical piercing arrows - thief. These can go through multiple enemies. Line em up!
  • ricochet arrows - thief. bounce arrows off walls.
  • flail - knight. The mouse can be held down and the flail can be whirled around at any angle (with physics). This would be helpful against those pesky bats!
  • lance - knight. When used in conjunction of the charge attack you can push a whole line of skeletons off a cliff.
  • time stopper - wizard. new game play element. stop all enemies and simply run past them. or you could just slow time down.
  • fireball - wizard. well you mentioned it a million times in the old one, I guess he should get them now. I would make them slow however so he is still more of a thinking man's character than an offensive power house. maybe hold down the mouse to make the fireball bigger but also drain energy faster.

new game play elements:
  • as listed above, stop or slow time.
  • low gravity areas (super high jump!)
  • magic restricted zones. No stacking magic boxes you will have to find another way up.
  • colored keys to open colored doors (old wizards and warriors fan - I still want to make a remake :P)

finally some ideas for mapping tools:
  • selection of restricted classes for certain maps.
  • use your own bink vids for opening sequences.
  • chain multiple maps for your own campaigns.
  • import items from other 3d apps and give them properties (i understand if this isnt in - I can work around it).
  • scale enemies and give properties (hp, attack damage etc.) This way I can make at least a large skeleton or bat to fight as a main enemy.
  • loot dropping abilities - so that if you beat a boss they can drop more than just energy or experience potions.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: Next Trine

Postby fb_joel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks for the thoughts - those are actually some really good ideas. We've thought of some of the same ones too, and even the first Trine was very close to having one or two off that list. So we'll see what happens. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

leox001

Postby leox001 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:10 am

Ohh Trine with user created content, that would be really interesting.

Online would be incredible.

Something I LOVED about the first Trine is that it is FREE from all the Microsoft Bull S***, control-wise talking.

Today my friends came over and we played with 3 controllers, all from different brands, Genius, Logitech and a crappy EuroCase PS2-USB converter.
It worked flawlessly after about 3 minutes configuring them, and you know what? I LOVE configuring my controller the way I want it to behave, and not having to deal with the Axis detection issues like in most games.

Frozenbyte, your dev team rocks, keep up the good work, and I'll gladly buy Trine's secuel.

Harken

Postby Harken » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:36 am

RELEVANT NECROPOST!
I would personally buy a downloadable content patch for Trine if all you added was some sort of online multiplayer, and some sort of map editor tool that didn't completely stink. The biggest, and possibly only flaw of Trine was that it was way too short, and some people just don't have any friends.

Gocha

Postby Gocha » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:32 am

Also my word: please, guys, support game to be easely translateable. :wink:

Game doesn't publish on languages as much as in the world there are about 250 countries

Thanks

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:32 pm

Gocha wrote:Also my word: please, guys, support game to be easely translateable. :wink:

Actually Trine is already easily translated to other languages. :) If there's any freelance translators we're always interested in talking about that too (but we can't pay any money unfortunately)... but in any case, all the language files are located in the data zip files, such as data3.fbz, which can be opened with e.g. WinRAR. Then there's a folder data\locale\en\ which contains all the English text that is used in the game, as .loc files which are just .txt files renamed. Simply translating those would make the game be displayed in the translated language. (But if someone's really interested, I suggest getting in touch with us, so we can send the "real" localization kit which is easier to translate than the .txt files.)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Wolfenschfung

Postby Wolfenschfung » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:07 pm

Hy, i'm new on this board. Trine is a very catching game. I seriously want to translate it in my native language, so any help will be apreciated. I have some experience with translations, and in max three weks, the job will be done, with the proper tools.

Return to “Trine”