First, I would gladly pay $40+ for Trine 2 if it has the following:
1) Online multiplayer - this would be big!
2) The game would have to be at least 2x as long.
3) Mapping tools.
If not, then Trine should just move to episodic packs similar to what HL2 does each would be $15-$20 and simply introduce new game play styles and traps, weapons, and perhaps a better player inventory screen (I still dont get some of how to level up. I just clicked around).
couple of ideas for new weapons:
- magical piercing arrows - thief. These can go through multiple enemies. Line em up!
- ricochet arrows - thief. bounce arrows off walls.
- flail - knight. The mouse can be held down and the flail can be whirled around at any angle (with physics). This would be helpful against those pesky bats!
- lance - knight. When used in conjunction of the charge attack you can push a whole line of skeletons off a cliff.
- time stopper - wizard. new game play element. stop all enemies and simply run past them. or you could just slow time down.
- fireball - wizard. well you mentioned it a million times in the old one, I guess he should get them now. I would make them slow however so he is still more of a thinking man's character than an offensive power house. maybe hold down the mouse to make the fireball bigger but also drain energy faster.
new game play elements:
- as listed above, stop or slow time.
- low gravity areas (super high jump!)
- magic restricted zones. No stacking magic boxes you will have to find another way up.
- colored keys to open colored doors (old wizards and warriors fan - I still want to make a remake )
finally some ideas for mapping tools:
- selection of restricted classes for certain maps.
- use your own bink vids for opening sequences.
- chain multiple maps for your own campaigns.
- import items from other 3d apps and give them properties (i understand if this isnt in - I can work around it).
- scale enemies and give properties (hp, attack damage etc.) This way I can make at least a large skeleton or bat to fight as a main enemy.
- loot dropping abilities - so that if you beat a boss they can drop more than just energy or experience potions.