Trine DLC out on PSN

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
User avatar
Erroneux
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:33 pm
Location: PSN
Contact:

Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby Erroneux » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:29 pm

DLC for Trine is out for the European PSN today:

Trine – New Level Pack ‘Path to New Dawn’ (£0.79/€0.99) Rating: PEGI 12

Very nice :)

Has not been released for US, hopefully we are getting it next week. Btw does this DLC include any new trophies?

bau
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby bau » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:49 pm

And also, is it region free?

I have a US version of Trine, can I use the EU DLC?

User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:44 pm

Yay, finally released! :P

There's no new Trophies unfortunately.

I think the EU DLC does not work with the US version, so it's better to wait for the US DLC. It's coming, I guess I can say that now. It should be out soon-ish, I was hoping for this week but that didn't happen so maybe next week.

I do hope you guys enjoy it, please let me know your thoughts. In the ideal world the DLC would've been free with the patch(es) but it was somewhat out of our hands, so I just hope that people feel it's worth it.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

SirDrago
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby SirDrago » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:22 pm

More info on the content?

User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:35 pm

Well, there's a short video of it at http://trine-thegame.com/site/index.php?page=videos (if you don't mind the FREE part, I guess we should remove that now that it's not really true...)

It's pretty much similar to the last level of the game (Tower of Sarek), so if you didn't like that, then you shouldn't get the DLC either. On the other hand, if you enjoyed the Tower of Sarek level, then the DLC is probably fun too.

I should say that our main goal with this whole thing was to get the patch released for the US version of the game (which happened last week, finally!). The DLC then just sort of "happened" this way and we felt it was a reasonable compromise all things considered. If anybody is truly disappointed with the DLC then let me know and I can offer a PayPal refund.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

User avatar
Erroneux
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:33 pm
Location: PSN
Contact:

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby Erroneux » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:39 pm

Will defiantly be getting this when out on US PSN and no DLC is not region-free :)

To bad about no new trophies, but still cool with some new content before Trine 2 is out.

SirDrago
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby SirDrago » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:38 pm

Is that DLC out for PC too? Because i have the PC and PS3 version lol so if the PC version is free i could just get it that way.

User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby fb_joel » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:45 pm

Yes the DLC is free on PC - it's included in the 1.07 patch. If you have it on Steam, then it's already updated and should have the level playable in the Select level menu (if you have completed the game). So yeah go with the PC version in that case. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

grazina
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:37 pm

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby grazina » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:07 pm

Well I just bought the new DLC and was expecting to download something other than the activation key. I thought it was fishy when it stated that version 1.02 was mandatory for the new DLC.
So basically patch 1.02 was the new level, someone just decided to charge us PSN users when the level was already in the hard-drive. I played it first on the pc and I must say that WE PS3 users have been treated like trash when it comes to Trine. I won't be buying Trine 2 because I'm quite sure that PSN users will receive the same treatment again.

P.S. - I'M GONNA SAY THIS AGAIN. THE NEW LEVEL CAME IN PATCH 1.02, SO I DON'T KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU CAN BLAME SONY FOR THIS. TO DELAY THE RELEASE OF A PATCH I CAN UNDERSTAND, BUT TO HAVE US DOWNLOAD THE LEVEL STATING THAT IT WAS IN REALITY A PATCH WITH SOME MINOR IMPROVEMENTS WAS VERY LAME ON YOUR PART. AND WHEN YOU TOLD ME THAT THIS PATCH WAS DIFFERENT FROM 1.07 ON THE PC YOU WERE RIGHT. PC VERSION GOT SOME IMPROVEMENTS AND A FREE LEVEL. WE GOT A LEVEL WE HAD TO PAY FOR AND ABSOLUTELY NO IMPROVEMENTS. I'M LEFT WONDERING IF THE PC VERSION IS REALLY WHERE YOU GET YOUR MONEY AND THE PS3 IS JUST FOR SOMETHING EXTRA.
I FEEL CHEAP AND USED BY YOU, NOT SONY, WHO YOU'LL UNDOUBTEDLY TRY TO BLAME.
AND PATCH 1.08 FOR PC IS COMING SOON? HOW ABOUT TAKING SOMETIME TO FIX THE PS3 VERSION ONCE AND FOR ALL.

User avatar
FB_Lauri
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby FB_Lauri » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:36 pm

So basicly you are mad about the delivery method?

Regarding the 0,99 eur cost, without it we could not made any patches nor DLC possible for PS3, so we felt it's the best compromise. We can't discuss all details in public, so you just have to trust our word.

As Joel has stated, contact him for a full refund if you feel so used.

Edit: to avoid unnecessary hatred, I'd like to ask everyone who feels that he/she has been cheated simply contact us for the refund and avoid unnecessary flame posts. We really can't explain more that our situation is complicated and we don't do things the hard way just for fun, but for a reason.

SirDrago
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby SirDrago » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:46 pm

I dont know any other dev who would offer to refund money for PSN content. I think thats worth saying thanks to you guys :).

grazina
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:37 pm

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby grazina » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:30 am

Hello Lauri.
I guess Joel took it personal cause the post on the original tread I created has been deleted. (Am I going to be banned?)
In response to your post, no I'm not mad about the delivery, I'm very mad because I was lied to. Joel told me that "The patch itself includes a couple of minor tweaks, but indeed nothing immediately obvious. ". Why not simply state that this patch is a preparation for the new level. And please don't take this the wrong way, but just trust you? Take your word for it? Without any disrespect, do you have any idea of frustrating it is to have bought a game and constantly see the developer postpone enhancements that the game really needs, blaming the difficulty of it on someone else, and then see that for the PC you're going on version 1.08. You even took the time to add support for 3D on the PC, but for the PS3, levels like Iron Forge skip frames like a madman.
And the reason if feel used is because instead of downloading the torrent and playing it on my computer for free, i decided to support the game and bought it for my console. You realize that were only having this discussion because I bought the game in a legitimate manner. As for the refund, let me put it this way: You have the best game on PSN, so what I want is for you to act accordingly and provide the best support possible. The enhancements the game needs could have been added to patch 1.02.
And might I suggest that you create a PS3 field in the Patches section so we know what was added and when.
Are we PS3 users so few that only the PC guests recognition?

bau
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby bau » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:30 am

I don't understand.
I can't see what's wrong with this DLC.
You're saying you have been cheated, etc...why?
0,99 cents isn't a big price for a new level even if it comes with a patch.
I think FrozenByte had their own problems (also with Sony) with publication of Trine, but we have it!
I just want to say THANK YOU to the guys of FrozenBytes for this amazing game, and I can't wait to play Trine 2.

ps: They also offer to refund money, this reminds me diy scene :)

User avatar
Erroneux
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:33 pm
Location: PSN
Contact:

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby Erroneux » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:00 am

I believe devs on PSN has to pay for the traffic used, when people are downloading demo's, dlc and so on. So the €0.99 simply might be to cover these costs and while it might not be totally fair the pc version gets this DLC free and we PS3 users don't, I can't get upset when the price is so low.

Also it's quite normal procedures to include DLC in patches, lots and looooots of games does, so relax dude.

cloud66
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:11 am

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby cloud66 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:05 am

wow, thanks guys, can't wait to play this new level!
btw, do you think the DLC downloaded from the UK psn store will work on the game downloaded from the Italian psn store?

another thing I would love to see is a Trine theme for the PS3!

cloud66
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:11 am

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby cloud66 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:28 am

never mind, I tried it and it did work. the new level is cool! I was expecting the commentary on the level loading screen though, but there was not. so, how does this level relate with the story?

krioto
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:53 am

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby krioto » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi - I downloaded the new level last night and enjoyed it. For £0.79, I doubt that covers much of your cost from Sony to put it up there, so I have no complaints.

Loved this game, and a really nice platinum trophy which felt like an achievement following the Tower of Sarek level on VH.

Please keep up the great work, and I'm looking forward to Trine 2.

I thing though, since I installed the patch last night, the games says I have 0 secrets for every level, even though I know I had completed everything. Is anyone else having this issue?

User avatar
FB_Lauri
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:51 pm

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:13 pm

grazina wrote:Hello Lauri.
I guess Joel took it personal cause the post on the original tread I created has been deleted. (Am I going to be banned?)
In response to your post, no I'm not mad about the delivery, I'm very mad because I was lied to. Joel told me that "The patch itself includes a couple of minor tweaks, but indeed nothing immediately obvious. ". Why not simply state that this patch is a preparation for the new level. And please don't take this the wrong way, but just trust you? Take your word for it? Without any disrespect, do you have any idea of frustrating it is to have bought a game and constantly see the developer postpone enhancements that the game really needs, blaming the difficulty of it on someone else, and then see that for the PC you're going on version 1.08. You even took the time to add support for 3D on the PC, but for the PS3, levels like Iron Forge skip frames like a madman.
And the reason if feel used is because instead of downloading the torrent and playing it on my computer for free, i decided to support the game and bought it for my console. You realize that were only having this discussion because I bought the game in a legitimate manner. As for the refund, let me put it this way: You have the best game on PSN, so what I want is for you to act accordingly and provide the best support possible. The enhancements the game needs could have been added to patch 1.02.
And might I suggest that you create a PS3 field in the Patches section so we know what was added and when.
Are we PS3 users so few that only the PC guests recognition?


You coypaste-posted the exactly same post to other thread which I deleted so I could keep the discussion here.

The fact that the DLC materials came with the patch and is unlocked with a keycode was suggested by Sony, and Joel propably just forgot the exact mechanics behind the scenes, as for us it really doesn't make any difference. I'm sorry if you feel cheated, but I can assure you that in no way it's been Joel's intention to lie to anyone.

The way things went had nothing to do with the release schedule of the patch, in fact without priced DLC we could not get any patches for PSN. Also, even the version numbers are 1.01 and 1.02 on PSN they include every fix PC has also. PC just has been patched in a lot smaller fragments as it's a lot more straightforward process there.

Nevertheless, I admit this has been a hell of a mess and I sincerely hope (and also believe) that we can do better job with Trine 2.

User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:42 pm

cloud66 wrote:never mind, I tried it and it did work. the new level is cool! I was expecting the commentary on the level loading screen though, but there was not. so, how does this level relate with the story?

Ah, good to hear the UK/Italian stuff worked ok. :) The level doesn't really relate to the story that much - there's a little bit of meaning at the end when the characters get to "light" but it's more related to our development troubles etc, not to the game itself. :)

krioto wrote:I thing though, since I installed the patch last night, the games says I have 0 secrets for every level, even though I know I had completed everything. Is anyone else having this issue?

Unfortunately this is related to the issue in this thread. Had you completed the game before the update? Just wondering if it's the same problems as the others are having, or slightly different. We're still "working on it" but it's looking like there's not much we can do about it at this point, other than offer guidance and refunds.

Now, as for the DLC complaints, I guess Lauri has said pretty much everything. I did know that the patch included the level and that's how Sony prefers things, but I cannot go and announce things like this without prior approval from the publisher/Sony. I have to choose my words carefully sometimes and I realize that it can feel annoying, but that is the downside of being active in the community and trying to answer all questions etc.

The fact is that supporting the PC version(s) is a hell of a lot easier than supporting the console versions - on PC we have 100% control over everything (more or less, there are exceptions of course, such as retail distributors who use copy-protection which is a annoying on the developer side too, and Steam and other distributors add their own time to patch releases but it's usually just a day or two). On consoles there's a publisher and the console manufacturer, and the only way to distribute e.g. patches is through the console's own channel, and the console manufacturers have their own rules and ideas about how things should work. If we could just release stuff on our website and say "put this to your USB stick, plug it in your console and apply the patch" then it would be much easier to do smaller updates and whatnot, but at that point you also have to remember that the console manufacturers have a reason for rules etc - there's a certain amount of added security (e.g. "things work") when the console manufacturer controls the channel. (But of course, it's still not bulletproof, as our PS3 savegame issue proves.)

I hope this helps a bit. If you feel cheated by the DLC, let me know and we'll sort it out.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

User avatar
Mr. ShadowStealer
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:12 pm
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:32 pm

grazina wrote:...Why not simply state that this patch is a preparation for the new level...


Just felt like saying this but earlier the plan was the other way around. The new level was created JUST TO GET THE PATCH OUT ON PSN. Thus Frozenbyte created the level. Otherwise they couldn't have released the patch.

Thus the level was kind of last way to get the patch out and apparently they also had to charge at the patch so they could turn it into a DLC and fix some issues.

Also, if you look at the Just Cause 2 -game's DLC they are ridiculous compared to the Trine's one. They are like "Monster truck DLC. Pay 2€ for a monster truck car." "Hovercraft DLC. Pay 2€ for a hovercraft." "Explosive pack DLC. Get some rocket launchers and grenade launchers in your game, just only 2€."

So I wouldn't complain really. PLUS you never were FORCED TO BUY THE DLC, now were you?
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

grazina
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:37 pm

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby grazina » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:56 am

I could tell you I was forced to buy the new level because this game is so damn good and no way I wouldn't play some more new stuff. The problem is that this "new patch" didn't fix anything. ANYTHING AT ALL. That's probably my biggest reason for being upset. Even the music form the ending/credits playing in the menu after completing the game is still here, and like Joel said, they have to deal with Sony when releasing new patches. And .99 cents is really nothing and I would never want a refund. The problem, like stated many times before is this: if a patch takes so much time and effort to release on the PSN, make sure it counts. What happened this time was simply the new level being downloaded before the serial key for us to buy was available. When I bought the DLC for Burnout the key I purchased was only 100kb, like the one for Trine. When I started the game I downloaded the new stuff. With Trine 1.02 nothing happened because I already had the level in my console, like two weeks before. I'm not sure I'm making myself clear here. I feel/felt cheated because I bought the activation for something that was already on my hard-drive. Paying for it was not the question. I did purchased it before knowing and my immediate thought was "I hope this also brings a new patch (1.03) cause 1.02 didn't improve anything". Surprise, surprise, no improvements and no download because I already had the new level installed.
So I ask that if you plan on releasing a new patch in the future to really take the time to improve the bugs the ps3 has. On the PC you might have numerous configurations, like video cards, cpu's, operating systems, etc... but there aren't that many PS3 models available, so it should be much easier to improve the game. Playing Iron Forge on the Ps3 makes me want to cry and I refuse to believe the PS3 can't do without the frame skipping when other games that are much more visual demanding do fine.
So once more I ask that you put aside some time to really take care once and for all of the PS3 issues.
And by the way, I do not know if Trine could support 3D on the ps3 since some levels are already that demading, but if you've done the groundwork for 3D Nvidia cards and Sony is obsessed with selling 3D at any cost to us consumers can you imagine if you say that you'll have a patch with 3D capability for them, they will refuse? I'm betting even the USA will see the patch in no time.

Morticus
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby Morticus » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:02 am

I downloaded and played the new level yesterday! I was extremely impressed, it was great to get back into Trine. :D
It was maybe a tad short, but thats the only thing I can be picky about!
I had no issues with the price either, especially compared to all the other games such as modnation and littlebigplanet that release excessive amounts of DLC that cost more and do less that this. I really can't see why there are people whinging about it.

User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby fb_joel » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:06 am

grazina wrote:The problem is that this "new patch" didn't fix anything. ANYTHING AT ALL.

Are you in the EU or US? Because for EU it did not fix much - we had already had one patch released there. However, the US version got a lot of important fixes, mainly the Trophy icons (they only had the generic bronze, silver and gold Trophy icons before, now they have the proper art icons), and especially the last level difficulty fix. These two were the biggest issues for US players and they have now been fixed. There were a couple of very minor things fixed for the EU version too but they are not something the average player will see (just a couple of tiny bugs).

If you want to check, here's our PC changelog and here's how it corresponds to the PSN patches:

Trine release version EU & US: 1.00
EU 1.01 fixes: up to PC 1.05
EU 1.02 fixes: up to PC 1.07
US 1.01 fixes: up to PC 1.07

Most of these fixes were related to the PC version but some apply to the PSN versions too.

There's not that many bugs in the PSN versions (or wasn't, now there's the annoying Restart level secrets bug that's pretty serious). And unfortunately we don't have any easy solutions to the framerate issues, so we haven't been able to fix that. We probably would've needed to rewrite many parts of the game engine and that's just not been possible (we're doing that for Trine 2). Just make sure you've unplugged e.g. PS Eye and other USB peripherals if you're using the old fat PS3 models though, those are known to cause some problems (no idea why), and avoid the Thief's arrows and the Knight's hammer if it start getting unplayable.

3D Trine will not be possible on consoles unfortunately, because the game already takes all the processing power available. It basically requires 2x power, so even on PC it's limited to a rather special group of people who have powerful computers and the hardware to run it.

I think I can sort of understand your point of patch vs DLC content distribution, but we don't really want to add "extra" empty megabytes to the DLC either, so in this case there was no other way. It's a little complicated on the technical side and even I don't understand it all. In the future we'll probably try to make it work in some better way...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

User avatar
zeeZ
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby zeeZ » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:11 am

Instead of getting a refund, how can I send you an extra dollar? :lol:
\tpun
(pun indented)

User avatar
fb_joel
Site Admin
Posts: 2482
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:14 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Trine DLC out on PSN

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Haha, just buy an extra copy on Steam or start saving for Trine 2 pre-order, that's the easiest way. 8)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team


Return to “Trine”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests