Upcoming Linux version

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
thenewguy

Upcoming Linux version

Postby thenewguy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:03 pm

I bought a copy of Trine (for Windows) a while back and tried to get it running on my Linux machine via Wine. I didn't have much (read any) success, so I'm thrilled that there's a Linux port of Trine in progress. Thank you!

My question is: Will I be able to get the Linux version of Trine working without purchasing another copy? Ideally I'd like to be able to use my existing Trine disc with a Linux binary, similar to the way Neverwinter Nights works. Or will I need to purchase a second copy, native to Linux?

FB_Lauri

Re: Upcoming Linux version

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Not directly, but I think you will find our solution very satisfactory once the Linux version comes out ;)

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:01 am

You're going to keep me in suspense, aren't you? That's okay, I'm sure it'll be a good solution.

freez

Postby freez » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:11 pm

Will this solution (of some kind of price reduction for the linux version) also apply to people who bought a copy of the game on steam ?

freez

Postby freez » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:27 pm

Additionally, will there be linux and/or mac versions of trine2 available at launch time (or at all?) ?

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:14 pm

The solution should be satisfying for both new and old players :). However, I suggest to check here regularly or sign up for our twitter or facebook groups to get noted among the first.

Links:
http://twitter.com/frozenbyte
http://www.facebook.com/frozenbyte
http://www.facebook.com/trinegame
http://www.facebook.com/trine2game

Trine 2 Mac and Linux versions should come out "shortly" after Windows version.

Matthieu

Postby Matthieu » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:58 am

As of running Trine on Linux via wine you can check it on Wine AppDB. It has Gold status wihich means it's working with dll overrides (not on clean wine installation).

Use winetricks to install physx wmp10 and d3dx9_36.dll.

Those are that overrides. Winetricks is a script (both CLI and GUI) that automates process of installation.

Trine in Wine AppDB

Trine Full Version

Trine Steam

But as soon as there will be Linux version all of this become rubbish.

mas123

Postby mas123 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:12 pm

thenewguy wrote:My question is: Will I be able to get the Linux version of Trine working without purchasing another copy? Ideally I'd like to be able to use my existing Trine disc with a Linux binary, similar to the way Neverwinter Nights works. Or will I need to purchase a second copy, native to Linux?

Neverwinter Nights is unofficial Linux version, installation is very complicated and that is why I hate this game.
I buyed Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Devastation, Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, Serious Sam: The First Encounter and Serious Sam 2 for Windows etc. and Linux installers are unfinished (beta). This is a waste of time and money.

@FB_Lauri

I want to buy box version of Trine and Trine 2 for Linux. Please.
Can you do it? Of course, I have got box version of Shadowgorunds and Shadowgrounds Survivor for Linux:)

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:34 pm

The official Linux version of NWN has been up on the company's site for years. Installation is as simple as downloading the package and unpacking it, what's at all complicated about that? It can be done with or without the Windows resource files. I will be thrilled if transitioning from the Windows version of Trine to a Linux box is as straight forward.

snowder

Postby snowder » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Will this surprise have something to do with an unnamed well known company ?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:41 pm

I think we have to keep our mouth shut until it's official. :)

mas123 wrote:I want to buy box version of Trine and Trine 2 for Linux. Please.
Can you do it? Of course, I have got box version of Shadowgorunds and Shadowgrounds Survivor for Linux:)

We have to see how this goes. The current plan is for digital only but perhaps a collection box Trine 1 + Trine 2 would be possible (for Linux at least, not sure about other platforms). But I can't promise it at the moment, retail is diminishing and digital is taking over, so we might not find a publisher for the retail box, and instead would have to do it on our own and sell via mail-order or something...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Please excuse me if I sound impatient, but I noticed there haven't been any updates concerning the Linux port for around a month. Could someone on the inside bring us up to speed as to how development is progressing?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:04 pm

It's in the final stages. :) In other words, I hope you don't have to wait another month...
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

RussianNeuroMancer

Postby RussianNeuroMancer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:20 am

What about Russian localization by Russobit-M? Can you add it to Linux version?

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:44 pm

Unfortunately at the moment no. :( It might not be a totally lost cause but right now I can't promise it.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

oli

Postby oli » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:45 pm

fb_joel wrote:Unfortunately at the moment no. :( It might not be a totally lost cause but right now I can't promise it.

Joel, what's the "lost cause" comment regarding? There's still going to be a Linux version, right?

:|

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:50 pm

The maybe not lost cause refers to Russian language included in the Linux package. So Linux version of Trine is still on it's way .. and hopefully not a long wait from now! :D

oli

Postby oli » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:56 pm

FB_Lauri wrote:The maybe not lost cause refers to Russian language included in the Linux package. So Linux version of Trine is still on it's way .. and hopefully not a long wait from now! :D

Yey! Thank you for the clarification!

titi

Postby titi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:16 pm

So, any news about the linux version? We really waited a long time now :(

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Sorry for the long wait, but it's not very long anymore... so hang in there for a little while longer. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

titi

Postby titi » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:41 am

Why is it delayed so much compared to the windows version ( and your former games too )? Is it just because it takes time/affort to port it to linux ( and has not a really high priority ), or is there something else which is stopping you from releasing the linux version more early ?

Neolander

Postby Neolander » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:38 am

Maybe they use a lot of D3D-specific stuff in Trine's engine and have to rewrite that in OpenGL for it to work on Linux...

It's a very common problem with porting games, Microsoft have been quite clever when they decided to bring some Windows-specific competition to OpenGL...

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:45 pm

There's quite many reasons and we are sorry that the wait has been this long. I suggest you to check back within a week ... 8)

TmpNickName

Postby TmpNickName » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi, potential new player here. Linux version getting closer? That's great. Will there be a demo version? If not, I'm going to have a problem...

Neolander wrote:Maybe they use a lot of D3D-specific stuff in Trine's engine and have to rewrite that in OpenGL for it to work on Linux...

They already have a Mac version so there shouldn't be much problem. Unless they used Cider or Winelib for that...

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Yep it's close. There will be a demo at some point but I'm not sure about launch, we'll have to see if we have time for that. So let's see how it goes, not a long time to go anymore. :)

And yeah it's an OpenGL renderer, it's originating from the PS3 version and then Mac and now Linux.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Trine”