Upcoming Linux version

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
TmpNickName

Re: Upcoming Linux version

Postby TmpNickName » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:05 pm

fb_joel wrote:Yep it's close. There will be a demo at some point but I'm not sure about launch, we'll have to see if we have time for that.

Ok then! I'll be waiting for the demo. Since I don't have a Windows box anywhere nearby and I want to be sure it runs on my hw+distro, that's all I can do for now.

Cheers.

Hennes

Postby Hennes » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:16 pm

Still waiting for the linux version of Trine.

Come on guy´s. Our money is as good as the money from the other.

April the 30th is my personal deadline for buying your game.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:28 pm

It's getting closer .. 8)

oli

Postby oli » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:56 pm

Argl. Every time I get an email notification from this thread my heart skips a beat, thinking that the message will tell me I can finally stop working and start rocking out on a native copy of Trine.

FB_Lauri

Postby FB_Lauri » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Heh, our top secret plans have revealed a bit too early so why not sharing this with you also: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/humb ... -you-want/

So Trine Linux version, among all other goodies, is available around 5:30 pm GMT today 8)

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:08 pm

I purchased my copy today. Thanks Frozenbyte!

oli

Thank you.

Postby oli » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:18 am

Well I thank you. I already owned Trine for Windows (through Steam, through Wine) and the first ShadowGrounds for Linux and I still punted you $40 for doing a great job. Keep it up for Trine 2 and your other titles :)

You can probably close this thread now as it's been resolved.

Matthieu

Postby Matthieu » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:55 am

The solution for buying a Linux version of Trine is indeed very satisfactory just as you stated in the second post of this thread.

I bought my copy yesterday but I'm curious how one would buy Trine when the HFB ends. The only way probably will be Desura when the Linux client comes out.

Tak

Postby Tak » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:02 am

I just purchased the awesome Frozenbyte linux bundle, and I wanted to thank you for releasing a Linux port.

Everything works for me out of the box (debian/sid, amd64, gtx280).

Out of curiosity, how are you planning to manage updates and patches for your linux and mac users?

Hennes

Postby Hennes » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:26 am

Thanks Frozenbyte.

Perfect...really perfect.

I can only say: SORRY.... for my post a few days before.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:14 am

Updates for Linux/Mac, we'll have to see. Linux will probably be easier (one way or another, can just replace files if all else fails), for Mac we need to come up with some kind of a suitable solution.

Also the Linux version will be available for purchase after the bundle, although probably not right after (we haven't had the time to figure out how/where exactly to do that, but Ubuntu Software Center is one good choice and I'm sure we'll find other avenues too).

Thanks for your support guys! :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

TmpNickName

Postby TmpNickName » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:02 pm

fb_joel wrote:Also the Linux version will be available for purchase after the bundle, although probably not right after (we haven't had the time to figure out how/where exactly to do that, but Ubuntu Software Center is one good choice and I'm sure we'll find other avenues too).

Hmm? I don't understand. Money changes hands, user downloads a .run file that uses MojoSetup, just like every other game out there. Done.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:40 am

Well it may be me who doesn't understand. :) What I meant is that we are currently too busy to look for any distribution methods outside of the bundle, so once the bundle ends and things calm down, then we'll see how to make the game available to the Linux audience through regular sales channels.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

krayon

Postby krayon » Tue May 03, 2011 5:47 pm

Well, I just finished playing Trine on Linux after buyng it in the Humble Bundle (HB) and all I can say is WOW! Amazing game. I'll see about increasing my payment even though the bundle is now finished as I only paid $40 and Trine was easily worth that on it's own.

I want to recommend the game to others but I see there's no Linux version available for purchase on the site yet, and not even a demo. I will therefore wait until it becomes available to buy, or at least a demo. You could always sell through TuxGames if you're stuck for someone to collect the money etc. I recommend not ONLY using Ubuntu software store or whatever, at least always distributing a script installer (like in the HB).

As soon as Trine 2 comes out for Linux, I'll be buying at LEAST one copy, that's for sure. Thanks for all the fun! Top game.
Preferred OS: Linux
Preferred Distro: Arch
Preferred Language: c

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu May 05, 2011 3:40 pm

Yeah we will want to have multiple ways of buying the game for Linux - not just the Ubuntu Software Center. Perhaps we'll look into our own distribution as well, in addition to the other channels mentioned here.

I'm estimating 2-4 weeks before this happens, things are so busy right now in the aftermath of the bundle.

And thanks for the feedback (and if you "only" paid $40, that's plenty! Thanks a lot. :) ).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

seaman

Postby seaman » Wed May 11, 2011 8:46 pm

Thank you, for this fabulous game. With the 3rd update of Trine for Linux the game runs better and more fluent on my notebook with Ubuntu 10.10 64bit.

I hope there will be a demo of Trine 2 for Linux. I'm not sure, because of my hardware (Core2Duo 2GHz, 4GB RAM and nVidia 8400MGS).

Thank you very much for supporting Linux.

JeanAHough

Postby JeanAHough » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:48 pm

Matthieu wrote:As of running Trine on Linux via wine you can check it on Wine AppDB. It has Gold status wihich means it's working with dll overrides (not on clean wine installation).

Use winetricks to install physx wmp10 and d3dx9_36.dll.

Those are that overrides. Winetricks is a script (both CLI and GUI) that automates process of installation.

Trine in Wine AppDB

Trine Full Version

Trine Steam

But as soon as there will be Linux version all of this become rubbish.

Hi mathew,

http://www.d3dx9.net/download-missing-d3dx9_36-dll/
You can get the d3dx9_36.dll file from the above link.
this is the source which is best for solving this sort of dll related issues.
Click the Link on this page and it will fix your problem.

Return to “Trine”