Recording Trine to a CD

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
AnnularVoid

Recording Trine to a CD

Postby AnnularVoid » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:55 pm

I have purchased a Trine download, v.1.03, and patched it to 1.08. The setup file is named TrinePC_Online.exe. There's nothing "online" about it, of course, other than the fact that it was purchased online. The problem is that it doesn't have a Trine icon in it, just your regular setup icon. I would like to put the files on a CD and add a Trine icon, one that looks similar to that which the desktop shortcut to the game has. I do not wish to just copy over the game or the launcher executable. All I want is the icon. I know that there are icon extractors out there, but is there a more... shall we say... legal (as in FB-approved) way to do this?

I would also like to have an image to burn to the disk's LightScribe surface. Any suggestions would be welcome. Again, I am looking for ways to not use any copyrighted material the way it was not intended to be used, otherwise it'd be only too easy.

The last issue is actually a bit more technical. Does anyone have any idea how to make the game run 85Hz refresh rather than the default (60Hz)? I'm using a CRT monitor, and anything below 72Hz gives me eyestrain and a headache. I'm not looking to change the frame rate or to increase FPS.

Any help would be appreciated.

FB_Lauri

Re: Recording Trine to a CD

Postby FB_Lauri » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:50 pm

I'd guess you get Trine icon by installing the game and taking the icon from the game executable at least. We can also look for the original file when we are back at the office :)

AnnularVoid

Postby AnnularVoid » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:45 pm

That'd be very nice, thanks!
Vista 64-bit

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:28 pm

After almost giving up, I suddenly found the .ico file. :) So here we go:
http://trine-thegame.com/help/trine64.ico

What kind of image are you looking for? Here's two images that you can use:

http://trine-thegame.com/temp_art/ThiefStoryScene2.jpg
http://trine-thegame.com/temp_art/Trine_heroes.png

Regarding the refresh rate, here's something our programmer said a while ago:

It's possible to override the refresh rate manually. For that, you need to open trine/config/options.txt and add

refresh_rate_override = 50

to "Display" section of it (and replace the 50 with wanted refresh rate). Save the file and make it read-only. This should force Trine to launch on that forced refresh rate.

I hope these help.
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

AnnularVoid

Postby AnnularVoid » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:51 am

Wow. Just... wow. Thank you soooooo much!

The icon is exactly what I wanted.

The images, I was looking for something that I can burn to a CD using LightScribe, hopefully with name of the game (you know, like silk-screening a disk, only it's all black'n'white, or, rather, black and whatever the color the disk is), but now I even have stuff to put into the sleeve. Fantastic!

As for the refresh rate tip, it's a life saver for me and I hope you can make it a little easier to find. Put it in an FAQ tips section or something. It works great and I can now use full screen option with 85Hz. I'm glad this option is available at all, since many today's games totally take it away.

Once again, thanks a million!
Vista 64-bit

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:37 pm

Good to hear. :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Return to “Trine”