Don't have an extra keyboard - any trick ?

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
Neolander

Don't have an extra keyboard - any trick ?

Postby Neolander » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Hello everyone !

My brother bought me a copy of Trine for Christmas, and first congratulations for the great job you've done on this game as a whole. Funny background, excellent gameplay, gorgeous graphics (especially considering the hardware I make it run on)... Nothing to argue about solo mode.

Now, I would like to try co-op. The problem is, I have several mices, but a single keyboard. All others keyboard I had around have died in the last few years. I don't have a gamepad or a video game console either.

So do you know of a way I could...
-Split the keyboard between two players, like with good old arcade games from the 90s ?
-Use a laptop as an external keyboard ?

I have some ideas for the second way of doing things, but I would first like to know if you have an "official" solution which would work right away instead of fighting with home-made hacks.

Thanks in advance !

thenewguy

Re: Don't have an extra keyboard - any trick ?

Postby thenewguy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:49 pm

I think you're going to be stuck buying a controller. Or, if your laptop can play Trine, install the game on the laptop and plug your keyboard into the laptop.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:05 pm

Yeah this could prove to be tough... The biggest problem is the fact that modern keyboards only register a few button presses at a time. The logic circuit boards or something are so cheap... If you'd plug in an old keyboard, you might be able to play Trine co-op on the same keyboard, at least considering the movement of the characters.

But yeah the problem is the game won't let you add another player if you don't have a second controller/keyboard connected. I couldn't find a way to bypass this. :(
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Mr. ShadowStealer

Postby Mr. ShadowStealer » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Yeah. I remember the time when I used to play GTA2, Liero and other that kind of games with my friends on the same keyboard and there could have been even 4 persons on the same keyboard and the keyboard would still have worked fine. Nowadays when you try to have even 2 players using the same keyboard for same game it's pain because of all those unregistered button presses.
Not all of you have äää's and ööö's :P

Neolander

Postby Neolander » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:39 am

Mr. ShadowStealer wrote:Yeah. I remember the time when I used to play GTA2, Liero and other that kind of games with my friends on the same keyboard and there could have been even 4 persons on the same keyboard and the keyboard would still have worked fine. Nowadays when you try to have even 2 players using the same keyboard for same game it's pain because of all those unregistered button presses.

Heh, I still can smoothly play co-op Metal Slug with a friend in Kawaks, so I assume that it depends on button usage :)

But I do have noticed that newer keyboards are less good than older ones at multiple key presses on occasion. Probably because most modern multi games are online-only nowadays... :roll:

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:43 pm

Yeah it depends on the amount of simultaneous buttons pressed (and maybe even where they are located, if they're far apart I guess that could be better).

There's a fantastic Mechanical keyboard guide over at Overclock.net and it explains all this (I didn't quite read it all though).
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

Neolander

Postby Neolander » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:26 am

fb_joel wrote:Yeah it depends on the amount of simultaneous buttons pressed (and maybe even where they are located, if they're far apart I guess that could be better).

There's a fantastic Mechanical keyboard guide over at Overclock.net and it explains all this (I didn't quite read it all though).

Heh... I know someone who'd want one of these mechanical keyboards. Myself, I've gone fully laptop, so I don't really have a choice (and even if I had one, it seems like keyboards which allow for more than 3 simultaneous keypresses start around ~200€ so I think I'd forget it. How can computer keyboards possibly get as expensive as a small fridge ?)

Anyway, nice read ! :wink:

Return to “Trine”