EAX in Trine

For discussion about Trine, firstly released in 2009 for Windows and on PlayStation Network.
AnnularVoid

EAX in Trine

Postby AnnularVoid » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:12 am

First, let me say that I don't have "good" ears: Setting or unsetting EAX doesn't really make much difference to my hearing in most cases. So, this is purely technical...

Since I have an X-Fi card, I usually enable EAX in games. Trine uses FMOD, which should be able to use OpenAL natively for EAX. This is the log that I see with my 64-bit Vista:

Code: Select all

DEBUG: Driver 0(Primary Sound Driver) -- does NOT support EAX
DEBUG: Driver 1(Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)) -- does NOT support EAX
DEBUG: Driver 2(SPDIF Out (Creative SB X-Fi)) -- does NOT support EAX
DEBUG: Hardware sound channels initialized: 32
DEBUG: Selected sound driver 0

And this is the log that I get when I configure ALchemy to run with the game:

Code: Select all

DEBUG: Driver 0(Primary Sound Driver) -- supports EAX
DEBUG: Driver 1(Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)) -- supports EAX
DEBUG: Hardware sound channels initialized: 64
DEBUG: Selected sound driver 0

Apparently, Trine might be making DirectSound3D calls? ALchemy seems to make the intro movies stutter, but that's the only real difference that I can see or hear. I wonder, other than the use of 64 channels, is there any benefit to running Trine with ALchemy in terms of sound effects like reverb, or would I be better off just letting the game work on its own?
Vista 64-bit

fb_joel
Site Admin

Re: EAX in Trine

Postby fb_joel » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:41 pm

There is no benefit, or at least none that I know of. The game was not developed with EAX in mind (we supported EAX in the Shadowgrounds games a little bit). So whatever EAX stuff there is in the game, it's leftovers from the SG games... As a sidescrolling platformer, Trine doesn't benefit that much from EAX, so we never gave it much thought. For the same reason the game also doesn't properly support 5.1 sound systems etc, it's mostly just stereo.

Sorry!
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

xor1337

Postby xor1337 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:28 pm

I would highly suggest using the EAX setting and if you have windows 7, run ALchemy with this game.
without EAX and ALchemy my center channel is silent, but with it, everything sounds great and positionally correct.
The Arrow shooting sounds come out the center channel, and then hit something in the far right, and the clunk comes out the right channel.

fb_joel
Site Admin

Postby fb_joel » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks for that. Sounds like it could be useful to others with a similar setup. Glad to hear the game apparently does benefit from EAX a bit sometimes (probably sheer luck/old configs that just happen to work in Trine too, but hey everything counts). :)
// Joel, Frozenbyte team

sotgr

Postby sotgr » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:15 pm

If you have a card that supports hardware 3D and EAX etc. use ALchemy/whatever else similar software you have!

I just tried using ALchemy on Trine and the game sounds sooo much better now :mrgreen: It really does use EAX and stuff, it sounds just amazing!

Return to “Trine”